The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL about to reach Canadian broadcasting deal, only TWO broadcasters

Hmmm, didn't realise this means Roger's basically has control of EVERYTHING.

I thought for sure TSN would go all in with CTV (same company) and try to steal HNIC from the CBC (which I would love) but I guess Rogers runs everything now?

That's how it seems

Rogers has control over HNIC now

HNC is now pretty much SN

SN will not charge fees and etc but CBC pays all revenue to SN for HNC

Who won't they charge fees to? Once I had the monopoly for hockey I would be licking my chops next time it came to negotiate how much I charge to actually WATCH the sportsnet channels.

Sure, they will toss out some games on CBC (for four more years) and will then toss out the odd token game on City (not sure what channel that is here but I know we get it) but you can bet the meat on the bones will be on sportsnet.

And make no mistake, if I was them, I would be charging out the *** for it.

Sportsnet is going to cover the costs of HNIC in exchange for the revenue and this was the only way..

HNIC wont die it should have today,Everyone wants it to survive.CBC was included cause all parties wanted the brand alive,it may be extended but if SN wants to try and create a similar brand like USA and football sunday then big changes are on the horizon

"TORONTO - Canada's hockey TV landscape underwent a seismic shift Tuesday as Rogers Communications wrested control of NHL multimedia rights with a blockbuster 12-year, $5.2-billion agreement".

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadian-press-newsalert-nhl-rogers-reach-12-broadcast-121029252--nhl.html

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is...holy salary cap increase!

1479458_590439307672088_1285377712_n.jpg

If the new deal means I get more options on games, I like that. Means I'm not forced to have the Leafs crammed down my throat every Saturday and can watch a game with players I'd rather see. Or if the game I'm watching turns out to be a dud, flip it to a better one.

Alright now here's what should happen.

Get Ray Ferraro and Mike Johnson over to CBC for between the benches.

Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert for play by play to CBC.

Duthie to host the panel over at CBC.

Replace PJ Stock with Nick Kypreos.

Keep Ron McLean and Don Cherry for Coach Corner only, nothing else.

Send Aaron Ward or Peca to Hockeycentral.

Drop Kevin Weekes from CBC panel, add Jaime McLennan.

Send Darren Dreger to Sportsnet and Bob McKenzie over to Hockeycentral.

Add an all hockey show that is 30min to SN360 and get some of the TSN players and analysts on it.

Also, get rid of Kelly Hrudey from everything. The guy really sucks.

Sportsnet is going to cover the costs of HNIC in exchange for the revenue and this was the only way..

HNIC wont die it should have today,Everyone wants it to survive.CBC was included cause all parties wanted the brand alive,it may be extended but if SN wants to try and create a similar brand like USA and football sunday then big changes are on the horizon

It's effectively dead. If Roger's wanted Don Taylor to do the play by play of the Leaf's game with John Garrett doing the colour and only cover the one game, they could.

I don't think they will but CBC's HNIC has four years of life support before it's dead for real. And it's entirely reasonable to expect you won't recognise it, for good or bad, well before that time.

Make no mistake, Rogers is in charge of all hockey broadcasts in Canada.

Add an all hockey show that is 30min to SN360 and get some of the TSN players and analysts on it.

Fire all of CBC hockey night in Canada. Hire a few people (pretty sure Hughson hasn't burned his bridges from his beginnings at sportsnet for example) that you feel are key to the Saturday night broadcast. Air your Saturday night Rogers Hockey Night in Canada on City and CBC for four years with CBC getting the amount of commercials as per their agreement but all content to be done by Rogers. After four years stop the CBC portion and just air the national game on City, or Sportsnet One, or some other Rogers owned property.

That's what is going to happen.

All the on air personalities will just get shifted ... wouldn't be surprised if Sportsnet raided some TSN characters. Good thing maybe is that we get rid of the fluff ... like Healy.

Or we can all boycott Rogers and watch it livestream :ph34r:

... ooops, forgot that 1/2 of us pay Rogers for internet, so you can't get away from Rogers.

Nah man you have to trade Aaron Ward to unemployment

#Confirmed

CBC FIRES: MARK LEE.

HIRES: GORD MILLER.

CBC FIRES: GLENN HEALY

HIRES: BOB MACKENZIE

I'm sure you can all do the rest for me ;) the other village idiots on CBC can go to.

Chris Cuthbert will probably stay with TSN because of CFL football. Too bad.. I thought he was one of the better commentators out there.

And don't worry, Bobby Mac will find a job very fast. He is THE BEST in the business at what he does.

CBC FIRES: MARK LEE.

HIRES: GORD MILLER.

CBC FIRES: GLENN HEALY

HIRES: BOB MACKENZIE

I'm sure you can all do the rest for me ;) the other village idiots on CBC can go to.

Chris Cuthbert will probably stay with TSN because of CFL football. Too bad.. I thought he was one of the better commentators out there.

And don't worry, Bobby Mac will find a job very fast. He is THE BEST in the business at what he does.

Cuthbert is my all time favourite. I could see him jumping ship to sportsnet.

He called the game 7 nux vs flames 2004 series correct?

Naslund dashing in! 15 seconds to go.... markus naslund TO THE NET... shoots... scores! SCORESSSS, MATT COOKE CASHING IIN!

No way heally keeps a job can't wait to sing nananan nananana hey hey hey.... gooooodbyeeee

Archived