The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Too Early to call Kassian a dissapointment?

Go Go Canucks Go

I prefer a goal scorer,not any particular player.

Kassian sat in the press box in his first playoffs here.

He logged fourth line minutes in his second playoffs here.

Bickell and Kassian - I understand the desire to have a big body that can score.

Bickell has been a consistent regular season and especially playoff performer,net presence and goal scorer.

Nine goals and eighteen assists in last years playoffs.

24 points in 38 playoff games.

I seem to recall CH playing on the 4th line during the playoffs as well. Oh yeah, in 12 games he got 1 assist :shock:

Comparing Bickell at 27 to Kassian at 22 is ridiculous. Look at Bick's stats after being drafted in 2004. Not very impressive, in fact, he didn't really make the team until 2010/11 season. That year he got 37pts; the following year 24. Two goals in each of the playoffs for those years. He didn't really break out as a solid player until last year. Already Zack looks to double his stats from last year and will more than likely outpace Bickell's stats for his 2nd year in the NHL of: 71/9/15(24). And Zack doesn't get to have Toews and Kane as linemates.

In all fairness, that gives Kass 4 years of development before he is comparable to Bickell.

Patience, people.

I seem to recall CH playing on the 4th line during the playoffs as well. Oh yeah, in 12 games he got 1 assist :shock:

In all fairness, that gives Kass 4 years of development before he is comparable to Bickell.

Gillis could have traded his top prospect for a d man or a roster player in a package trade instead of waiting six or seven years to see if Kassian can become successful as 'Bickell' has.It seemed like quite a gamble that is not yet paying a steady dividend.

At least CH played.Kass sat on the bench every game in his first playoffs here and did fourth line minutes in his second -with zero points in the first round.

Gillis could have traded his top prospect for a d man or a roster player in a package trade instead of waiting six or seven years to see if Kassian can become successful as 'Bickell' has.It seemed like quite a gamble that is not yet paying a steady dividend.

At least CH played.Kass sat on the bench every game in his first playoffs here and did fourth line minutes in his second -with zero points in the first round.

Yer really pulling straws here, nuck nit. Kass could very well be better than Bickell this year or next. Who knows? Let's wait and see!

Kass has 8 playoffs games; all with the Nucks. As I recall, the team has only played 9 SC games since he got here, so I guess he only sat out one. Unfortunately for Cody, the Nucks had a huge run of 25 games in his first playoffs, but he only got to play in 12 and SAT for the other 13. Oh, and he mostly played on the 4th line.

We are all Canucks...right? :towel:

Kassian will be as good as or surpass 'Bickell' by next year at the latest.

Bickell was drafted in 2004 and it took him 5 years to even play in the playoffs. Kassian was drafted in 2009 and played in the playoffs in 2 years of being drafted.

So if you're going to say that Bickell was better in those playoffs then keep in mind Bickell was 3 or 4 years older than Kassian. Therefore, the real comparison based on age will be the playoffs coming up for Kassian. Not the playoffs in the past.

I felt he has played enough games with us that we can finally start to criticize him and his development since joining this team.

I think there is something really off about his hockey sense. When he plays he just doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to reading or making the right plays. He just extremely inconsistent too in both his effort and ability.

For someone that is suppose to be a good power foward he seems to have lost an edge in terms of his puck protection and board battles. I don't know if it's a result of him getting really lean but the same thing happened to Bernier. I don't understand the Canucks trainers wanting him to lose his weight because he's obviously not as strong on the puck as when he was first traded here.

Did the Canucks make the mistake in trading for Kassian? i understand that Hodgson didn't want to play here but maybe we could have targetted someone else. Ive just been extremely unimpressed by his play as a Canuck. Seems like AV wasn't really the problem either because the new coaching staff are basically treating him the same way. He just hasnt earned an opportunity and its disapointing. It has nothing to do with his character either, hes a good person.

Thoughts?

He is a player unsure of what his strengths actually are once that is determined a role for him can be developed, going to take some time to work the consistency into his game.

A simplified game would do wonders for him.

It's a disappointing trade whether Kassian lives up to his potential or not. By the time he comes into his own (if he comes into this own) the core of this team will be irrelevant. Hodgson gave us a great third line option now. An immediate impact player is the least Gillis could have done. Whether he turned out to match Hodgson or not.

My take on that trade was Gillis the player agent hated Winter the player agent and the Canucks future took a back seat to Gillis the agent.

NHL scout: “It’s a terrible trade for Vancouver. Hodgson had done a good job for them this year. He was starting to show he had top-six upside…that he could step up if [Henrik] Sedin or [Ryan] Kesler went down. They didn’t have a player like him who could give them some offence outside of the top six. And centre is the most valuable position — you can’t trade a centre for a depth player with size, certainly not one who’s not a finished product.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/26/nhl-scout-calls-hodgson-kassian-deal-a-terrible-trade-for-vancouver/

When we consider Kassian did not impress when he came to Vancouver and did not play in the playoffs at all his first year here with fourth line minutes in his second year here it is fair to say Gillis sacrificed the existing success and immediate potential of his team's ability to win for a player that was a gamble and has years to go in his development.

“There aren’t many of them (power forwards) around in the league. He still has a ways to go to develop I think into his full potential, but he is an NHL player now who is going to help us in a lot of different ways.” Trade day-Gillis on Kassian.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/02/27/vancouver-canucks-sacrifice-cody-hodgson-for-more-grit/

It's a disappointing trade whether Kassian lives up to his potential or not. By the time he comes into his own (if he comes into this own) the core of this team will be irrelevant. Hodgson gave us a great third line option now. An immediate impact player is the least Gillis could have done. Whether he turned out to match Hodgson or not.

Santorelli replaces Hodgson. Kassian will develop and be a good player. We traded for Phalsson that year whom would have been a better option than Hodgson. Hodgson cant play defense.

I think you're spot on with the agent, Winter, I'm not sure many in the business that are tight with Winter. Bit of an ass from all the reports I've read. But the reason for the change to Winter was the parents expected more for their son and felt the previous agent ( Don Meehan ? ) wasn't pushing hard enough.

Gillis recognized only to well his team was not well matched against big physical teams, Kassian was not the only move to correct that situation. Think of Lain, Labate, Archibald, Gaunce, Cedarholme, Mallet, McEneny, Stanton and now Fox, but I'd have to say the crown jewel of that bunch is Kassian. I think Kassian may be responding to Tortorella....and I'm betting that was a big part of the selection hiring interview with Tortorella

Santorelli replaces Hodgson. Kassian will develop and be a good player. We traded for Phalsson that year whom would have been a better option than Hodgson. Hodgson cant play defense.

Pahlsson was one of the best defensive centers in the NHL.Was.Everybody hopes Kassian can develop into a top six player one day but a top six scoring center was traded for a project.Hodgson has limited defensive gifts but a lot more offensive than Pahlsson ,who immediately retired after contributing one playoff goal for the Canucks.Two fourth - rounders and a gaping hole at center persisted after Samuel's illustrious Canucks career.Santorelli ,although a decent center,did not arrive here until two floundering years had passed.Even a Hodgson - Santorelli trade would have been seen to be madness two years ago.I would take this Santorelli in a trade for this Kassian any day.So,player for nothing for Hodgson,Pahlsson,two-fourth rounders,Sulzer and Gragnani which turned into the loss of a second rounder and Roy.

In my opinion Santorelli is BETTER than Hodgson. He has everything Cody has plus top line speed.

Its true he is 28 and hodgson only pushing 24, but I take that trade off any day. Especially for Santis salary.

I think you're spot on with the agent, Winter, I'm not sure many in the business that are tight with Winter. Bit of an ass from all the reports I've read. But the reason for the change to Winter was the parents expected more for their son and felt the previous agent ( Don Meehan ? ) wasn't pushing hard enough.

Fred,Gillis had a team that came within a couple of periods of winning a cup and lost due to injuries. That was not all about being beaten physically.

Bieksa gets two handed.

Raymond gets can opened.

Kesler gets ground down due to previous injuries/playing style.

Edler gets slashed and has his fingers broken.

Hamhuis tears apart his hip with a legal check.

I think Gillis over reacted and immediately went for braun over skill,whereas skill is what brought him to the dance.The league is responsible for making proper calls and they were not made.

No call when Bieksa was two -handed,Raymond had his back broken,Edler suffered multiple fingers broken by a vicious slash.Marchand speed bags Dan,Hank has problems with his back he is cross checked so often and yet one tenth of a second late and Rome is administered the longest suspension in NHL playoffs history.

The twins are his bread and butter and he has yet to provide them with protection in his near six years on the job.

Gillis lost his patience with the NHL refereeing,which I do not blame him.

Unfortunately,he put his team in the hole by trading a highly marketable asset for a project that did not help in the last two years of playoffs and is only a marginal minutes player now.

Not sure how that helps the twins come playoff time.

Fred,Gillis had a team that came within a couple of periods of winning a cup and lost due to injuries that was not all about being beaten physically.

Bieksa gets two handed.

Raymond gets can opened.

Kesler gets ground down due to previous injuries/playing style.

Edler gets slashed and has his fingers broken.

Hamhuis tears apart his hip with a legal check.

I think Gillis over reacted and immediately went for braun over skill,whereas skill is what brought him to the dance.

The twins are his bread and butter and he has yet to provide them with protection in his near six years on the job.

Why do you continue to sell the lie that Hodgson could honestly compete in a top 6 role for us. Especially in a playoff situation.

He couldnt, still cant, and may never be able to produce in that environment. So Gillis trading Hodgson cost us utterly NOTHING in the slightest. Zero. Zip. Ziltch.

There is no way Cody Hodgson is the difference in beating the Kings. Its ludicous to even suggest it.

Certainly no way Hodgson is even fast enough to compete with the Sharks but even if he was the refs took care of that anyways.

When are you guys going to realize this mythical Cody Hodgson superstar you keep moaning about NEVER existed at the NHL level and in my honest opinion, never will.

A lot of Santorelli talk, Cody talk, Sestito talk, everything but Kassian for the last while in this 'Kassian' thread.

I'll break the trend. Zack's line was 0's across the board yesterday in 13:29 TOI. Oh, except for 1 hit, my bad. Cant say he's very noticable tonight either. But its still early.

Through 2 periods he is at 9mins ice time he is a +1 with 2 shots and set up some good scoring opportunities. The game is on sportsnet right now you still might catch the 3rd period if you hurry.

Archived