The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Shot blocking really sustainable?

PlayStation

(Didnt put in the PGT because I feel its something that can be discussed throughout the next couple of games)

We have 81 more games to go, and while watching the game tonight I cringed a couple of times when guys who have gone months on the IR in the past took some blocks and appeared to be in some discomfort.

Can a team which has had as many injury problems in the past as the Canucks afford to take so many blocks and be healthy come playoff time? I personally would love to see blocks in the playoffs, but I dont think the regular season is the place for it. Yes in certain cases a block may be best, but I feel players were going down for the sake of going down. It will eventually take a toll.

Also saw a bunch of pucks almost go up high and hit guys in the face, yikes!

Add this:

@sportsnetmurph: Saw Burrows limping quite badly out of #canucks room when media was let in.

This is the NHL, you do everything you can to win your team the game. Play hard every single night, that's Torts' motto. There's no such thing as "save it for the playoffs" every game counts. Do it all the time, or don't do it at all.

We lost the game tonight not because we didn't work hard, they worked their buts off, and it was a close game, but the Sharks are too talented and we have them too many odd man rushes

If the team has a problem blocking shots they'll make more of an effort to take the puck away and control play more.

I don't have a huge problem shot blocking, but I do have a problem with puck control if they don't turn the puck over as often as they did tonight they won't need to block so many shots.

Some teams like the Sharks will take shots at the blocking Canucks because they seem to get off on it. Meanwhile, most teams will get frustrated at their shots being blocked and try to go for that extra pass. I personally don;t think its a great idea, they seem to cause problems deflecting shots and screening the goalie. I think blocking shots needs to be done when called for and not have people diving in front of shots that the goalie can easily save.

Archived