The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL about to reach Canadian broadcasting deal, only TWO broadcasters

I expect we will see a number of the TSN team working for Sportsnet, they are going to have to hire a bunch of people.

Coming soon, "This is Bob Mackenzie for Sportsnet."

"This is Bob Mackenzie for ESPN"

If sportsnet doesn't hire him maybe he's the new NBC guy and you won't have to worry about Bob polluting the Canadian airwaves!

I ,for one, am glad TSN is gone....Even when a canuck game was being played. TSN made the broadcast into something about the leafs.( TSN owning a 50% share in the company that owns the leafs might say something). TSN could have bucked up.. but they didn't. Yet even without bucking up, They cant even shut up.. Tsn twitter feeds( aww.. poor me.. poor.. me). James Duthie. Bob Mac can all suck it... If they wanted sympathy, they might have been a little less PRO-Leafs, And more Pro- Canadian hockey!

Yeah thats why I said "now and then" I hate that we get constant Leaf talk, but there presentation was great, and it was nice to have every now and then.

Now sn can start to hire the guys you all like and take them away from tsn

Maybe to host the premium, PPV games. Like the ones on Saturday night once the sub deal with the CBC is done.

Someone really needs to look at the deals of this contract. It sounds increadibly scary to me.

So does TSN still get Wednesday games and Sunday Games, i.e. the NBC Games still?

No; the Wednesday right were sold to Rogers. TSN will not be able to broadcast any national NHL games; they still have rights to some Winnipeg and Toronto games, but those will be be local (only Manitoba and Ontario will be able to view them)

Bob McCown and the boys batted this around for about an hour and a half on (Rogers Sportsnet) Prime Time Sports this afternoon. For those worried about cost, it sounds like we will get what we get now (or slightly more) for around the same cost. But there will be a level or two of added coverage for those that want to pay extra for it, including a facsimile of Bell centre ice. The feeling on Don Cherry was that, while he may be retained in some fashion, the 'Coaches Corner' days are probably over because a private company can't bear the same heat as the public broadcaster can (consumer boycotts, CRTC complaints etc)

Archived