The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Florida takes dal colle. They're loaded with top end young centres.

Same with buffalo, I can't see them passing on ekblad just because they have Tyler Myers. They have good young centres as well.

One thing I'm wondering, if buffalo takes ekblad, any chance Edmonton goes off the board for Fluery? He's been ranked 6th a few times this year. I'm betting Edmonton has scouted the crap outta him all year because if their major need back there.. They're loaded with talent up front, it wouldn't shock me to see them look past BPA to take a guy like Fluery.

I have been wondering, if Edmonton needs D so badly, if they would take one of ours plus our pick for their first pick.

If we end up with say 10th pick, and send our first and second along with maybe Stanton and Sauve to Edmonton for their first and second picks maybe.

Buffalo has a beastly future defense core but no player who will be a #1 center. Hodgson is a #2 center and so is Girgensons.

If Edmonton wants Fleury I assume they'll trade down to get him. I don't see the point of wasting a second overall on him (he is not worth it at that position).

The not worth it thing is what I'm getting at. Maybe he is in their eyes based on extensive scouting. Mid season Edmonton pretty much knew they were going to be picking in his range and had to have scouted him big time. If they were pretty sure he's the next seabrook, maybe they go for him.

Be nice to make that trade up with them tho.. If we have 6th, I wonder if our first and second would do it.

I have been wondering, if Edmonton needs D so badly, if they would take one of ours plus our pick for their first pick.

If we end up with say 10th pick, and send our first and second along with maybe Stanton and Sauve to Edmonton for their first and second picks maybe.

I don't think Stanton helps their D enough to be particularly interested. Sauve certainly doesn't. they might as well just go after a college UFA if they're that desperate. If they wanted to try and get one of our top 4 D, that could be more interesting, but then the value would be way off and not sure if they'd do that for their 1st alone.

Yeah, Stanton and Sauve might not get it done.

I was just thinking that, since it usually takes longer to develop defensemen, and Edmonton already has a handful of top-pick forwards, that one or two of the defensemen we have that we drafted before them might fit.

I hate to suggest Corrado or Tanev, so who's left: Stanton, Weber, Sauve, Tommernes (sp?), Andersson (sp?)??

I also got to thinking I might like to change their second pick for our second pick.

With Edmonton's second pick, we may get DeAngelo (sp?) or Honka.

That's why I tried to get 2 D players/prospects into the mix; one for each pick swap.

Buffalo needs to draft Ekblad, trade Myers + one of their 2nd round picks to Edmonton, draft Bennett/Reinhart/Draisaitl, and they would be set.

plus i think there is a chance of them getting nyi's pick so maybe something like ekblad, reinhart, and draisaitl/dal colle. Lol thats nhl 14 like.

If we drafted 8th and Perlini fell to us cuz of Ehlers and Nylander going 6-7 I'd chuckle.

He's going top 6 guaranteed.

I would hardly call Perlini a lock for 6th overall. Ehlers stock has definitely increased in the playoffs. Same with Ritchie. Meanwhile, Perlini is struggling with 1 point in 7 playoff games. Scouts thought that Nylander could go top3 prior to this season, and some even thought he had the skill to compete for 1st overall. He did start off the season slow, but then he really picked his game up and dominated against men in the Swedish 2nd league. I think Nylander could even crack the top 5, given he really picked up his game and met the high expectations, i wouldn't count on it though. The projected top5 picks are more safe picks than Nylander, and they all have high potential. Nylander have 1st line potential though, but there's also a few question marks regarding him. He will probably get drafted just outside the top5, but he could pan out really well. I would be happy if we got Perlini though.

I was just thinking that, since it usually takes longer to develop defensemen, and Edmonton already has a handful of top-pick forwards, that one or two of the defensemen we have that we drafted before them might fit.

I hate to suggest Corrado or Tanev, so who's left: Stanton, Weber, Sauve, Tommernes (sp?), Andersson (sp?)??

I also got to thinking I might like to change their second pick for our second pick.

That's why I tried to get 2 D players/prospects into the mix; one for each pick swap.

I wouldn't trade corrado or Tanev just to move up 3 or 4 spots. Rather take my chances with Ritchie or Nylander and keep our d prospects.

Thinking about it more.. If corrado and our first could get you theirs and maybe a second or third. There's your Kesler replacement. Then try like hell to get pouliot+ out of Pitt. Pouliot and first would do just fine for me.

We take a step back losing Kesler and rushing Reinhart but who cares. Pouliot is a high end d prospect and Reinhart is a high end centre prospect. Rebuild done son

I think Draisaitl will go in top 3. Rinehart will probably drop imo. Bennett he will do well.

I think either Reinhart or Ekblad will go 1st overall, depending on team. The top3 will probably be Reinhart, Ekblad and Dal Colle, in no particular order. Those guys have been up there all season, and they have all been great in the playoffs so far. Dal Colle 10 points in 4 games so far, and Reinhart 17 points in 6 games.

I think Draisaitl will go in top 3. Rinehart will probably drop imo. Bennett he will do well.

A lot of rankings have Draisaitl out of the top 10, nonetheless the top 5:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=114013

At the same time, some lists have him as high as 2:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9597

It will be interesting to see how things pan out, as I have yet to see a list that is agreed upon by everyone. Still, I don't think I've ever seen this much disparity when monitoring draft rankings.

What I have found to be effective is this method of ranking players by points made up of consensus rankings:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-consensus-rankings/

Even then, it has Anthony DeAngelo at 28th when he's top 10 on Button's and the CSS rankings list. So it's a moving target, and hard to say who goes in the top 5 as much as you guys think it's a lock. Nylander could well round out the top 5, and if early rankings are any indication, Fleury could rise as he is the 2nd best D man in the draft.

Cool article on Brendan Lemieux. Don't know if he'll still be around at our second pick but man id love to add him to the prospect pool. Or If we get a late first in a draft day deal i really hope we take him. Game models after his dad and pops won 4 cups lol even if he busts i wont hold it against gillis one bit haha

from the calgary sun sometime in january

Seems like there will be some pretty interesting players around for us in the second round. Lemiuex is interesting, but there's also guys like Jack Glover, Josh Jacobs, Jack Dougherty, Justin Kirkland, John Quenneville (Joel Quenneville's 2nd cousin apparently lol). I would be happy if we ended up with any of the top-rated goalies in the 2nd round aswell. Nedeljkovic, Demko and Husso all look like goaltenders with good potential.

Also regarding Nedeljkovic, i find it pretty remarkable he's playing on a team that made the playoffs as an 8th seeded team, yet he has been so good. He have played every game this season except for 7. The only guy who had a better save % in the regular season in the OHL is Stolarz, who's playing on a top team (the Knights). Nedeljkovic had .925 compared to Stolarz .926 . Nedeljkovic did play 26 more games though, nevertheless, that's some real solid numbers for someones draft year. He's not that big though.

Also regarding Nedeljkovic, i find it pretty remarkable he's playing on a team that made the playoffs as an 8th seeded team, yet he has been so good. He have played every game this season except for 7. The only guy who had a better save % in the regular season in the OHL is Stolarz, who's playing on a top team (the Knights). Nedeljkovic had .925 compared to Stolarz .926 . Nedeljkovic did play 26 more games though, nevertheless, that's some real solid numbers for someones draft year. He's not that big though.

He may not be one of the gargantuan type goalies typically from Scandanavia but the guy has been an OHL starter since he stepped into the league pretty much, and came out of nowhere to do so. He'll be a number 1 somewhere barring a serious injury, sky is the limit. He's a workhorse who is efficient with his movement so he can be able to play so many games without dropping form. Its scary to think of what he could do on a better team

I wouldn't trade corrado or Tanev just to move up 3 or 4 spots. Rather take my chances with Ritchie or Nylander and keep our d prospects.

Thinking about it more.. If corrado and our first could get you theirs and maybe a second or third. There's your Kesler replacement. Then try like hell to get pouliot+ out of Pitt. Pouliot and first would do just fine for me.

We take a step back losing Kesler and rushing Reinhart but who cares. Pouliot is a high end d prospect and Reinhart is a high end centre prospect. Rebuild done son

Came in here to post the same idea.

We know Gillis has tried to trade up to pick potential #1 dmen. eg. trying to trade up and draft Hedman, as well as trying to trade up to draft Griffin Reinhart.

With a higher pick this year I can see him trying to acquire or swap picks with Edmonton to draft Ekblad as it's safe to assume Buffalo will draft Sam Reinhart.

The question is what would it take to acquire that pick. I would put in proposals but I'm no expert, but I'd be interested to see what some of you guys would think it would take.

Archived