The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Lebrun] Canucks covet O'Reilly and will deal defense to aquire him

Southpop45

Edler for O'Reilly please. Heck, I'd do an Edler + Schroeder or a 2nd to seal it.

O'Reilly is exactly what we need, and if we can lock him up for a 6 x 6 type of deal then we'd be gold! So what if it's a steep qualifying offer or contract, we desperately need a top line talent and O'Reilly fits the bill exactly. He's skilled enough to create a formidable 2nd line and young enough to grow with Kassian, Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk et al.

Do it, MG!

And people, stop proposing we get Kane out of Winnipeg.... for lord sakes.

There's a reason why the Jets organization wants him gone: his attitude.

You don't simply put a guy who's lightning quick, big, and is a sniper on the trading block for no reason. They want him gone because he's a cancer. Why is this so hard for people to see?

Plays for the jets and lives in a garbage area. I think he would be stoked to play for vancity

Ohhhh yeah. Yeah.

A Tanev package for O'Reilly. Book it.

11 other teams will outbid GMMG though. Well, at least 3 of the 12 teams probably.

Not many other teams have the available depth at defense under such decent contracts to do it though

I want the perfect forward at the perfect age with the perfect contract and I don't want to give up anything.

or, alternately, i want the most overrated forward with an undeserved, high priced contract and i want to give up every single tradeable asset.

I dunno his cap hit is pretty big and will take $6.5mil to qualify him this summer. Is he really worth that?

It all depends on if we think we can sign him prior to needing to qualify him. If we can't, we either qualify him at ~$6.5M (which he of course accepts), or we don't and he becomes a UFA.

Personally, I don't see why he'd go somewhere else and take a deal with a cap hit less than what he has now. Even then he could well want more. Of course I've suggested Stastny, and there's no guarantee he takes a cut on his current deal to sign a more reasonable deal with us.

I know people like Pears are proposing Edler for O'Reilly, but I just don't see an RFA for a NTC deal happening..

Tanev for O'Reilly seems much more realistic.

edit: OBVIOUSLY ++ on our side in tanev deal

And people keep suggesting Tanev despite Colorado having Johnson, Barrie, Sarich and Guenin all as right handers already, plus Elliot down in the AHL. They've actually used a right hand shot on the left I think, since their top left side guys are Andre Benoit and Jan Hejda.

They've been winning with the defence they have, but if they move a top 6 forward to upgrade they want a left hander back.

To Van- Ryan O’Reilly

To Col- Alex Edler,Yannik Hansen,4th

Next year with O’Reilly signed to a 6 year 6 million dollar contract

Sign Ryan Callahan 4 years 5.8 million

Sign Matt Niskanen 4 years 3.9 million

*Buyout David Booth*

2014-2015 VANCOUVER CANUCKS

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Callahan(bring the word defense to this line)

Shinkaruk-O’Reilly-Burrows(Shink gets 2 defensive players to ease him in, while he can focus on offense)

Higgins-Horvat-Kesler(Shutdown line)

Sestito-Richardson-Kassain

Hamhuis-Niskanen

Garrison-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

Luongo

Lack

Thoughts?

Did you remember to activate Burrows off IR?

Burrows being on IR has nothing to do with the cap. Do you mean LTI? Even still we aren't over the cap with Burrows and Schroeder both eligible for LTI, so that shouldn't be an issue.

And people, stop proposing we get Kane out of Winnipeg.... for lord sakes.

There's a reason why the Jets organization wants him gone: his attitude.

You don't simply put a guy who's lightning quick, big, and is a sniper on the trading block for no reason. They want him gone because he's a cancer. Why is this so hard for people to see?

So why would the Avs put O'Reilly on the block? And who says Kane is actually on the block? There have been rumours, sure, but reports out of Winnipeg don't actually support that they're shopping him. Kane hasn't been worry free, but O'Reilly held out in his last contract negotiations after Duchene had signed a very reasonable bridge deal, so he's not without worry as well.

Kane has a very good relationship with Don Hay, and while he's had some issues it doesn't mean he isn't maturing. It seemed to have worked for Seguin and Dallas, and I'm certain Gillis would vet this kind of deal before making it.

He does? Proof?

He's mentioned in the past he loved his time in Vancouver (doesn't hurt he was born here) and would be happy to come back. Not that it matters, since Kane doesn't control where he goes if he does get traded - no NTC - so the Jets would trade him to whoever had the best offer.

I dunno his cap hit is pretty big and will take $6.5mil to qualify him this summer. Is he really worth that?

At an $80 million salary cap in two years he certainly is. If you can lock him up for 3-4 years at that price, he becomes a pretty good bargain quickly.

Top UFAs are going to be fetching $10 million plus the next couple summers. Prices for UFAs are going to be ridiculous this summer. All the cap teams will have a ton extra space, all the bottom feeder teams need to spend like drunken monkeys to get to the floor... and Florida is apparently moving from bottom dweller to cap ceiling team with the new owner.

That is all a recipe for a whole lot of dumb contracts. Gillis is way better served making some trades for players with term left and stay out of that mess except for depth players.

It isn't out of the question that Luongo demands a trade at the end of the season and Florida is way more likely to oblige with another of his top dollar years off the books and a much bigger budget to play with. He has name recognition there to sell tickets and he suddenly makes them a team that can contend for the playoffs.

Better be some amazing pluses coming with Tanev. Have far more interest in Edler (with additional pieces) since he at least could be a long term partner for EJ. Tanev plays the wrong side and I just don't see top 2 upside in him. I doubt O'Reilly is traded. He's Roy's favourite player and has fit perfectly on Duchene's wing. In fact I doubt any major piece is moved unless the return clearly makes the team better. Don't want another free fall situation like after the EJ trade.

I don't see them doing it either, nor Tanev being the piece they'd want as I mentioned. I'm sure they'd much rather keep their youth and move Stastny to open up the top 2 center spots for Duchene and MacKinnon.

As you noted, O'Reilly's been playing wing (right wing?) so he's not a part of their bottleneck anyway.

If he's willing to sign a contract like either of those then he won't be going anywhere. The Avs won't trade him if he's willing to take any deal south of 6 unless it's clear overpayment and makes the team markedly better.

And if there's any team he sign for less with prior to the qualifying offer, it's Colorado. He's already said he'd like to stay there.

If Kesler is worth $5M then I think O'Reilly is no doubt worth $6.5. He's like Kes but with a load of skill.

That's a stretch. He's a young player who has room to improve on some already good points totals, but He still hasn't scored more than 20 goals, more than 60 points, and would take a pretty heft price to get when he's not guaranteed to sign for less than his qualifying offer. He has 16 hits this year, where Kesler has 74, so it isn't a slam dunk for me like it is for others.

Archived