The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Martin Erat

Oh, he's had very little chance with us so far, where he had some with Carolina in the past. Even then, considering value, I'm not sure Washington would take Schroeder for Orlov.

Schroeder has an identical peak 44 point AHL season under his belt, half the NHL games and less than half the NHL points as Orlov. This despite being older, and a forward.

Hard to argue Schroeder has the value to secure Orlov... Course George traded Forsburg for Erat?

My issue with this is as follows.

Erat is on the wane in his career.

Booth is still young and could improve again.

Erat higher cap hit

Booth bigger faster body

I just don't see Erat as being the end all be all for trades. If it is Booth for Erat it is barely a sideways trade in my opinion. But if it is a package deal that sees us netting Orlov/Brouwer/Johanssen than welcome to the team Erat.

Again, With Booth we have future potential. with Erat we see a person who might stay steady in production, but could possibly be on the wane as ti is. I think the worst possible outcome is a trade happens, Erat doesn't produce and Booth catches fire back in the skate happy east

Remember that I never proposed booth for Erat. All I've done is point out that booth isn't worth Erat. Honestly, that doesn't say much about Erat's worth either considering how bad booth has looked for yrs now. I don't want either of them. I want the cap space. I want a big trade. I want to trade players, like you do, that have worth, so we get a great package back. This team is stagnant, and in desperate need of a change. I also never said it was impossible to move guys with ntc's. in fact, most of my earliest proposals involved guys with ntc's and ppl kept bringing that point up rather than discussing the value and needs of both teams; with me assuming that the hockey knowledge on these forums was higher than most. Obviously ntc's can be worked out. It's happened before, so it can happen again but I bring it up so that guys responding don't say " but what about the NTC" etc etc. Gillis needs to figure this out now while these players have decent value, for this yr and on because the process isn't working as well as he thinks

Here's some ideas on the Erat and Orlov situation from a 'Caps Insider'

http://www.csnwashin...s-do-erat-orlov

That might work for them, but I don't see that helping us. We've already got a logjam of forwards who aren't scoring and need to clear both cap and roster space from that group. To add a forward like Erat but not move one like Booth (who suddenly is playing well) just doesn't work as it'd mean guys like Dalpe, Schroeder, Weise, etc. will inevitably get pushed to waivers.

The only possibility I see for that (which is slim in the first place considering we'd be trading a D who's from here and has an NTC) is if other deals are coming - a deal or deals involving Luongo, Booth and possibly other forwards with the idea of clearing space in preparation of getting younger for next year.

We don't need Neuvirth to replace Lack, we don't need Erat to add to Booth and the other forwards we already have, and Orlov has potential but would make more sense as a replacement for Edler and is a downgrade on anyone we already have. Even looking to add Johansen (what would we have to give up to add him?) would further add to the forward logjam unless we're moving other forwards, and there'd be the cap to consider as well.

Here's some ideas on the Erat and Orlov situation from a 'Caps Insider'

http://www.csnwashin...s-do-erat-orlov

That trade is just ugly. Looks like CDC isn't the only place where people try to trade trash for good players. Hamhuis for an aging forward (we don't need another forward who can't score) a Russian d-man who has a I'm going home clause (we don't need another offensive defenseman who can't play in his end) and a goalie for some reason..what the hell do we do with Lack then? Not a single player in that deal helps us even a little but completely stabilizes their d-corps.

I'm not comfortable giving away assets unless this team can show it's still got it.

Right now we're more than a player like Erat away from being able to compete. Giving away picks and/or prospects at this point would likely be a waste.

I'm starting to come to the realization that it just might not be our year. And it's better that we start gearing up for next season when we have more cap space and young players that are ready to make an impact.

I'm not comfortable giving away assets unless this team can show it's still got it.

Right now we're more than a player like Erat away from being able to compete. Giving away picks and/or prospects at this point would likely be a waste.

I'm starting to come to the realization that it just might not be our year. And it's better that we start gearing up for next season when we have more cap space and young players that are ready to make an impact.

Agree 100%, Erat is not the guy we need at all. We have enough third liners and that's what he is at this point in his career.

Guys you have to be careful. Think about why would the Cap puts Erat on the 4th line? Is the Cap coaching staff the dumbest people in the world? I doubt it. Erat probably have lots of problems, that led him to get there. Maybe he isn't fit to play anymore. Or he doesn't have heart. Do you really want a potential unfit player or potential locker room cancer (or both) in our team?

Erat have 0 goals, 7 assists, 17 shots in 24 games and he cannot play the physical game, for a salary of over $4m. This guy is gonna to somehow help us? You guys might use the "he is on the 4th line" as an excuse. But Lappy (4th line pretty much 24/7) still scored more than 0.

And I understand that many of you are disappointed at Booth. But you guys are seriously going a bit nuts. Booth still got 3 goals, 3 assists in 16 games (isn't even that bad, considering he just came back from an injury). And Booth is 5 years younger. Why in the world would you trade Booth for Erat? And some of you even think the Caps won't even take Booth for Erat. >_>

Think logically please!

I won't even trade a 4th pick for Erat at this point. 0 goals in 24 games said it all. If you think Ballard sucks, even he got 4 assists in 12 games.

I understand what your all saying about the pros and cons but first of all booth does not play well with Santorelli and if you guys are so worried about screwing around with the lines than how about trading away a guy like Andrew Alberts and a draft pick(2rd) just because alby is way better than torts is allowing him to be and another thing is that he also able to play as a forward which for many teams is a plus and in trading alby you can bring weber back up and than he can show torts that he deserves some games. another thing is all of this moving players around from line to line is not helping the team cause you get some players who were doing really good with there line mates and producing points who get moved and cant produce anything we just need to create lines that would work for every one and keep them there.

If Gillis is interested in Erat then he hasn't learned a dam thing from any of the florida deals and should be promptly fired.

Gillis is "trying" to make the team have more of a size and physical play so that teams have more trouble contending but he's not going to be able unless he gives up a big asset and if he's smart he wont do that

That was confusing. Martin Erat scored 4 goals in 36 games played first line minutes in Nashville. In Booth's first season in Vancouver he scored 16 in 56.

yes erat did score only four goals but he also had 17 assist and we have to remember that last year was a short 48 game season.

http://www.japersrin...at-it-all-means

excerpt:

Compounding Erat's difficulties fitting in on the ice, Oates moved him from the right wing - where he'd played the overwhelming majority of his NHL career - to the left, in keeping with his bordering-on-obsessive belief that left-handed skaters should play on the left and righties on the right. That runs fairly contrary to how many if not most Europeans are brought up... but hey, it worked for Alex Ovechkin.

The inevitable conclusion, then, is that either McPhee and Oates weren't - or aren't - on the same page regarding the personnel the coach needs to effectively implement his system, or the team did a poor job of scouting Erat pre-acquisition. Or both. (There is, of course, a third option - that Erat got really bad really fast, but underlying numbers suggest that isn't the case.)

Ultimately, Caps fans are left with more questions than answers, and they're not insignificant inquiries, either. Is there a cohesive vision for what this team should be and what type of players that requires? Is the coach able to adapt his system to maximize the utility of the assets he's presented with (or adapt those assets to the system)? Is the general manager able to provide the coach with what he needs in order to be successful? Ironically, for all of the (well-justified) angst over the player the Caps traded to acquire Erat, the real concerns regarding the deal run much, much deeper.

• 2 months later...
Martin Erat, 32, who just returned to Washington after representing the Czech Republic in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, said Wednesday he still wants the Capitals to trade him but declined to elaborate further.

“If he still wants to be traded, we’ll try to accommodate it,” McPhee said, acknowledging that with the NHL salary cap AT a low $64.3 million this season it’s been a challenge to oblige Erat. “It’s been a difficult year with transactions. had this been a typical year, we might have been able to move him within weeks of his request but that wasn’t the case this year.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2014/02/26/martin-erat-still-wants-the-capitals-to-trade-him/

Archived