The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL about to reach Canadian broadcasting deal, only TWO broadcasters

Is anyone concerned that

a) the HNIC deal is only for 4 more years - what happens after that? Does it suddenly become Rogers Night In Canada? (ugh)

B) CBC now loses all advertising revenue, which was used to create more original programming

c) Rogers now has editorial control over a Canadian institution.

I'm not a fan of the Leafs or anything, but I do see CBC's value to the country as a whole. And I don't like the thought of it being sold out to the private sector.

• 5 months later...

Cole, Romanuk, Hughson, Randorf to do play-by-play for Rogers hockey

Tuesday, June 3rd 2014, 4:36 am

the canadian press

TORONTO - Jim Hughson, Dave Randorf, Paul Romanuk and Bob Cole have been revealed as the Rogers play-by-play team for the 2014-15 NHL season.

Rogers made the announcement Tuesday as it unveiled its fall schedule.

Gemini Award winner Hughson will be the lead commentator when the puck drops Oct. 8.

Randorf has been the full-time regional voice of the Montreal Canadiens for the last four seasons

Romanuk is also a former voice of the Habs and has called several world junior championships.

Cole is known to fans for his longtime presence on "Hockey Night in Canada." In November, Rogers secured a blockbuster $5.2 billion deal for NHL rights.

http://home.mytelus.com/p/news/source/news_cp/category/sports/article/28610362

TSN should make more of an effort to start broadcasting the CHL. There is already a huge demand for information about prospects so I think they could get enough viewership to make it work. Also, it would put more hockey on the tube, which would hopefully keep Rogers from maintaining a high quality broadcast.

Rogers already has the rights to that (Subway super series, CHL top prospects, Friday night hockey, Memorial Cup). But if Rogers has the NHL locked up they might not have room and sell the rights.

No it drastically improved. It became a sports news/highlight show rather than a failed just for laughs routine.

Sportscentre is now poo. The kind of poo you can't get out of your butt no matter how much you wipe.

I wish Jay and Dan were back.

Cole, Romanuk, Hughson, Randorf to do play-by-play for Rogers hockey

Tuesday, June 3rd 2014, 4:36 am

the canadian press

TORONTO - Jim Hughson, Dave Randorf, Paul Romanuk and Bob Cole have been revealed as the Rogers play-by-play team for the 2014-15 NHL season.

Rogers made the announcement Tuesday as it unveiled its fall schedule.

Gemini Award winner Hughson will be the lead commentator when the puck drops Oct. 8.

Randorf has been the full-time regional voice of the Montreal Canadiens for the last four seasons

Romanuk is also a former voice of the Habs and has called several world junior championships.

Cole is known to fans for his longtime presence on "Hockey Night in Canada." In November, Rogers secured a blockbuster $5.2 billion deal for NHL rights.

http://home.mytelus.com/p/news/source/news_cp/category/sports/article/28610362

Thanks Heretic, I've been wondering who from CBC would come over to do pbp for Sportsnet national games. Romaniuk coming back from Europe is interesting. Wasn't sure Cole would be retained, and Randorf is a bit surprising, I've come to associate him mainly with the CFL TSN broadcasts.

So Canadian taxpayers have to pay to keep CBC hockey propped up?

Yup. And most of the money goes to keeping Bob Cole (amazingly) alive and able to move about.

But at least Ron and Don will be nixed. Or so I hope.

Best of all, goodbye TSN NHL coverage. Your extreme anti-Canuck bias in your misreporting won't be missed. That includes you too, Duthie.

Yup. And most of the money goes to keeping Bob Cole (amazingly) alive and able to move about.

Best of all, goodbye TSN NHL coverage. Your extreme anti-Canuck bias in your misreporting won't be missed. That includes you too, Duthie.

I think Ron and Don are sticking around, albeit in a slightly reduced capacity.

So Canadian taxpayers have to pay to keep CBC hockey propped up?

I do not believe this to be correct. CBC will no longer make money on HNIC. They are allowed to promote their their own programs. Rogers is now the producer and as such pays for everything,even though Saturdays will still be on CBC.

This is old news, btw.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/54507-CBC-loses-control-of-Hockey-Night-in-Canada-to-Rogers-in-blockbuster-deal.html

I think Ron and Don are sticking around, albeit in a slightly reduced capacity.

do you people not listen to reports??? ron and don are still doing coaches corner on saturdays and ron will host the new sunday night hockey... broadcasted from a different small town in canada every sunday.

do you people not listen to reports??? ron and don are still doing coaches corner on saturdays and ron will host the new sunday night hockey... broadcasted from a different small town in canada every sunday.

Agreed. I am constantly amazed by how little people pay attention, then go off half-cocked on message boards spouting things nowehere near the easily seachable truth.

Archived