The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shawn Thornton Slew Foots Orpik, Proceeds to Punch Him While He's Down UPDATE : 15 GAME SUSPENSION

If that coward Orpik had answered the bell none of this would have happened. To all you Bruins bashers the Pens are as dirty as they come. Have you all forgotten that Matt Cooke used to play for them. Cry baby Crosby seems to have forgotten this too. Neals knee to Marchands head was a dirty dirty play.

Your poor username speaks volumes in your poorly worded pro-Bruins drivel.

Your poor username speaks volumes in your poorly worded pro-Bruins drivel.

Yeah, not sure how anyone could respect a guy who headshots a goalie and then autographs a picture of him delivering the cheapshot. If anyone deserves what Thornton did, it's Marchand, Lucic, and Chara.

Neal kneed Marchand in the head before. Thornton snapped and hit Orpik while he was down...absolutely idiotic.

Orpik also concussed Eriksson maybe 10 secs in the game

So Thornton went after Orpik to get back at him for what happened to Eriksson?

The Neal, Marchand thing was totally different?

If that coward Orpik had answered the bell none of this would have happened. To all you Bruins bashers the Pens are as dirty as they come. Have you all forgotten that Matt Cooke used to play for them. Cry baby Crosby seems to have forgotten this too. Neals knee to Marchands head was a dirty dirty play.

Orpik doesn't have to feel obliged to fight some goon who can't play the game just because he delivered a clean hit on one of their players. Thornton should have gone and hit a Pens player with a similar clean hit in retaliation (that is if he could skate fast enough to catch anyone)... or one of the actual hockey players on the ice at the time should have tried to go after Orpik.

Coming up behind and sucker punching a defenceless guy on the ground.... and then suggesting that is just defending yourself is something only the Bruins could rationalize.

Thornton should be put in an electric chair and flip the switch on.

Ya I liked him crying after the game. It was great comedic timing. Reminded me of bertuzzi when he did it to moore.

Expect a lawsuit.

Wow history does repeat itself don't it? There's an assault every ten years or so. This shouldn't affect anything. Business as usual.

The greasiest play since Bertuzzi.

I'm sure Thornton is genuinely sorry about this because he's always seemed like a nice guy, but nice guys don't do this and this deserves a banhammer. Long suspension to expulsion and charges are fine in my book. This is a high grade of assault, the fact it happened in an ice rink with 18,000+ fans doesn't clear this act.

Neal needs a hefty suspension...that knee was not only very dangerous and dirty, but it precipitated the scrum that lead to this incident. No excuse for that hit.

Bad day for hockey.

to quote your moronic fanbase, Marchand "had it coming" for all the dirty crap he's dished out over the years.

Orpik doesn't have to feel obliged to fight some goon who can't play the game just because he delivered a clean hit on one of their players. Thornton should have gone and hit a Pens player with a similar clean hit in retaliation (that is if he could skate fast enough to catch anyone)... or one of the actual hockey players on the ice at the time should have tried to go after Orpik.

Coming up behind and sucker punching a defenceless guy on the ground.... and then suggesting that is just defending yourself is something only the Bruins could rationalize.

Did anyone honestly expect anything else from that bunch??? Guess Edler gets another 5 games...

Why exactly should Orpik have answered the bell for a clean hit? If Thornton wasn't a gutless, classless, piece of **** 4th line plug none of this would have happened. Rat boy had it coming too, I wish Neal kneed him harder so he'd be injured for at least a season.

At first it only looked like a typical dirty, classless, garbage play by Boston, but I was surprised when he was laid out and stretcher came out. I hope he is alright and Thornton gets a 10 game suspension.

Guuuiiise, they're a clean team. They don't go after anybody remember? Shawn Thornton was just protecting himself

At least that's what the coach says. I mean, who am I to not believe Bill from King of the Hill.

:rolleyes:

LOL

Edit: Thornton seems legitimately upset and apologetic about his actions and their outcome. That doesn't change the fact that he needs to be punished severely, but at least he isn't a psychopath.

Archived