The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth scratched yet again

Everybody Hates Raymond

As of the last 4 or 5 games Booth has been playing the same as Burrows,Hank,Dank,Kes,Santa,and everyone of our D men so singling him, out for no production is a bit unfair.

Our whole team STINKS right now with bad passing in all three zones terrible first passes from our D and lazy flat footed uninspired stick checking.

Good teams don't lose three in a row.

As of the last 4 or 5 games Booth has been playing the same as Burrows,Hank,Dank,Kes,Santa,and everyone of our D men so singling him, out for no production is a bit unfair.

Our whole team STINKS right now with bad passing in all three zones terrible first passes from our D and lazy flat footed uninspired stick checking.

I think Kassian deserves to be scratched or sent down as much as Booth does. The only reason he's not in the dog hous is because it would make gillis look like an idiot

Where are the tools from the offseason who were raving about his corsi numbers and how Booth just needed a chance...I told ya then and it's in front of your eyes now...Maybe you ought to give torts a call and the rest of the league and remind them how they're idiots and you know better again.

So just bury him in the press box and make no attempt to boost his value enough for someone to take a chance on him?

We're not gonna lose games because Booth is in the lineup. We are gonna lose games if nothing is done to try and trade him and use his cap space on a player that has an impact.

Poor asset management as usual.

He has zero trade value because of his salary and play.

I recall being ecstatic that we acquired Booth, who I'd only seen in highlights of the Panthers and that guy was a dynamic scoring power-forward, but I guess the fit just isn't working out, it's just downright terrible. At least Ballard showed us glimpses of what he possessed, looks like Booth left his stellar play back in Florida. Did the guy forget how to score?

He isn't the worst player on the team. Play him. The problem is there isn't anyone in the top 6 wingers that deserves to lose their spot to Booth.

So 4th line it is.

I think it has more to do with having too many of a certain type of player.

We need to put a package together to upgrade our forward group...

Although at this point if Gillis blows another trade it could be the end of this team competitively.

Thank you. The negativity on this board is sickening.

Will waiving him do anything to help our cap situation? No.

Is any team going to trade for him and that contract right now? No.

Is buying him out going to give us cap relief? Not until the next off-season.

If Booth returns to pre-injury Booth, can he be a valuable asset to our top 6? Hell yes he can.

Since there's nothing we can do but wait, why not just get behind the dude?

For me, I can't get behind such a blatant hypocrite not matter if he was a 50 goal scorer. Throwing out bible quotes left right and center, and not cluing into how unloving ungodly and downright azzholish to go shoot animals for sport, just rubs me the wrong way. Sorry if you have no integrity and are offended by that

Shows a lot about the quality of his mentality.

Torts thinks it's a mental issue though...that he's playing guarded as a result of his injuries and not "letting go" out there. So that explains it...says it's a process post injury and he isn't there yet. So not so much about building physical stamina and endurance, more confidence and not playing in a way that's focused on protecting against further injury.

Exactly how I feel.

If scratching a guy doesn't work the first time, the odds of it working the third and fourth time go way down.

The only move they have left is to just play him and let him work himself out of his funk. That's the only way players accomplish this. Telling a player to score and then scratching them when they don't is probably the worst motivator possible.

Torts is a good motivator for guys who are going, unfortunately I'm not so sure about his ability to get guys going who are not. (see Brad Richards)

Torts is a good motivator for guys who aren't mentally handicapped. Still works with the Brad Richards bit too.

Torts thinks it's a mental issue though...that he's playing guarded as a result of his injuries and not "letting go" out there. So that explains it...says it's a process post injury and he isn't there yet. So not so much about building physical stamina and endurance, more confidence and not playing in a way that's focused on protecting against further injury.

I think it's a mental issue too, as you can see from my last 2 posts. It IS a mental issue. He's mental.

Booth has become the new scapegoat, and it is understandable given his injuries. However, the sample size is still too small to write him off completely.

Burrows

0 goals / 3 assists / 11 games / -6 /2:23 PP TOI / top 6 line mates & minutes

Booth

0 goals / 3 assists / 13 games / +3 / 0:34 PP TOI / bottom 6 line mates & minutes

Booth and Burrows have played an identical number of minutes 5 on 5. Booth is +9 better and offensively they are equal with Burrows getting 4x the power play time and better line mates.

Why does Burrows suck so far? He is coming back from injury on a team that can't score!

Give it time. I am at wits end but it is still too early. Playing in multiple hockey pools some you realize it isn't uncommon for a good player (Simmonds, Voracek, Stewart etc) to have a horrific stretch of 15-20 games before getting going.

Salary still counts against the cap....

According to a search on Wikipedia for "Waivers (NHL)" has a section called

"Use of waivers in salary cap era": "Under the 2013 CBA, a team only derives a specific savings from demoting a player on a one-way contract to the AHL. This savings is calculated as league minimum plus $375,000."

So from the looks of it, we'd get not quite a million back in cap space. Not even close to the 4.5 we're paying him....

Archived