The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers, Sabres working on major trade

Ryan Miller for Nail Yakupov?:

And just so you know, there was talk Wednesday afternoon that the Sabres were working on a deal with Edmonton that would send Ryan Miller or Thomas Vanek and possibly both to the Oilers in a package that would bring Nail Yakupov and more to Buffalo. Whether it actually happens is another story. But as it stood Wednesday, the two sides had considered, or were considering, a major swap.

Miller is in the final year of his contract. The Oilers wouldn’t make the deal unless they could convince him to sign a contract extension. Edmonton is a great hockey town. The Oilers are on the rise. They could be a goaltender away from getting back into contention.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/word-is-getting-around-on-darcy-sabres-making-deal-20131016

Even though Miller is an upgraded on Dubnyk, Edmonton major's problem is more on defense than in net. Myers going back to the West coast??

Myers+Miller vs Yakupov + ?

Highly doubt Vanek and Miller both goes in the same trade, well for one because of cap space, but also Buffalo would get way more for them separately than combined.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trade-rumours-oilers-sabres-talking-monster-trade-ryan-miller-tomas-vanek-nail-yakupov/

Rumour has is Buffalo is trying to send BOTH Vanek and Miller to Edmonton for Yakupov plus 2 big prospects.

Only thing I don't get is how would this work financially as Edmonton would be well over the cap. Also, why would they trade Yakupov and get Vanek in return? Almost a lateral move though Vanek is better considering defense is their position of weakness.

I think it's pretty safe to assume either Vanek or Miller or both are going to Edmonton (maybe Myers as well? Edmonton needs a big, young defenseman).

I would think it would be one of these scenarios (I'm not great at judging value so please correct me of any problems):

Yakupov+1 1st pick for Vanek

Dubnyk+2 1st picks for Miller+Myers

Yakupov+Dubnyk+2 1st pick for Vanek+ Miller+Myers

Archived