The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

All these people talking about "we could've sent out a skilled line" are out to lunch. Sorry if this offends those with softy little hearts, but you don't send a nerd into a school yard full of bullies. Essentially that is when a coach is supposed to act to protect his guys. And yes for those of us who are loyal to the team, not wanting to see your players get manhandled is kind of important. Good for Torts...

And I actually enjoyed watching PJ going off... he looked like he was going to blow a fuse! too bad he didn't.

234x.png

If we do that:

1. You're making a hell of an assumption the refs will actually do their job and make those calls

2. Our PP has been dreadful, so this could backfire and give them all kinds of momentum from killing it off

3. One of our guys could be injured if he's turtling. Not enough officials on the ice to break up all the fights.

4. We justify the perception that we're a "soft" team.

I'm pretty damn happy Torts chose the option he did.

agree it was a tough spot to be in however as my post stated at some point the focus has to return to filling the net not the box.

Eventually people will stop paying 200 $ for bush hockey.

Aquilini knows you can pirate Slapshot for free.

I saw bm and sestito drop the mitts as to be expected....imo the rest were pretty slow to throw if the plan was to only attack....westy didnt even throw a punch at bieksa....there have been far more aggressive line brawls than this one before.

And yes im serious. You will never see BM punch a Sedin.

I agree completely........I believe the announcers said that Hartley has started that a few times in the ;last few games because they have been playing with energy and scoring some points. JT putting his goons out there was, in my opinion, the wrong move and sent the wrong message to Calgary. The Canucks won, but in no way did they play well and were outplayed for the better part of the game.

This team is in trouble, and have completely lost their focus, imo.

dunno if anybody posted this yet but Hartley claimed to put on his 4th line because they scored last game.

Boxscore of last game (Calgary lost 5-2 so these are the only Flames goals):

3RD PERIOD 00:40

CGY Mark Giordano (6) Wrist shot - ASST: Paul Byron (8), Lee Stempniak (9) gc_play_sm@2x.png?v=7.12

5 - 1 WPG 11:59

CGY Lance Bouma (3) Deflected shot - ASST: Dennis Wideman (13) gc_play_sm@2x.png?v=7.12

5 - 2 WPG

Do you see McGrattan, Westgarth, Butler, Jones, or Smid anywhere on that list?

Hartley's BS exposed right here!

I think it was the annuncers who claimed that wasn't it?

I agree completely........I believe the announcers said that Hartley has started that a few times in the ;last few games because they have been playing with energy and scoring some points. JT putting his goons out there was, in my opinion, the wrong move and sent the wrong message to Calgary. The Canucks won, but in no way did they play well and were outplayed for the better part of the game.

Weak

Anyone who thinks the team would have gotten the same PP time that LA, Anaheim and Phoenix did is out of their minds.

Anyone who thinks that us starting our 1st line against their 4th line of goons was not going to cause injury or issue knowing the twins were already banged up hasn't watched much hockey

And anyone who thinks that Torts going off is a bad thing obviously missed the 3 game road trip the team just took where they got their clocks cleaned in every aspect of the game. Torts showed more heart and fire in those 30 seconds than the team did in 180 minutes of hockey over 3 games.

no one on calagry was going to do somthing stupid like skate after the canucks and start swinging at them if they didnt want to fight....the whole protect his players thing is garbage.... look at what happend with bieksa and westgarth , westgarth didnt throw 1 punch because bieksa didnt drop his mitts... if we started a line of kesler higgins hansen... chances are they skate around those goons and score a goal to open the game and no one get kicked out.... its not like it was bad blood between the 2 team or anything... there is no way in todays game an entire line is going to mug the other team off the draw if they dont want to fight.... thats why i think torts is out to lunch if he thinks he was protecting his guys..... hes just as much at fault if not more for what happend to start the game because he had the chance to kill it by putting skilled players out or let it happen by matching up which he did and then to say his hands were tied in the matter is garbage...

Saddle up and go back to the ranch buddy. This is Canuck country.

dunno if anybody posted this yet but Hartley claimed to put on his 4th line because they scored last game.

Boxscore of last game (Calgary lost 5-2 so these are the only Flames goals):

3RD PERIOD 00:40

CGY Mark Giordano (6) Wrist shot - ASST: Paul Byron (8), Lee Stempniak (9)

5 - 1 WPG 11:59

CGY Lance Bouma (3) Deflected shot - ASST: Dennis Wideman (13)

5 - 2 WPG

Do you see McGrattan, Westgarth, Butler, Jones, or Smid anywhere on that list?

Hartley's BS exposed right here!

The last time any of them had a point was McGrattan, and it was a goal vs Carolina on Dec 12.

http://flames.nhl.co...14&view=gamelog

EDIT: I checked the D too, and nothing recent for them either. Butler at least had an assist slightly more recently, in a game on Dec 21 against Pittsburgh.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471761&season=20132014&view=gamelog

I haven't watched them to see if they're playing with energy, but they haven't put up any point in over a month. See above.

And it's not that McGrattan would actually punch the Sedins right away, but would they get grabbed by anyone else? If the faceoff happened more like normal, would they be guaranteed to not be the target of a hit like Nolan tried to throw last week?

I noted it in my post on the previous page, but Bob MacKenzie even noted 99% of coaches would respond with their own tough line. Bieksa didn't start throwing and actively tried to win the faceoff, but he stepped in so Lain as a rookie wasn't getting jumped in his first ever NHL shift. Sestito could certainly wait if he felt they weren't interested in fighting, but it was clear once Westgarth dropped his gloves directly off the faceoff that a fight was what Hartley wanted from them by putting them out there, knowing full well Torts might not put a skilled line out in response.

I think it was the annuncers who claimed that wasn't it?

Nope, Hartley said it post game.

The Sedins aren't scoring and are banged up. If you send another line out there and they get tuned up, then we're depleted further. There was no option there but to send out our 4th.

Hartley knew what he was doing. He has a history of doing it from his Colorado days. He's a goon coach.

Part of Torts' anger was he was forced into making a decision that he didn't really want to make. It was a classless move by an ignorant coach in Calgary.

I love all the pansies unable to handle the Canuck no longer taking anyone's crap.

+1, That includes some of our own "fans" apparently.

because we would all prefer to see Daniel get punched in the face by the Rat again right? because not answering physical play has worked out for us so well in the past.

I love all the pansies unable to handle the Canuck no longer taking anyone's crap.

the same pansies who rolled their eyes at the "moral victory" mantra after LA and were then proven right? Those pansies? So many people here are so desperate to cling onto anything good with this team right now its sad. Its like being in the US after 9-11. You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists. This team has got some serious serious issues and they are sinking fast, and I don't see whats so wrong with looking at the situation with an objective eye.

Seriously? Have you not been watching over the last few years what “Nobody would ever hurt the Sedin’s” Looks like? I can’t even believe you would say that. And for one who says its “all about the 2 pts” You sure have a lot to bitch about when we win. The fact is for whatever excuse they baited Torts into that mess he accepted the challenge move on

that is when a coach is supposed to act to protect his guys

Actually, in this day of the NHL they shouldn't even have to, but we're still here, at this starting point.

I hope the league takes a good long look at the tactic Hartley and the Lames used. There is no place for this any more, despite how entertaining it is. I'm talking by the NHL, "we are going to protect our players" imaginary agenda.

By the bar that's been set, a team that goes out there with NO intention of playing hockey post face off and every intention to attack like they're on the front lines needs to be reviewed in a serious light. WTH is that? Don't get me wrong, it's a great energy boost and, as fans, we love it but I'm talking with the pooh pooh the league puffs out there about no place for this with instigators, etc. Every single player on the Calgary ice was an instigator. A potential Bertuzzi.

I've almost given up on this....not my team, but in watching this as a valid sports competition. I'll simply view it like I would Jerry Springer or the WWE.

Give it a rest with the "there's no way that line would have done anything". So why were they out there then? What a ridiculous statement. They focused on Hank (who, ftr, was knocked out of the game) and Burr from the start. So they weren't going to?....they did.

Stawns....some of us are here to go down with or be saved on that sinking ship. But my question is why are you here? Abandon ship. That's what sensible people do if they feel that way. They don't stand on board and call out the others. Swim to shore and move on.

Your objective eye is subjective. Remember that.

Archived