The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL about to reach Canadian broadcasting deal, only TWO broadcasters

CBC FIRES: MARK LEE.

HIRES: GORD MILLER.

CBC FIRES: GLENN HEALY

HIRES: BOB MACKENZIE

I'm sure you can all do the rest for me ;) the other village idiots on CBC can go to.

Chris Cuthbert will probably stay with TSN because of CFL football. Too bad.. I thought he was one of the better commentators out there.

And don't worry, Bobby Mac will find a job very fast. He is THE BEST in the business at what he does.

You do understand that there might not be anyone working for CBC hockey anymore right? Rogers has the final decision of what goes on the air.......

All the on air personalities will just get shifted ... wouldn't be surprised if Sportsnet raided some TSN characters. Good thing maybe is that we get rid of the fluff ... like Healy.

Or we can all boycott Rogers and watch it livestream :ph34r:

... ooops, forgot that 1/2 of us pay Rogers for internet, so you can't get away from Rogers.

Well for being such fierce competitors it's not like TSN and Rogers haven't shared people before. After all, Don Taylor works the afternoon shift on team 1040 (Bell aka BCE aka the company that also owns TSN) and that evening goes and then anchors the sportscast on Rogers, often on the very same day.

So you never know. For example, if Rogers DOES keep the HNIC crew together, I wouldn't be suprised if they try to talk Hughson into doing the Wednesday night game as well. (And since they will have the "do it or be unemployed" hammer they would be in a good position for those talks!).

Personally, this development is like a huge win for me, as i've been against both TO-centric networks for years and years. Now that TSN will evaporate and the CBC's balls will be chopped off, I cannot help but bathe in the tears of their (inevitable) defeat.

Next season, both Cherry (and probably MacLean) will likely be gone too. Along with several other TO-based underqualified homers from both networks. An added bonus.

SN just has to scoop up their good people (small list) and they'll be fine. Not worried about a potential decline in broadcast quality from them, because they can't really get worse.

HUGE win here. End of an era of TO evil. (until SN joins suit)

How do you figure? Sportsnet is based in Toronto and it's parent company owns 37.5 % of MLSE and a majority stake in the Toronto Blue Jays and appears to be very interested in the NFL. This is just as Toronto centric as it ever was. Don't get regional broadcasts confused with national coverage.

The only hope for this deal to be a good thing is for Sportsnet to immediately start poaching TSN's talent. I think any smart analyst or producer at TSN can see the writing on the wall that TSN and hockey are done, and hopefully the bigwigs like Bob MacKenzie and Darren Dreger will switch over to Sportsnet so they can keep us informed about hockey. I really hope this means that some of the clowns on Sportsnet will be on their way out, or at least relegated to talking about Edmonton and Ottawa, teams no one cares about. TSN is going the way of the dodo just like ESPN will with the rise of CBS sports, Sportsnet will be all hockey all the time. TSN made a play at the radio business and failed, now they have failed on the TV side. As much as I hate Rogers, this was a smart move on their part.

So what happens to the "Hockey Theme" that TSN/Bell Media paid $3 million for? Sure they can still use that theme for their regional NHL coverage but other then that, the "Hockey Theme" on TSN would be kind of useless! Maybe Rogers can work out a deal to buy the "Hockey Theme" from them and put it back on HNIC where it belongs!?

Rogers is spending more money per capita in Canada for the rights than is spent in the US for the NFL rights.

$400+ Million in Canada X 10 times the population = $4+ Billion in the US

vs $3.8 Billion for NFL rights in the US

Another interesting stat:

Rogers deal: 5.2 B over 12 years ---> 433 M a year average

NBC deal: 2 B over 10 years ---> 200 M a year average

Again, the US population is 10 times larger than ours.

I wonder if having this deal will land QC a team very soon... Rogers needs to make some money back; having another Canadian team will certainly help that.

I still think CBC should be able to cover all All Star Games and playoff games involving Canadian teams. It's just outrageous how much CBC has to pay to keep their rights

Plus, CBC is available to every regular cheap cable package that people pay. So it'll reach at least 25-30 million Canadians guaranteed. With Sportsnet or TSN, it's not a guarantee.

That's so true, I remember back in the day even when you didn't plug in your cable and there was fuzz on every channel only one channel worked: CBC.

Not sure why people are pooping their pampers over this.

1. I can finally watch Canucks games on Sportsnet in Manitoba, without having to buy Center Ice.

2. For those saying "DERP SN!@! TSN iz Wayz bettrsz!" I assume Rogers will pillage all of TSN's talent and bring them over to improve the quality of their programming. That's TV Broadcasting 101.

That's only when there's competition. Who will Sportsnet compete with for hockey coverage once they own the broadcasting market?

They can keep paying Kypreos and whoever to run their mouths, and there won't be a damn thing you do about it if you want to watch live NHL hockey.

I hope Aaron Ward finds a job on either CBC or SN.

He's a few former player turned analyst who isn't a complete idiot and actually knows the fundamental of the game.

yeah ward is a favourite of mine, along with Bob McKenzie, Darren Dutchyshen and James Duthie

am I the only person a little ticked that American teams will be benefiting from the windfall of the Canadian market???

while mr. Bettman is busy moving franchises away from Canada, Canadian markets have to subsidize American teams..

how about the American teams share the puny tv money from NBC, and the 7 Canadian teams keep the money from rogers??? more fair that way..

How long is the NHL going to subsidize deadbeat American franchises that will NEVER MAKE A DIME

Been watching the feed lately. I think it's going to end up costing us all more money, and the regular fan will get more games.

I'm just wondering if my Sportnets package is still going to cost $5 or if they're going to jack it up $15 - $20 a month. This would be not bad for the average fan but if I get the the Center Ice package anyway I'll get the exact same coverage, for I'm guessing more money.

am I the only person a little ticked that American teams will be benefiting from the windfall of the Canadian market???

while mr. Bettman is busy moving franchises away from Canada, Canadian markets have to subsidize American teams..

how about the American teams share the puny tv money from NBC, and the 7 Canadian teams keep the money from rogers??? more fair that way..

How long is the NHL going to subsidize deadbeat American franchises that will NEVER MAKE A DIME

They just brought the Winnipeg Jets back...

Rogers also gets exclusive editorial rights. Our complete hockey watching experience is going to be controlled by one company. This is a terrible thing for us. But well played Mr. Bettman, you're now able to subsidize all your crap southern franchises at the expense of all of us Canadian fools

Archived