The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was Nylander your choice? Ok.

When you mentioned coaching, Torts' failure was implied. Otherwise it would not have been mentioned. The powerplay however is not Torts' fault. Not his job, nor was the lineup complete for a decent powerplay from the get-go. We're not improving the powerplay by changing coaching. We already tried that.

In any event, it's irrelevant. The lineup isn't good. When Kesler leaves it will become far worse immediately. If Edmonton ever wakes up and Calgary improves at all, we're easily in lottery contention, and it won't be deliberate.

I think Linden's smart enough to see this.

But back to this thread, there's no reason to pick a one-dimensional lightweight floater perimeter type regardless of what the plan is. I think Linden's smart enough to know that too. If not, well, we have long-term problems.

How is PP not the coaches issue?

How is PP not the coaches issue?

Choose the correct coach for the blame. But there's only so much any coach could do if the lineup has depleted.

Then look at the lineup. 1. Henrik and Daniel have diminished. 2. Since Salo left the powerplay's taken a dive. Brown, who oversaw our team being great on the pp in years past, pointed that out when he was canned. We have no decent one-timer from Henrik fed passes from the right boards. (Bingo.). 3. Ehrhoff's speed is also missed. 4. There's no solution coming soon.

I have him at 17th right now on my personal list, but I'm not nearly done comprising it.

That's fine, but every other scouting rankings have him no lower than 11th.

I still don't get why people underrate this guy.

Choose the correct coach for the blame. But there's only so much any coach could do if the lineup has depleted.

Then look at the lineup. 1. Henrik and Daniel have diminished. 2. Since Salo left the powerplay's taken a dive. Brown, who oversaw our team being great on the pp in years past, pointed that out when he was canned. We have no decent one-timer from Henrik fed passes from the right boards. (Bingo.). 3. Ehrhoff's speed is also missed. 4. There's no solution coming soon.

Coaches job is to find the solution.

torts is fired tomorrow so all is good

@FarhanLaljiTSN: BREAKING - John Tortorella will be fired by #canucks tomorrow

My biggest issue with how people view Virtanen is his age, his line mates, his scoring prowess and speed and his potential ceiling based on the league he plays in.

They hype up ehlers for specific reasons, yet discount Virtanen based on the same reasons.

If there is/was a way to draft both these kids, i'd bend over backwards to get it done as based on our positional needs and our need for skill, these guys fit both criteria wonderfully

Just consider this. If Virtanen was born in Europe and Ehlers was from Vancouver, how many people do you think would want Ehlers? I'll tell you; the amount of people would greatly increase.

Virtanen gets so much talk here just because he's from the Vancouver area.

I'm fine with Virtanen as the 10th pick, I believe there are better players at the 6th spot (Ritchie and Ehlers).

Was Nylander your choice? Ok.

When you mentioned coaching, Torts' failure was implied. Otherwise it would not have been mentioned. The powerplay however is not Torts' fault. Not his job, nor was the lineup complete for a decent powerplay from the get-go. We're not improving the powerplay by changing coaching. We already tried that.

In any event, it's irrelevant. The lineup isn't good. When Kesler leaves it will become far worse immediately. If Edmonton ever wakes up and Calgary improves at all, we're easily in lottery contention, and it won't be deliberate.

I think Linden's smart enough to see this.

But back to this thread, there's no reason to pick a one-dimensional lightweight floater perimeter type regardless of what the plan is. I think Linden's smart enough to know that too. If not, well, we have long-term problems.

:picard:

That's fine, but every other scouting rankings have him no lower than 11th.

I still don't get why people underrate this guy.

I think he's a little overrated as far as some people having him in the top 10.

I'm just not that impressed, good speed, good shot, two-way presence, decent passing ability, aside from that not a whole lot there.

Inconsistent, perimeter player, not physical, doesn't use his size, I just don't see his upside as all that high, maybe 2nd liner, or else 2nd/3rd tweener type which can still be valuable but I think there are better prospects.

Just consider this. If Virtanen was born in Europe and Ehlers was from Vancouver, how many people do you think would want Ehlers? I'll tell you; the amount of people would greatly increase.

I'm fine with Virtanen as the 10th pick, I believe there are better players at the 6th spot (Ritchie and Ehlers).

Pretty much this. Is it even documented that Virtanen is a Canuck fan? Does that matter to people here? Or is it just because he's from BC? Imagine if he said, prior to the draft, that he's a die-hard Flame fan. I would laugh so hard.

The Virtanen Canucks fan aspect isn't a major factor. The elite speed and shot is. No injury history. Not undersized. And he's got more room to grow. Hence why central scouting has him above Ritchie and well above Ehlers. Lower risk. More transferable NHL upside. He's a better prospect than Shinkaruk at the moment. (Easily, since Shink is repairing a bad hip.)

Any of the top 5 or Ritchie and im happy. Ehlers or Virtanen im ok with as well. Anyone else and ill be shocked.

there would be absolutely nothing wrong with kapanen at #6 either. He's going to be a rock solid NHL'er, and a centre piece of the future of the team that drafts him

I don't really care where he is born honestly. Talent is talent.

And Ehlers has it in spades. We are talking about losing Kesler, and Virtanen at 17 years and 5 months old is apparently the next coming of Kesler only faster smarter and with a better shot.

We have trouble putting goals in the net, and in 5 years from now we'd need a kid just like this.

I have no issues with anyone in this forums top 10 except for Nylander. I have never been a fan of the play when I feel like it mentality

Anyway, there was nothing wrong with the coach until January. That's when injuries took over.

Just because the cracks were small, doesn't mean they weren't there. Also, the former had a lot to do with the latter.

Not with the 6th but if you wouldnt take him in the second round your honestly not that bright, sorry to say...

Please show me where I said I wouldn't take him in the second round?

Also, please learn some basic grammar before posting.

"your honestly not that bright"

Go back to school.

Based on what?

Watching his play at the U18, he's often lazy and uninspired. He doesn't look like he has the talent level of Virtanen and Ehlers and he doesn't use his size as well as Ritchie. He's also who I would consider the most likely to bust out of the projected top 10 in this years draft.

Honestly, I believe Trevor Linden will be trading up for Sam Reinhart. It makes too much sense. Sam is a BC kid with amazing upside, but he has what I believe Trevor will be looking for, leadership qualities and great work ethic in the mold of one Trevor Linden himself.

I would be shocked if Trevor isn't all in for Sam Reinhart.

Now if that does not happen or cannot be worked out, I think we take the BPA, and since the BPA is highly debatable from 6-10, I think we take who Trevor/The New GM feels will have the best leadership qualities mixed with talent, size, and speed.

How do Ritchie and Virtanen stack up leadership wise? From what I have seen of Virtanen's mic'd up prospect game, he doesn't seem to have a problem speaking up and trying to motivate his teammates, I am just not sure if he is a "lead by example" type that Reinhart also brings with his game.

I haven't been able to find much on the other prospects.....

Archived