The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't even imagine something so impossible.

Impossible like Shinkaruk dropping to 24th? :frantic:

I wouldn't be surprised (but I would be insanely happy) if one of the top 5 drop. That said, I think there is room to argue that after the top 3, there is actually a tier of quite a few good players. Despite the reputation for this draft of not being "deep", I think it's just the opposite. The top end talent isn't there but the number of really good prospects is quite high. Thus, I'd be very happy with Nylander if none of the consensus top 5 drop.

All this mega support for Ehlers and he is agreed on only at 8th? And Virtanen, who is ranked 10th here over Ehlers at 8th would be disappointing? Alrighty then.

Anyway, this: http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/ a recent mock draft shows us picking Virtanen at #6.

1 Florida-Ekblad

2 Buffalo-Bennett

3 Edmonton-Draisaitl

4 Calgary-Reinhart

5 NYI/Buf-Dal Colle

6 Vancouver-Virtanen

7 Carolina-Ritchie

8 Toronto-Perlini

9 Winnipeg-Ehlers

10 Anaheim-Fleury

11 Nashville-Nylander

12 Phoenix-Fabbri

13 Washington-Goldobin

14 Dallas-Sherbak

15 Detroit-Pastrnak

16 Columbus-Larkin

17 Philadelphia-Barbashev

18 Tampa Bay-McCann

19 Minnesota-Tuch

20 Montreal-Fiala

21 Tampa Bay-Milano

22 Chicago-Irving

23 San Jose-McKeown

24 St. Louis-Kapanen

25 Pittsburgh-Ho-Sang

26 Colorado-Quennville

27 Anaheim-Glover

28 Boston-Bleackly

29 Los Angeles-Pettersen

30 New Jersey-Martin

This is fairly accurate based on what I've seen myself and from scouts. Fabbri's playoff is causing him to rise a bit too much i think, but that's the way it is. Tuch and Milano at 19 and 21 is a bit late. Kapanen at 24 is a bit of a surprise as well, but not totally unexpected.

not a fan of demko going to Dallas as they have Jack Campbell already

but Vrana over a dmen over Sanheim? iunno .........

After his U18 performance I dont see Sanheim getting out of the first round. Especially with how forward heavy it is. But if hes available at 36 then its a no brainer. If not im happy with #6 -Virtanen/Ritchie (team still stills needs size) then #36 -Vrana/Honka/Sanheim. That is unless a Dal Colle or Draisaitl slip (fingers crossed)

All this mega support for Ehlers and he is agreed on only at 8th? And Virtanen, who is ranked 10th here over Ehlers at 8th would be disappointing? Alrighty then.

Anyway, this: http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/ a recent mock draft shows us picking Virtanen at #6.

1 Florida-Ekblad

2 Buffalo-Bennett

3 Edmonton-Draisaitl

4 Calgary-Reinhart

5 NYI/Buf-Dal Colle

6 Vancouver-Virtanen

7 Carolina-Ritchie

8 Toronto-Perlini

9 Winnipeg-Ehlers

10 Anaheim-Fleury

11 Nashville-Nylander

12 Phoenix-Fabbri

13 Washington-Goldobin

14 Dallas-Sherbak

15 Detroit-Pastrnak

16 Columbus-Larkin

17 Philadelphia-Barbashev

18 Tampa Bay-McCann

19 Minnesota-Tuch

20 Montreal-Fiala

21 Tampa Bay-Milano

22 Chicago-Irving

23 San Jose-McKeown

24 St. Louis-Kapanen

25 Pittsburgh-Ho-Sang

26 Colorado-Quennville

27 Anaheim-Glover

28 Boston-Bleackly

29 Los Angeles-Pettersen

30 New Jersey-Martin

This is fairly accurate based on what I've seen myself and from scouts. Fabbri's playoff is causing him to rise a bit too much i think, but that's the way it is. Tuch and Milano at 19 and 21 is a bit late. Kapanen at 24 is a bit of a surprise as well, but not totally unexpected.

Your cherry picked list is old. Its not recent . No recent mock draft or otherwise has Virtanen in contention for 6th overall. Here is a list of a consensus of updated draft bureaus and mock drafts . I have taken the latest 4 .

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Ehers 5th, 11th, 8th, 5th

Virtanen, 11th, 10th, 11th, 8th

Ritchie , 18th, 9th, 7th,7th

Nylander , 3rd, 4th, 5th, 9th

I know its difficult for you to accept but you might want to quite down about Virtanen's, draft rankings. Its become old and is not supported by the facts.

I tend to agree with you on this point. Pouliot is exactly the type of prospect this team needs, and something that is not clearly available in the draft.

I'd be very happy with Pouliot, Bennett and a mid range pick for Kesler.

Id be freaking out if we got Pouliot and Bennett for Kesler. Im all in for that trade.

Impossible like Shinkaruk dropping to 24th? :frantic:

I wouldn't be surprised (but I would be insanely happy) if one of the top 5 drop. That said, I think there is room to argue that after the top 3, there is actually a tier of quite a few good players. Despite the reputation for this draft of not being "deep", I think it's just the opposite. The top end talent isn't there but the number of really good prospects is quite high. Thus, I'd be very happy with Nylander if none of the consensus top 5 drop.

I can see Drasaitl dropping cause of foot speed issues. If he does we take him , he is only a year or two away from being a pro.

Your cherry picked list is old. Its not recent . No recent mock draft or otherwise has Virtanen in contention for 6th overall. Here is a list of a consensus of updated draft bureaus and mock drafts . I have taken the latest 4 .

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/

Ehers 5th, 11th, 8th, 5th

Virtanen, 11th, 10th, 11th, 8th

Ritchie , 18th, 9th, 7th,7th

Nylander , 3rd, 4th, 5th, 9th

I know its difficult for you to accept but you might want to quite down about Virtanen's, draft rankings. Its become old and is not supported by the facts.

Anyone that has Ritchie at 18th is not reliable in my eyes. Thats hogwash.

Id be freaking out if we got Pouliot and Bennett for Kesler. Im all in for that trade.

Yeah I could care less if there's a pick involved if those 2 are in the deal. It's all about getting quality back. 2 quality youngsters that are pretty much sure bet nhlers, one with a massive ceiling. Take it and run. Hell I'd throw in the Diaz 5th rounder to make it work haha

Still think a trade is inevitable.

Its our highest pick since the Sedins, which is why I think its a perfect time to bundle it to move up for Reinhart. Even as an under-ager, he was Canadas WJHC teams most noticeable player imo... I remember Ferraro going on and on about how smart he plays and how much of the teams offense was channeling through him.

I love the idea of having Reinhart, Horvat, and Shinkaruk (who I think wouldve made the team over Mantha if he were healthy), along with Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Fox, Cassels... Multiple skill sets and roles to fill.

I know there is a lot of talk about Virtanen vs Ritchie, how skilled is Ehlers, etc, but what is the general consensus on Nylander? I think there is not much known about him, and his point totals are rather underwhelming as he plays with grown men. How strong is the competition in his league? From what I've seen of him he seems to have better all-around skill than anyone outside the Top 5.

If Draisaitl were to fall, that would be great.

I don't think his skating issues are a big deal. He's got a slower first few steps but that can be improved, once he gets going his full out speed is more than fine.

He could be a future #1C for us. With Horvat at #2. Getting him would be great, though my dream scenario is still Dal Colle falling to us.

If Draisaitl were to fall, that would be great.

I don't think his skating issues are a big deal. He's got a slower first few steps but that can be improved, once he gets going his full out speed is more than fine.

He could be a future #1C for us. With Horvat at #2. Getting him would be great, though my dream scenario is still Dal Colle falling to us.

Draisaitl won't, Treliving was just on calgary radio today basically stating that they have a list of top 4 guys they are wanting depending who falls to them, and that Draisaitl is in that list..

And they didn't see an issue with his skating, in fact they were comparing it to Jagr

Draisaitl won't, Treliving was just on calgary radio today basically stating that they have a list of top 4 guys they are wanting depending who falls to them, and that Draisaitl is in that list..

And they didn't see an issue with his skating, in fact they were comparing it to Jagr

Yeah I agree, his skating really isn't a huge issue, and the NHL game only minimizes the concern IMO.

If he goes before us that's fine, maybe that means a chance at Dal Colle who knows. Or else hopefully Ehlers if we can't get any of those guys.

I wouldn't put too much thought into some of those mock drafts online as they are pretty unreliable and a lot of them are all over the place the only ones I really trust are central scouting, ISS, and the one I trust the most is Bob Mckenzie. They have:

Ritchie: 7, 9, 6

Ehlers: 13, 11, 7

Virtanen: 6, 10, 8

Nylander: 2nd euro, 5, 12

Archived