The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Santorelli future

ScotianLifestyle

Resigning Mike Santorelli  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't want him back. He has a replaceable skill set. He was a nice story and it's unfortunate what happened but major surgery on a one year deal doesn't bode well for future employment.

With who? He was VAN's poor man's version of a playmaking Patty Kane, very good defensively and probably along with Kesler the best and most consistent forward this year.

I sure as heck hope he is re-signed

I honestly don't think we have room for him. We need to make room for HORVAT next year and with Schroeder providing our depth at center, I just don't see a place for him.

? KESLER KASSIAN

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS

HIGGINS HORVAT SCHROEDER

SESTITO RICHARDSON HANSEN

DALPHE

? MOULSON VANEK OR TRADE FOR ANOTHER TOP 6 PLAYEER

BUY OUT BOOTH TO CREATE CAP SPACE OR A TRADE WOULD HAVE INVOLVE EDLER AS THE CENTER PIECE. IF SCHROEDER IS PART OF A TRADE PACKAGE THEN THERE MAY BE A SPOT AVAILABLE FOR HIM

Santorelli is great insurance, I'd re-sign him. He's played 2C when Kesler was with the Twins. 1RW for a spell with the Twins, and did not look out of place. 3RW / 3C paired with Richardson and Hansen as a line that drew defensive match ups, also looking good. He has been better with the puck than any forward not named Sedin, hard on the puck as well, goes to the net, good on possession, kills penalties, fore-checks, goes in the corners, plays like a demon to make life hard for opponents in our end and battles in front of the net. Whats not to like?

He pretty much replaced Hansen as a key role player AND plays center when called on. I'd be trading Hansen and re-signing Santo. There are too many ways to use him even if some young guns crack the roster!

Huh? Unless I'm mistaken, the term 'bridge contract' is used for the contracts that come between a player's entry level deal and when he reaches unrestricted free agency. Santorelli was already UFA.

The term was used as in, Santorelli was signed to bridge the gap until our young players are ready to play.

I honestly don't think we have room for him. We need to make room for HORVAT next year and with Schroeder providing our depth at center, I just don't see a place for him.

? KESLER KASSIAN

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS

HIGGINS HORVAT SCHROEDER

SESTITO RICHARDSON HANSEN

DALPHE

? MOULSON VANEK OR TRADE FOR ANOTHER TOP 6 PLAYEER

BUY OUT BOOTH TO CREATE CAP SPACE OR A TRADE WOULD HAVE INVOLVE EDLER AS THE CENTER PIECE. IF SCHROEDER IS PART OF A TRADE PACKAGE THEN THERE MAY BE A SPOT AVAILABLE FOR HIM

Maybe Schroeder has an epiphone? But he has never played the game as hard, by my observation, as Santorelli plays nearly every shift.

Schroeder has to start taking the initiative to make plays, where he takes the conservative route most opportunities at the moment. Maybe its just confidence? And he does not fore-check, go hard into the corners or drive the puck to the net either as hard as Santorelli. Arguably, J-Schro should be better, he has skills, speed and pedigree, but just press clippings so far. That boy has to start putting his game on the line before I grant him that role!

Maybe Schroeder has an epiphone? But he has never played the game as hard, by my observation, as Santorelli plays nearly every shift.

Schroeder has to start taking the initiative to make plays, where he takes the conservative route most opportunities at the moment. Maybe its just confidence? And he does not fore-check, go hard into the corners or drive the puck to the net either as hard as Santorelli. Arguably, J-Schro should be better, he has skills, speed and pedigree, but just press clippings so far. That boy has to start putting his game on the line before I grant him that role!

This.

Agreed..Schroeder was highly touted in the 2009 Draft (similar players of his stature Gallagher,Gionta,Gerbe were taken no earlier than the 3rd round)....the 5th best North American player in the draft..There has to be a reason for it.

The rest of this season will tell what's going to happen with him..Is MG grooming him for trade fodder?..I,for one,hope he sticks around.

So what you're saying is, Schroeder has an epiphone, and Santorelli has a Les Paul?

Agreed..Schroeder was highly touted in the 2009 Draft (similar players of his stature Gallagher,Gionta,Gerbe were taken no earlier than the 3rd round)....the 5th best North American player in the draft..There has to be a reason for it.

The rest of this season will tell what's going to happen with him..Is MG grooming him for trade fodder?..I,for one,hope he sticks around.

Unfortunately I see Schroeder as our next "Raymond". I think he's going to be a good player but he just doesn't quite fit here and I think he'd have more success playing in the East.

The wave of talented and/or and bigger centres coming up behind him (Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, Fox etc) isn't going to help him stick around either...

Right now he looks like 13th forward next year....

So what you're saying is, Schroeder has an epiphone, and Santorelli has a Les Paul?

A Gibson, they both make Les Pauls.

Gibson owns Epiphone!

so an Epiphone is a Korean made Gibson knockoff licensed by Gibson USA.

I digress but...

Re-sign the Gibson!

BTW to that cue the bass solo guy...

Drum solos RAWK! bASS solos suck and sound like a series of contorted farts!

A Gibson, they both make Les Pauls.

Gibson owns Epiphone!

so an Epiphone is a Korean made Gibson knockoff licensed by Gibson USA.

I digress but...

Re-sign the Gibson!

BTW to that cue the bass solo guy...

Drum solos RAWK! bASS solos suck and sound like a series of contorted farts!

How's about a drum and bass solo? Like peas in a pod. Just ask John Paul Jones.

I also think Santo can be a great example for our rookies. Santo's work ethic and commitment to the sport of hockey are among the best out of all of our players. Santo can came out of Training camp as our most Athletic player and has arguably been our most consistent forward.

You can't blame him for declining, our entire team was and still is. If you expect Santo to play consistently well on a declining team then my god your expectations for him are sky high.

Santo was outplaying a strong majority of our team when he was healthy. Santo has shown he wants to play here, for his home team and is committed to working hard.

Hometown discount + injury = we can re-sign Santo for cheap and move Hansen, giving us more cap this FA.

Santorelli is the 3rd line Centre(that can win faceoffs and play wing) that we have always wanted.

Santorelli is great insurance, I'd re-sign him. He's played 2C when Kesler was with the Twins. 1RW for a spell with the Twins, and did not look out of place. 3RW / 3C paired with Richardson and Hansen as a line that drew defensive match ups, also looking good. He has been better with the puck than any forward not named Sedin, hard on the puck as well, goes to the net, good on possession, kills penalties, fore-checks, goes in the corners, plays like a demon to make life hard for opponents in our end and battles in front of the net. Whats not to like?

He pretty much replaced Hansen as a key role player AND plays center when called on. I'd be trading Hansen and re-signing Santo. There are too many ways to use him even if some young guns crack the roster!

The term was used as in, Santorelli was signed to bridge the gap until our young players are ready to play.

For me this is MG's biggest weakness. You can't just sign guys cause they're good depth. You actually need to have a vision of where they will play. There are only so many postions on a team. None of them are depth player. One of them is you don't cut it you're upstairs.

You're just all over the place there.

I also think Santo can be a great example for our rookies. Santo's work ethic and commitment to the sport of hockey are among the best out of all of our players. Santo can came out of Training camp as our most Athletic player and has arguably been our most consistent forward.

You can't blame him for declining, our entire team was and still is. If you expect Santo to play consistently well on a declining team then my god your expectations for him are sky high.

Santo was outplaying a strong majority of our team when he was healthy. Santo has shown he wants to play here, for his home team and is committed to working hard.

Hometown discount + injury = we can re-sign Santo for cheap and move Hansen, giving us more cap this FA.

Santorelli is the 3rd line Centre(that can win faceoffs and play wing) that we have always wanted.

For me this is MG's biggest weakness. You can't just sign guys cause they're good depth. You actually need to have a vision of where they will play. There are only so many postions on a team. None of them are depth player. One of them is you don't cut it you're upstairs.

There is nothing wrong and everything right with being a utility player. Coaches want that sort of versatility in the line up. That being said, Santo showed he can play top 6 minutes and belong there. Going forward, the onus on him now is to show he can play there at a consistent high level. I think it is worth giving him that shot.

At 28 years of age he is coming into his prime as well.

You're just all over the place there.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Vision is how you find your studs.

Swoosh, I never thought of that...

Nobody wants a depth player who is effective on scoring lines, defensive roles, can take key face off's, or you can send him to fore check or win board battles? Santorelli is a gamer, who can flat out play. Will Santorelli be a 40 goal scorer, no. He just needs to be signed for the right price.

Teams sign depth guys all the time who can anchor a 3rd or 4th line (Helm, Draper). Even better that they can step up and play on a 2knd line, even a first if you want some energy, a different look or in case of injury.

Bring him back, though I'd keep him on a short-term, cheap contract (NO NTC/ NMC). Security in the form of clauses and lengthy, big-money contracts often results in the players regressing after big seasons. I would like to see him on the 3rd line, bumping Hansen down or even out of town in package(s) to improve elsewhere.

Vcr fans get too attached to players. Santorelli was a good find...primarily by accident but the adrenalin was waring off and he was trending towards a third line player. There's no real shortage of 3rd line players and you have to be harsh with your assesments in order to bring in top line quality. I'll be disapointed if some of the prospects don't make it this next season. So assuming some do...who's going to be cut. Start with the cuts and then sub in the replacement.

Vcr fans get too attached to players. Santorelli was a good find...primarily by accident but the adrenalin was waring off and he was trending towards a third line player. There's no real shortage of 3rd line players and you have to be harsh with your assesments in order to bring in top line quality. I'll be disapointed if some of the prospects don't make it this next season. So assuming some do...who's going to be cut. Start with the cuts and then sub in the replacement.

One of the biggest problems the Canucks have been having for numerous years (since Manny's injury) has been finding an effective 3rd line C

A team cannot have enough players that are able to not only play both the W and C but can also move up and down the lineup seamlessly.

If you're going to be harsh with your assessments then there are numerous players way ahead of Santo in the scrutiny department.

Archived