The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HBO's "True Detective"

GLASSJAW

Meanwhile.....in California.....

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-tom-selleck-water-complaint-20150707-story.html

Tom Selleck drought shamed, accused of stealing truckloads of hydrant water

By MATT HAMILTON JULY 8, 2015, 7:58 AM

A ctor Tom Selleck had truckloads of water from a public hydrant delivered to his sprawling Hidden Valley ranch, according to court documents filed against the veteran actor by a Ventura County water district.

The Calleguas Municipal Water District said in a complaint filed Monday in Ventura County Superior Court that on more than a dozen occasions since 2013, a white truck filled up at a Thousand Oaks hydrant and hauled the water to Selleck’s 60-acre ranch in Westlake Village.

To document the alleged theft, the water district spent nearly $22,000 to hire a private investigator, according to the complaint.

Calleguas says the "Magnum, P.I." and "Blue Bloods" star and his wife, Jillie, who is also named in the complaint, are barred from using water from the hydrant because their property is located in a different water district, Hidden Valley Municipal Water District.

Selleck and his wife have lived for nearly three decades at the ranch, which also includes an avocado farm. The complaint comes as California's historic drought drags on and residents are tasked with slashing water use by 25%.

Before filing the complaint, the water district tried to get Selleck to halt the unlawful water deliveries. In November 2013, Calleguas sent cease-and-desist letters to both Selleck’s home and an Avenue of the Stars address that’s linked to the property, according to court papers.

As recently as March 2015, the water truck was spotted filling up at the same hydrant and delivering water to Selleck’s estate on four separate days, according to the complaint.

In addition to legal fees and investigative costs, the water district is seeking a preliminary and permanent injunction barring Selleck and his contractors or employees from taking water from the Calleguas district.

A representative for Selleck could not be reached for comment.
Water supply was an issue in the upscale area during the
last major drought in 1991.

Early working theory after episode 4:

Caspere realized that some of the lands along the rail corridor are highly contaminated, he wanted to blow the lit off the deal but somebody stopped him. Vinci mayor Chaussani (sp) seems to be the #1 suspect right now, and I'm sure the city police is in on this. Vinci police keeps wanting Velcoro to get Bezerides to go with the pimp / hooker direction. All those sex parties is probably just a smoke screen. The pawn shop / Mexican angle is most likely just another smoke screened designed by the real culprit from the get go. Of course it sounds too simple and I can be totally wrong. This is getting slightly interesting.

Notice the freeze frame on the last frame of this episode. They did the same thing last season with Reggie Ledoux at the end of episode 3.

Also, the opening credit sequence music is slightly different again.

I'm the same. Whenever Vince Vaughn appears on screen, it's like a giant charisma vacuum. Watching him going around and begging for money is not my idea of entertainment. I'm not a particular fan of Taylor Kitsch's character either though. He's just kind of there.

I think there far too slow on supplying clues or getting into the mystery surrounding the northern lands, and the tidbits given so far are sounding very straight forward

I guess it's just the setting and all, but last season's backwoods redneck crap was a lot more chilling. This one seems to be all over the map and the doubling of main characters only adds to the lack of cohesion. Still, decent, esp. after the action in the last episode, but I think my patience with it overall is all due to season one. Without season one's success to bank on, this show would fail hard by now imho.

If there is one thing good about this season it's a lot more realistic. Less entertaining sure but I'm beginning to empathize with all the characters, especially Bezzerides.

The shootout was exciting but that's not what I mean by "fast pace". Narratively speaking it didn't do much (It was a bad assault and Bezzerides is gonna get blamed for it). From the trailer for episode 5 I do believe things are going to pick up as the main characters are gonna go rogue on this case, I'm speculating.

It was interesting when they were dealing with the aftermath from the shootout instead of most shows or movies when it's just another day at the office when everyone gets slaughtered.

You don't see that sort of thing too much in most shows...

Dead cops, dead civilians and the guys they needed information from, dead as well. They know it's gonna hit the fan and they know who's going to get the blame for it all.

As you say, it was interesting and I'd say, pretty accurate.

Dead cops, dead civilians and the guys they needed information from, dead as well. They know it's gonna hit the fan and they know who's going to get the blame for it all.

Yeah I like the show quite a lot. It's just getting some hate cause it's not the masterstroke that season 1 was.

Yeah I like the show quite a lot. It's just getting some hate cause it's not the masterstroke that season 1 was.

To be fair, that was a tough act to follow. I think the best way to go is to watch it for what it is and don't bother comparing it to season 1.

It actually took a bit for me to get into the first season too. The way it was told through flashbacks and context. (It took a while to figure out that the two black cops were trying to incriminate Chole) It took several weeks to tie it all together.

I'm hoping that we see something similar happen this season. Either way, I'm looking forward to the fallout from the shootout with the Mexicans on Sunday.

[trailer voice] On the next episode of True Detective......

PAPERWORK!!!!!!!!![/trailer voice]

Re: The episode itself, the show has gotten really interesting, really quickly.

Yeah, I'm hooked. The scene where Bezzerides "shares" during the sexual harassment meeting had me laughing out loud... :lol:

I do have one complaint though: Two episodes in a row now have ended with a bang, yet the subsequent episode ties them up with a whimper. We thought Ray had been killed off, only to find that some guy shot him with buckshot for some reason...

Then a bunch of cops and civilians are killed in a shootout with Mexican drug runners and we tune in to find out it's months later, everyone has been demoted, or has quit and as Velcoro eloquently put it, "no one cares".

It might be realistic, but it seems a bit weak to me.

Archived