The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT]Another Loss

Ryan kesler the beast

Tough loss once again. Very tough. Though it didn't feel as bad as I thought it would. It felt like; whatever, I'm used to this.

I remember feeling like that in the late 90's when everything was just loss after loss. Even with all the firepower we had and all the big names up front.

I would actually never have guessed we'd be this deep in it with a new coach. Even if I and many others knew it would take time to adjust for both players and coaches. On one hand I'm still kinda in shock that we're playing worse than we ever did under AV, but on the other hand, even without the injuries, our squad has guys that just don't fit together like they should. On paper they do, but have close to zero click or connection on the ice. The only ones that have that is the twins and Burrows (obviously haven't had that now). Where does Kesler fit? Who has he got? No one. Booth has no-one, Hansen alone, Higgins alone (even if he still gets the job done), Kassian?

We need to get combos that work. And it don't seem to be happening with these guys...

Suggested buying out Daniel yesterday, & took an internet-trashing for it! :^)

If he's injured, well ok.. but WHY go to Sochi then?

Sorry, but I wanted the twins to re-sign around 5 mill each..VERY concerned the next four seasons to have them locked in at 14 mill... GREAT gentlemen, & respect them lots, but for FOURTEEN mill-good Lord, they'd best get back to where they were(on-ice play).

exactly 5 mill would be perfect

so if I don't agree with your "everything is ok" mentality, I'm a troll?

Do you have a list of those people you can pass on to me? Because quite honestly, I haven't seen one person matching that description on these boards.

So what, you 2 read my response to someone else which doesn't mention you by name or anything and think, hey that's me, I must respond.... interesting.

So what, you 2 read my response to someone else which doesn't mention you by name or anything and think, hey that's me, I must respond.... interesting.

I was thinking something quite different.......I was under the impression this was a discussion board,for discussing things from a variety of viewpoints and opinions. Clearly you feel differently

Not at all. I'm asking a question based on the generalities of your post. Do you have an answer or are you just flapping your gums for exercise?

Lots of great dialogue and constructive interchange in this thread. None of it yours.

Nothing more annoying than posters who feel they have the right to decide who should post, what their posts should contain and what constitutes a real fan.

Tough loss once again. Very tough. Though it didn't feel as bad as I thought it would. It felt like; whatever, I'm used to this.

I remember feeling like that in the late 90's when everything was just loss after loss. Even with all the firepower we had and all the big names up front.

I would actually never have guessed we'd be this deep in it with a new coach. Even if I and many others knew it would take time to adjust for both players and coaches. On one hand I'm still kinda in shock that we're playing worse than we ever did under AV, but on the other hand, even without the injuries, our squad has guys that just don't fit together like they should. On paper they do, but have close to zero click or connection on the ice. The only ones that have that is the twins and Burrows (obviously haven't had that now). Where does Kesler fit? Who has he got? No one. Booth has no-one, Hansen alone, Higgins alone (even if he still gets the job done), Kassian?

We need to get combos that work. And it don't seem to be happening with these guys...

I agree........I'd like to see JT leave some guys together and to actually stick to his "accountability"schtik. While he was suspended, kass was the best player on the team, driving the play, setting up his linemates, being defensively responsible. Why has he been demoted when others retain their cushy icetime? JT is showing he's more talk than action in that regard

I think people are over reacting a bit right now with the frustration of loosing 7 straight. Most if us knew right from the get go this season that the Canucks were going to be on the fringe of a playoff spot, with all the injuries it's just put us a bit further behind than some expected.

Personally I don't see the Canucks going all the way, and even out of the first round, we wouldn't beat Chicago, Anaheim, St Louis, LA, San Jose, Colorado, and we won't match up with the other wildcard, so it's basically pointless to make the playoffs at this point.

The more we loose at this point is actually better, because the better chances we have at a decent pick in June. I know that sounds harsh but getting a 5-10 pick and missing the playoffs is better than 17-20 and not making it out of the first round. I think Gillis knows that the team has a good chance at a decent pick and I think firing him now would be a mistake. He deserves a chance at the trade deadline, and we are better off having him stay until after the draft at least.

I mean really last summer there were no moves he could actually make. No free agents worth signing and no trades to make with the cap dropping. He arguably made the best moves he could have with Santorelli and Stanton. Now at the deadline teams are willing to pay more and have more cap room with it going up, he could actually make some good moves, and the so called Bold moves could still happen, with the future in mind. I think we need to just give the guy a chance and if he doesn't do anything then let him go this summer.

I think people are over reacting a bit right now with the frustration of loosing 7 straight. Most if us knew right from the get go this season that the Canucks were going to be on the fringe of a playoff spot, with all the injuries it's just put us a bit further behind than some expected.

Personally I don't see the Canucks going all the way, and even out of the first round, we wouldn't beat Chicago, Anaheim, St Louis, LA, San Jose, Colorado, and we won't match up with the other wildcard, so it's basically pointless to make the playoffs at this point.

The more we loose at this point is actually better, because the better chances we have at a decent pick in June. I know that sounds harsh but getting a 5-10 pick and missing the playoffs is better than 17-20 and not making it out of the first round. I think Gillis knows that the team has a good chance at a decent pick and I think firing him now would be a mistake. He deserves a chance at the trade deadline, and we are better off having him stay until after the draft at least.

I mean really last summer there were no moves he could actually make. No free agents worth signing and no trades to make with the cap dropping. He arguably made the best moves he could have with Santorelli and Stanton. Now at the deadline teams are willing to pay more and have more cap room with it going up, he could actually make some good moves, and the so called Bold moves could still happen, with the future in mind. I think we need to just give the guy a chance and if he doesn't do anything then let him go this summer.

You're making too much sense,,

So bring in a new GM just a couple weeks before the trade deadline?

Sounds like a good plan.

Perhaps all you idiots jumping off the wagon right now should realize we are still only a couple points out. We are injured. We are coming off a cluster**** of a month that saw our coach suspended and we obviously need to make some changes to the roster.

.....PERHAPS with some time to heal up, make some adjustments, we could still make a decent run.

But of course the typical CDC moron like you considers this season over with 22 games left.

Go cheer for another team, Canuck fans would look better without you clowns.

You're about 2 years too late. Where were you when the Canucks actually showed up and played consistently? Over 22 games left, with the Canucks playing uninspired and boring hockey while ALREADY out of a playoff spot sure looks like an uphill battle. They've proven before they can't perform under pressure to succeed. You gotta learn to salvage what you have left. Tank the season. Have hope for Reinhart. Just gotta stay positive man.

Very good post and all true. The trade deadline aspect is a big one for me because that's where you can really make some hay. If Gillis is unable to unload some bad-value contracts, it will be an opportunity lost.

Very good post and all true. The trade deadline aspect is a big one for me because that's where you can really make some hay. If Gillis is unable to unload some bad-value contracts, it will be an opportunity lost.

I think Burrows is the best candidate to move at the trade deadline in terms of salary dump. The Canucks would get very little back for him but to clear up $4.5M in cap over the next 3 years is worth the dump IMO. Also, I really like Burrows and think he still could contribute to some team in a Stanley Cup Run with a fresh start and I would wish him the best.

Why is it so hard for fans to accept what this team really is?

Some fans do realize this and want change to improve for the future. Yet the fans that still can't accept it are calling them "bandwagoners" and not true fans.

A lot of them are younger and have favourite players. The older group cheer for the sweater they wear.

As much as I want to make drastic changes, I will stop at that though and ask the coaches/ mgmt to see what is the true problem of why they cant hold leads. Are they confused by their D Assignments? -Are their certain players that appear to make the same mistakes over and over without improvement. If they keep doing the same mistakes over again, why are they even playing them - try someone else. I dont think the season is a write off just yet though getting close - they will need to win their remaining games against Dallas and Pheonix in regulation to even have a chance. I have never seen a team that has given more leads / lost third periods in a long long time. Regardless what happens, do NOT trade the first rounder.

I live in Ontario and watch all the Canucks games on t.v. You don't always really get to see how good or how bad players perform in person when watching it on t.v. You have somewhat of an idea based on shorty and johns analysis at times, but watching it in person makes it even more clear.

I had the chance to go watch the morning practice the day of, only Lu and Lack were practicing though with the coaches. It goes to show how much these 2 are committed to always improving their game. Both are very classy and nice (met both).

From last night's game the players I were impressed with were the following:

Booth (played a solid game)

Richardson (work horse)

Diaz and most of the D played fairly well. Garrison is pretty slow though.

Player's who struggled really bad:

Kassian had a brutal game. Watching the guy without the puck is just terrible. He looks lost out there most of the time. Dumb penalties as well.

Burrows is not himself at all. I think he is playing injured and obviously is lack of confidence is and has been gone for a while now.

Sestito and Lain. Canucks got stuck in their end most of the time when these 2 were on.

D.Sedin. He is obviously not the same with H.Sedin. It's too bad he couldn't take the 2 weeks off as well, may have helped him re-energize his game.

Any thoughts?

hey. im from windsor. like you I watch most of the games on t.v.except for Columbus and Detroit road trips.

anywho, you can pick out high points and low points of every player throughout the season.

kassian-young kid will have many ups and downs. in obvious rough patch now. was arguably out best player december and January.

lain- like kassian very young. still in his first nhl stint. was an undrafted college player last year. hard to judge a player with less than a season of pro games.

sestito- had a great stretch this season where he was one of our most exciting players. has returned to his "goon" form. goons often arent the greatest players and will get stuck in their own end. dont expect more hes not lucic.

booth-i dont care what anyone says about booth and how great of a game he played. hes not worth what hes getting payed. if he was making santorelli money sure.but hes not. hes making 4 million thats retarded.

d. sedin- not playing good without henrik. wasnt playing good with henrik. hasnt played well since d. keith tried to kill him. but he payed for his crime. 3 game suspension or whatever for burning out a star. frack you shanahan.

burrows- who knows if we'll ever see captain clutch again. he may be done being that player but I still have a tonne of respect for him because of what he has done for this club. does that mean we should have rewarded him with the contract we did? no not really but it is what it is and againhe was captain clutch. hopefully he can return to form.

but ya. analyzing one game in person is just as pointless as analyzing one game from t.v. if you watched majority of games in person you would have the advantage over a tv tuner because you have the ability to follow behind the play and focus on specific players.

Archived