The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT]1 second

Blueberries

An OT loss to the top team in the NHL after playing LA less than 24 hours ago, plus all the injuries we have, and there's so many comments about blowing up the team? Way to overreact.

They have it in them to play better, and they will. We're still in a playoff spot, which is all we need.

I want this team to show some collective cojones but there seems to be very little in the way of a cohesive identity.

I hate to say it but it starts with the captain. Henrik Sedin should be given this season to prove that he still deserves the captaincy.

If the Canucks go down in the first round, considerations must be made to hand it over to Kesler. To me, he makes sense as captain. He is willing to do whatever it takes to win. Something Henrik cannot lay claim to.

Taking the 'C' from the franchises best player is a distraction we don't need. A player doesn't need a letter on their jersey for them to be able to lead.

I agree they need more team toughness, but that's up to Torts to get the players to do.

I want this team to show some collective cojones but there seems to be very little in the way of a cohesive identity.

I hate to say it but it starts with the captain. Henrik Sedin should be given this season to prove that he still deserves the captaincy.

If the Canucks go down in the first round, considerations must be made to hand it over to Kesler. To me, he makes sense as captain. He is willing to do whatever it takes to win. Something Henrik cannot lay claim to.

True for any team really.

Even though I hate the guy, how can you not admire what Dustin Brown did to us the night before. He decided to take matters into his own hands after the Canucks dominated the first period and essentially put his team on his back and did what he had to do to help his team win. That's what a captain does.

While everybody is jumping off the bandwagon,....It should be noted that the Kings lost 5 games in a row before they beat us..Yes,even elite teams suck once in a while...I think that we could've won both Anaheim games this season,before we shot ourselves in the foot in the last minute..I am at a loss how the Canucks can come out flying in the first then be utterly dominated in the 2nd..The Ducks and Kings are probably only 5-10 % better than us right now...were not that far off.....but that's the difference between winning and losing by a goal.

They quite literally let us dominate for a full period. As soon as the second period started they showed why they were elite. We couldn't handle Penner or Perry. We got flat out dominated for the two thirds of the game and they scored at will. If not for Lack this could have been a LOT worse. The only thing indicating they scraped by is the score.

I agree with everything else you said, but they didn't score at will, not even close. They almost lost cause our goalie was amazing.

An OT loss to the top team in the NHL after playing LA less than 24 hours ago, plus all the injuries we have, and there's so many comments about blowing up the team? Way to overreact.

They have it in them to play better, and they will. We're still in a playoff spot, which is all we need.

not necessarily. Some fans only care about wins and losses. Many care more about how the team plays regardless of wins or losses. Don't be so quick to dismiss legitimate observations as upset fans. For two years there have been lots of comments during the season like yours "they're saving themselves" " nothing to worry about, they'll play better when they have to". How did that turn out?

The team is what it is and is playing to the level it is currently capable of for whatever reason. It is as good as it plays.

Did you watch the game? They were outshot 44-8 after the first period. That's embarassing.

We're still in a playoff spot, which is all we need.

Was it all they needed last year when they went out in the minimum number of games?

had the nux managed to hang on to close out the 3rd period with the win....conversation around here would be much different.

it would be less depressing, but rational people here still would have said it was a game the team had no business being in after the first period. that was a pretty horrible collapse

Same thing happened in that 1st Kings game. Came out hard, tons of chances, couldn't bury em and eventually got overwhelmed. Had a couple of those gone in, we likely have a different outcome.

These empty net and tap in chances need to start being converted. Whatever it takes to do it. Should have been 4-0 by the 2nd, then our crap play wouldn't have mattered.

the team is decimated by injuries, nobody can win with this many injuries to so many all stars. Sure Pittsburgh lost Orpik, Martin, Letang, Dupuis, Neal and Malkin for a stretch but overall that doesn't truly compare to what we lost.

My point is that people are going to bitch and moan about this loss, and they need to remember that it wasn't the A team that played.

had the nux managed to hang on to close out the 3rd period with the win....conversation around here would be much different.

Yeah, how many times have we heard that this year. They choke vs top tier teams when they're holding onto 1 goal leads in the third. How many times has an opponent tied the game in the last minute or late in the 3rd, it's a mystery to me why that happens as often as it does with this team.

not necessarily. Some fans only care about wins and losses. Many care more about how the team plays regardless of wins or losses. Don't be so quick to dismiss legitimate observations as upset fans. For two years there have been lots of comments during the season like yours "they're saving themselves" " nothing to worry about, they'll play better when they have to". How did that turn out?

The team is what it is and is playing to the level it is currently capable of for whatever reason. It is as good as it plays.

I'm not saying they're saving themselves or anything like that, but every team goes through slumps. Yes we have a lot of things to work on, but I'm not going to say we have no chance and that the team is done, like some people are saying.

I'm not saying they're saving themselves or anything like that, but every team goes through slumps. Yes we have a lot of things to work on, but I'm not going to say we have no chance and that the team is done, like some people are saying.

Agreed every season has its ups and downs. I can't tell what the future will hold but I just don't see this team having the horses to compete in a 7 game series against any of the top western teams. They aren't big enough, mean enough or tough enough to stand up to LA or ST Louis.They don't have the talent to compete with Chicago and are too slow to skate with SJS. They may improve their team play and be able to win some games against these teams but without different pieces, I am not optimistic they will go past the first round IF they even make the playoffs.

edler - top 2 dman

stanton - top 6 d man

burrows, higgins - top 2 forwards

Kassian - bottom 6/tweener forward

Luongo - #1 goaltender ( I know eddie played great)

but take 5 significant regulars out of a lineup and put them in back to back games against two of the top teams in the league - bad things are going to happen.

we don't need a trade, or to blow up the team, we need to get healthy

I said this many, MANY times.

We were still losing when we had all those players in the lineup.

Did you watch the game? They were outshot 44-8 after the first period. That's embarassing.

Yea we got outshot by a large margin, but we stayed in the game. We still could've won the game, and we're capable of a stronger finish, I'm sure we'll fix that by season's end.

Was it all they needed last year when they went out in the minimum number of games?

Doesn't matter how many games we went out in, we weren't winning that series.

I am reading a lot of cliches and they are true. Teams have ups and downs. Teams have injuries.

However, I am not looking at some short term. I look at the talent level, and see if we are performing or not. In my opinion the team played as well as it could the last 2 days.

Our special teams were great. Our goaltending was superb.

Its the lack of talent that shows up 5 on 5. We cannot compete with the Kings and Ducks. Even with spectacular goaltending. I would consider Gillis lack of improving the team far more concerning than the wins and losses right now.

Agreed every season has its ups and downs. I can't tell what the future will hold but I just don't see this team having the horses to compete in a 7 game series against any of the top western teams. They aren't big enough, mean enough or tough enough to stand up to LA or ST Louis.They don't have the talent to compete with Chicago and are too slow to skate with SJS. They may improve their team play and be able to win some games against these teams but without different pieces, I am not optimistic they will go past the first round IF they even make the playoffs.

Aside from maybe LA, I think we'd be able to compete with any of the west teams (Even if it as the underdog). Something the last few cup champs have had in common is that they got some lucky bounces and were able to stay healthy. If we can stay healthy and get some bounces, we have a decent chance.

I think it's highly unlikely we miss the playoffs. I doubt Phoenix, Minnesota, and Dallas all finish ahead of us.

Archived