The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ANA - 1/15/14 - 7:30PM

Strombone1

Yay, I am not even mad... Was expecting to lose (not this score though) but it just proves that we can not compete vs Californian teams and most cup contende teams...

It is what it is and it hurts but it's the truth... I was looking at leaders and we don't have a single player leading in points of any kind... I say we give more NTC's out..

I wish that you're right, and that we make a trade and it triggers a bunch of miraculous offence, but I ain't holding my breath!

I would rather be a seller or inactive at the trade deadline.

I'm planning for a life after the Sedins (yes I know they are 2 of the greatest canucks ever, but they're done), we need prospects!

I'm not expecting miracles, but it could do a lot for our offence. We've got a number of second/third line tweeners, but only one true second liner in Kesler. Burrows has benefited from playing with the twins. Kassian has been improving and pitching in more often, but I wouldn't call him a top six guy just yet. Balancing the scoring could be huge for us.

I agree with you on the deadline bit though. If the right deal for a top six guy can't be found I'd sit and wait til free agency. With the cap going up and a likely David Booth buyout we'll have some cap space to play with. We'd have to overpay, but it's an option.

I'm loathe to part with our prospects. But I'd part with our first and prospects not named Gaunce, Horvat, or Shinkaruk for a young top six guy.

I would not have given each more than 3 million. If they don't like it they can look for another team that will take both and retire there. They are not playoff performers and their season performance is decreasing. What would you do with that 14 million?

Well, in hindsight - because that's what we have now - I would have waited to sign them. Seems like they were hungrier. But under the circumstances of trying to keep them here, because there was pressure, loyalty, and some obligation that had to be dealt with ...I wouldn't have offered any more than $5 million per to free up another $4 mill for an acquisition to compensate for Booth, who we were still gambling on at that point.

But this is hindsight ... and it's trickier than that.

Archived