The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

extremely debatable.

Nichushkin is a 6'4 offensive beast. That said, a 6'4 offensive beast, plays the game nothing like Nash.

Virtannen is a Dustin Brown type. By far one of the nastiest hitters I've seen to come out of juniors in a long time.

Ah I really wanted to but didn't make the Dustin Brown comparison because I didn't want fans throwing a fit about how Jake is going to be "way more productive" or something.. so I chose Simmonds but I agree that Jake's closest NHL comparable is Brown

Who would you compare Valeri to, if not Nash?

Ah I really wanted to but didn't make the Dustin Brown comparison because I didn't want fans throwing a fit about how Jake is going to be "way more productive" or something.. so I chose Simmonds but I agree that Jake's closest NHL comparable is Brown

Not to be one of "those types of fans", but if Virtanen is to become a "Dustin Brown type" player, then it better be Dustin Brown from a few years ago. I get it, he brings all sorts of intangibles, but numbers have to count for something, and Browns numbers have been very 3rd line-ish the last couple of seasons.

Probably a stupid comment, but I just hope to God that Virtanens "offensive ceiling" is more than 9 goals and 14 assists in 56 games.

Not to be one of "those types of fans", but if Virtanen is to become a "Dustin Brown type" player, then it better be Dustin Brown from a few years ago. I get it, he brings all sorts of intangibles, but numbers have to count for something, and Browns numbers have been very 3rd line-ish the last couple of seasons.

Probably a stupid comment, but I just hope to God that Virtanens "offensive ceiling" is more than 9 goals and 14 assists in 56 games.

Clearly that's not the ceiling if you're hoping he can be Brown from a few years back

And obviously I am not maxing Jake's NHL production at Brown's - we'll have to see how his game translates. He could easily be a lot better, or in the ball park.

Maybe more Alexei Kovalev. Nash is a very strong player even when he entered the leauge, he was an outstanding north south player. Valeri is more skilled based game.

Here's hoping even if Virtannen can put up Marco Sturm type of numbers while providing us an physical presence and intimidating the opponents defencemens.

Maybe more Alexei Kovalev. Nash is a very strong player even when he entered the leauge, he was an outstanding north south player. Valeri is more skilled based game.

Here's hoping even if Virtannen can put up Marco Sturm type of numbers while providing us an physical presence and intimidating the opponents defencemens.

Kovalev? Not big enough nor fast enough to be a Nichushkin comparable - also his hands are way too great for Nichushkin in comparison. The only commonality between the two is nationality really..

Maybe Malkin as a winger with less creativity but more speed

what did i just read? after one year in the league?

what if Bo next game gets hammered into the boards, gets concussed and turns into david booth 2.0?

the last time he was scratched it was January 2014. So last year. What if Bo goes on a sophmore slump or comes back down to earth?

I 100% disagree with your "steadily declining" comment. You want evidence of steadily declining, look no further then the Sedin twins...

Disagree on the Sedin's "steady" decline. Aside from their few 100+ point seasons they have, since becoming star players, scored roughly 74-82 points. Last season was the first season they scored less than 70 points (or in case of injuries or shortened season were on pace for that). This season they are back on pace for 70 points again. I agree they've declined from their absolute pinnacle, but it isn't like they've fallen off of the face of the earth. They just aren't in the top 5 offensive players in the league any more.

Not much to debate

• Things they have in common - speed, acceleration, shooting
  • Things Jake brings - physicality, grit, hitting
  • Things Nichushkin brings - creativity, passing, reach (6'4")
Virtanen is a Wayne Simmonds-type player

Nichushkin is a Rick Nash-type player

EDIT: both very valuable players, but different beasts

Check their birth certificates and you need go no further

Kovalev? Not big enough nor fast enough to be a Nichushkin comparable - also his hands are way too great for Nichushkin in comparison. The only commonality between the two is nationality really..

Maybe Malkin as a winger with less creativity but more speed

Nichushkin is going to be a really good player when he gets healthy.

I'd compare him in terms of size, skill and game to Marian Hossa.

Nichushkin is going to be a really good player when he gets healthy.

I'd compare him in terms of size, skill and game to Marian Hossa.

If he reaches that potential at the NHL level. Otherwise he can be a Bernier for all we know. Likewise Bo isn't Bergeron, not a given. They have to earn it.

I'll admit, at first, I was a little pissed that we didn't get more for Schneider, and that I wanted Nichuskin who I thought had more potential and upside than Horvat.

But now, I think Horvat was the right pick. He's the kind of guy EVERY team would want. Character guy, captain material, good body, good work ethic, posses a good playmaking ability as well as great defensive awareness. etc...

When you compare Horvat to Nichuskin, there are a lot of things that Horvat has in his toolbox than Nichuskin. Nevertheless, both are solid prospects. Both play a solid game that easily translates the to NHL.

Bo knows.

Lots of players are having this Hip surgery

Butterfly goalies because of that style are getting the surgery in record numbers

Some players include Eddie Lack, Pekka Rinne, Eric Comrie, Tim Thomas, Nic Backstrom, Emery, Brent Johnson, Josh Harding, Our Thatcher Demko will be getting the surgery in the off season.

Of course Shinkaruk and now Nicushkin

If he reaches that potential at the NHL level. Otherwise he can be a Bernier for all we know. Likewise Bo isn't Bergeron, not a given. They have to earn it.

True - both players still have a lot to prove and are only getting started

I'll admit, at first, I was a little pissed that we didn't get more for Schneider, and that I wanted Nichuskin who I thought had more potential and upside than Horvat.

But now, I think Horvat was the right pick. He's the kind of guy EVERY team would want. Character guy, captain material, good body, good work ethic, posses a good playmaking ability as well as great defensive awareness. etc...

When you compare Horvat to Nichuskin, there are a lot of things that Horvat has in his toolbox than Nichuskin. Nevertheless, both are solid prospects. Both play a solid game that easily translates the to NHL.

Bo knows.

You can say the same thing about Nichushkin though - there's no point comparing the two because they fill two different needs. We needed Horvat more, and Dallas needed Nichushkin more

Horvat 42 gp 16 points

Nichushkin 83 gp 34 points

Both players are good,it depends on what the teams need is. Eg a flashy winger with size or a 2-way player

Nichushkin better shot and more skill

Horvat- more of a shut down guy with decent skill. Good at faceoffs.

Nichushkin got those points playing with one of the best duos in the NHL. Bo's got his points playing ~10 minutes a night on the fourth line in mainly a shutdown role.

Archived