The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article]Gallagher: No time for Chris Higgins to be inconsistent

TheMohammadman

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like a good time to bump this dumbass thread.

Higgins.

4 goals / on pace for a handsome 25, which is not unrealistic for a healthy Higgins.

Relative corsi of +9.9 is 4th on the Canucks. What makes that extremely impressive? The fact that he is getting only 34.5% offensive zone starts - akin to a shutdown role (also in the top 4 forwards in terms of quality of competition - and is an even ) in that context). All things considered, he's pretty much neck and neck with Henrik for the most outstanding numbers on the team. Those are his underlying numbers after 10 games - he's actually turned it up over the past 3 imo.

As usual Higgins has a 2:1 takeaway to giveaway ratio - perenially he is among the best in the NHL (+223 for his career).

Inconsistent. Pffftttt. He has scored at a 20 goal pace since the day he arrived here, and has always, whether he is 'hot' or not at the moment, been a buzzsaw of a hardworker who brings it every shift.

He also has 22 hits already this season. Throw in a game winning goal for good measure.

He's fast, he's aggressive, he's intelligent and he's a very key player in the team's success.

He's also a hell of a bang for the buck player at merely 2.5 million (can't believe people continue to complain about this guy).

A 40 point 3rd line forward is elite - who can easily step into the top 6 when needed and always provide a solid two way game - great value and versatility.

If he hadn't scored a goal yet this season, his underlying numbers/performance would still spell unsung.

Tony may be consistent, but what that consists of is a high assinine factor.

Give Higgins the credit he has earned and deserves.

Seems like a good time to bump this dumbass thread.

Higgins.

4 goals / on pace for a handsome 25, which is not unrealistic for a healthy Higgins.

Relative corsi of +9.9 is 4th on the Canucks. What makes that extremely impressive? The fact that he is getting only 34.5% offensive zone starts - akin to a shutdown role (also in the top 4 forwards in terms of quality of competition - and is an even ) in that context). All things considered, he's pretty much neck and neck with Henrik for the most outstanding numbers on the team. Those are his underlying numbers after 10 games - he's actually turned it up over the past 3 imo.

As usual Higgins has a 2:1 takeaway to giveaway ratio - perenially he is among the best in the NHL (+223 for his career).

Inconsistent. Pffftttt. He has scored at a 20 goal pace since the day he arrived here, and has always, whether he is 'hot' or not at the moment, been a buzzsaw of a hardworker who brings it every shift.

He also has 22 hits already this season. Throw in a game winning goal for good measure.

He's fast, he's aggressive, he's intelligent and he's a very key player in the team's success.

He's also a hell of a bang for the buck player at merely 2.5 million (can't believe people continue to complain about this guy).

A 40 point 3rd line forward is elite - who can easily step into the top 6 when needed and always provide a solid two way game - great value and versatility.

If he hadn't scored a goal yet this season, his underlying numbers/performance would still spell unsung.

Tony may be consistent, but what that consists of is a high assinine factor.

Give Higgins the credit he has earned and deserves.

Two things:

1. Where do you go for your underlying number stats? I enjoy looking into those numbers, it gives a really unbiased insight into how players are doing.

2. While I agree Higgins is quiet consistent during the regular season, his production has not been there when it is needed most, the playoffs. If he could pick his game up during the playoffs I would have absolutely zero problems with him, as it is, I love the way he plays. A tough player to play against because it seems his legs never stop moving.

Something I've noticed about Higgins is that he is by far one of the Canucks who get the most chances his way. You can't expect him to pot them in all the time but I've noticed he's making the most of more of his chances.

I agree. I think he has a knack for getting to and/or creating the center of the play. He is such a relentless puck hound that I think it comes with the territory. Burrows imo is the other guy on the team who is elite in that sense - but Richardson, Hansen, Kesler, Santorelli are no slouches either. That's one thing I really love about all those players - whether they have elite skill or not, they make the most of what they can control - their work ethic. I love to see them rewarded/succeed, and even when they're not producing great offensive results, they are still a serious pain in the ass to play against.

Two things:

1. Where do you go for your underlying number stats? I enjoy looking into those numbers, it gives a really unbiased insight into how players are doing.

2. While I agree Higgins is quiet consistent during the regular season, his production has not been there when it is needed most, the playoffs. If he could pick his game up during the playoffs I would have absolutely zero problems with him, as it is, I love the way he plays. A tough player to play against because it seems his legs never stop moving.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

I thought he was really good in the Cup run and pitched in with 8 points.

The last two series he struggled, but he also had a lot of infection and weight loss problems the past two years, which don't make it easy to play that style of game. When he's healthy he's very consistent imo - and if you're always healthy, you're either not human, or your name is Henrik.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

The last two series he struggled, but he also had a lot of infection and weight loss problems the past two years, which don't make it easy to play that style of game. When he's healthy he's very consistent imo - and if you're always healthy, you're either not human, or your name is Henrik.

True, forgot about the infection. Right now we could use more Henriks. Too many people getting hurt.

And thank you for the link!

http://www.behindthe... 34 45 46 63 67

That was probably due to the broken foot he sustained during the Nashvile series

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding me? He's got what, 5 goals now on the season. That puts him on pace for 20+ goals. A 20-goal scorer on a thin team for 2.5M is a bargain, considering how much energy he brings and his great PK senses too.

Higgins, Santorelli and Richardson are the only depth scorers we have right now. Burrows is still pointless on the season and yet to get into any sort of groove, Hansen didn't really put up much offence when he was healthy, Booth has been a disappointment and all these injury-replacements like Archibald, Welsh, Dalpe and Sestito belong in the AHL anyway.

Higgins is quietly one of the few bright spots on this team and he's been scoring at a consistent 20 goal pace since he came to Vancouver. He's been far more consistent than Kesler, doesn't need the Sedins to spark his game and has pretty much been the most consistent Canuck outside of the twins.

Archived