The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shinkaruk's Progress for WJC

Herberts Vasiljevs

With Drouin healthier now, Rychel's play thus far in camp and Mantha being a proven scorer as well, there may not be many spots in the lineup for scoring wingers.

It's been an unfortunate go for Shinkaruk ever since he left Main Canucks Camp battling two different injuries and it has effected his play in the dub.

What I don't know about is the state that he is in as of now?

This is one hell of a competitive kid who wants to make this team and I am rooting very hard for him. Does anybody know where he stands at this point? We know exactly what he's capable of, but a healthy Shinkaruk will be the only Shinkaruk that has a chance of cracking a spot in the lineup.

I'm hoping this deserves a thread. There is a lot of WJC talk on this board but this is a topic that deserves very close and specific watch. We all want Hunter to make this team, so if anybody knows anything recent about his progress or has any news on him this would be a very useful thread to keep. I think it's 100% certain that Horvat is a lock.

Thanks in advance!

I know this is not a Guance thread. But how big of a damnation on Guance is it for him to not even get an invite to camp and getting ripped by Sutter earlier basically saying he was an overrated player.

For me one of two things can happen. Either Guance uses that as motivation to prove he is a legit 1st rounder and improves his skating and comes into camp next year with a chip on his shoulder to outshine Horvat and Shinkaruk and try to make the Canucks.

Or Guance could lose his confidence and get buried in the minors while Horvat makes the Canucks next year and falls down the prospect totem pole behind even Jensen.

I know this is not a Guance thread. But how big of a damnation on Guance is it for him to not even get an invite to camp and getting ripped by Sutter earlier basically saying he was an overrated player.

For me one of two things can happen. Either Guance uses that as motivation to prove he is a legit 1st rounder and improves his skating and comes into camp next year with a chip on his shoulder to outshine Horvat and Shinkaruk and try to make the Canucks.

Or Guance could lose his confidence and get buried in the minors while Horvat makes the Canucks next year and falls down the prospect totem pole behind even Jensen.

Gaunce^

Gaunce is a great player, and management knows this. He just needs to get more physical and throw the body around. The guy has one of the highest hockey IQ's. He's always in the right place at the right time, and we saw that in the preseason. He won't ever be the player who shocks you like Kane, or destroys someone with a hit.

Gaunce will be a top nine player - a 2LW or 3C/LW.

I'm convinced that if we had thrown him in the lineup last season, he would have been able to survive in the NHL - purely based on his IQ. I doubt he would have put up 20+ points, but he only needs to add a bit more energy into his shift and he can be a 40+ point guy. We're getting a surefire player here - it's not a bust/boom scenario here.

With Drouin healthier now, Rychel's play thus far in camp and Mantha being a proven scorer as well, there may not be many spots in the lineup for scoring wingers.

It's been an unfortunate go for Shinkaruk ever since he left Main Canucks Camp battling two different injuries and it has effected his play in the dub.

What I don't know about is the state that he is in as of now?

This is one hell of a competitive kid who wants to make this team and I am rooting very hard for him. Does anybody know where he stands at this point? We know exactly what he's capable of, but a healthy Shinkaruk will be the only Shinkaruk that has a chance of cracking a spot in the lineup.

I'm hoping this deserves a thread. There is a lot of WJC talk on this board but this is a topic that deserves very close and specific watch. We all want Hunter to make this team, so if anybody knows anything recent about his progress or has any news on him this would be a very useful thread to keep. I think it's 100% certain that Horvat is a lock.

Thanks in advance!

Were are you actually watching this so called "progress?"

Shink is a beauty. Won't get cut IMHO. Guy is clutch, always has been. Medal winning goal last year, super series winning goal this year. Those are the types of guys you want on your team. Guys who can increase their level of play when the pressures on. Sutter knows his game from the W and it would be hard for him to leave a guy off who scores great goals.

Girard seems Logical to get cut, and one of the guys who isn't great at D/compete level. I feel like it will be Mantha, kinda perimeter player.

"I know all these guys can score goals," said Sutter. "So it's getting them to become a team first and foremost. Getting them to understand roles they'll have to play on this team and making sure everything is within the confines of how we want to play, our identity as a hockey team," said Sutter.

Not exactly "Canucks Talk" but aside from that I don't see the big issue here. If he's the best option he'll be in. If he's not he'll be out. I'd rather the best options be on the team regardless of whose prospects they are. It's about Canada after all, not the Canucks.

Archived