The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Santorelli future

ScotianLifestyle

Resigning Mike Santorelli  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One of the biggest problems the Canucks have been having for numerous years (since Manny's injury) has been finding an effective 3rd line C

A team cannot have enough players that are able to not only play both the W and C but can also move up and down the lineup seamlessly.

If you're going to be harsh with your assessments then there are numerous players way ahead of Santo in the scrutiny department.

This.

Yes, Santorelli over achieved early in the season but he's still a SOLID bottom 9 guy. We could have 9 centers on this team and it wouldn't matter...we'd still be looking for a 10th.

Gimme mo cennntaaas

Vcr fans get too attached to players. Santorelli was a good find...primarily by accident but the adrenalin was waring off and he was trending towards a third line player. There's no real shortage of 3rd line players and you have to be harsh with your assesments in order to bring in top line quality. I'll be disapointed if some of the prospects don't make it this next season. So assuming some do...who's going to be cut. Start with the cuts and then sub in the replacement.

Trending to be a third liner?.. that is where he will thrive ,, he has had to play out of position in the top 6 .. that has reduced his effectiveness. as he is a 10 to 12 minute a night player, plus special teams .. him at 3C and Richardson and Hansen on the 4th line is when we will be finally ready to compete.

I think they will let him go to free agency and then see who's available. It's still possible they might re-sign him after that, but he might get offers from elsewhere too.

Typical with this team. Let go of players that are productive and keep the dead weight while trying to look for that "upgrade". IF they had just kept Ehrhoff, Torres, Raymond, Salo etc. maybe we would have the ability to score a couple of goals a game.

Re-signed*

And bridge contract perhaps? We have a lot of young talent that could potentially crack the team

Still signing santos would be smart as a backup option, just to see how our prospects can play in the NHL. You don't want to bank everything on the prospects taking the next step next year. It isn't a guarantee and they might not be ready.

I could see Santos little helper, helping Horvat on the same line.

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Burrows-Horvat-Santos

Higgins-Schroeder-Kassian

Sestito-Richardson-Hansen/Gaunce

Trade Booth, Hansen, Edler for prospects and picks. If Edler can get us some top young prospect like Teravainan or Mantha, I will be really happy. Hansen and Booth can be traded for some pick and cap space to sign another UFA on defense/forward.

If they can get him for 1.5M or less I'd say do it. If not then let him go.

Wouldn't be surprised if MG signs him for 1.5M and gives him a NTC.

Glad to see a good comment. It all depends on price. If Santorelli wants to maximize his income he will sign elsewhere. But if he wants to stay in Vancouver he is a good guy to have for next year. I would not go above $1.5 million, but something in the 1 million to 1.5 million region would be good.

The Canucks could definitely use him. They finally have some good prospects, but none of those guys are a lock for next year. Gaunce will have to prove himself at the AHL level. Same with Fox. Horvat is a possibility but he might develop better staying in Junior for another year. And coming of hip surgery is a bid deal for Shinkaruk. First, let's hope he makes a full recovery. And second, his progress has been set back. This year is pretty much a write-off. I see him in Utica next year, at least to start. And Jensen has improved a lot lately, but it is still far from clear he will make the NHL next year.

Bottom line: Santo is a good guy to have around. At worst he is a good 13th man (a spot you don't want a prospect in). And there is a good chance he ends up as 3rd line centre or 2nd line wing if he re-signs.

Re-sign and if Gaunce/Horvat/Shinkaruk make the team, burn the 'where does Santo play' bridge when you get to it.

Easy, Santorelli replaces Hansen. Santo makes Hansen expendable, I have pointed that out many times.

Shink isn't making the team because of his injuries, plus he and Gaunce will be getting twice the amount of minutes, maybe even triple, in the AHL. Horvat is ready though, and a few bottom 6 rookies (Archie, Lain and maybe Grenier)

Bad things happen when you rush rookies. Patience is a virtue, remember that.

Archived