The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Right.

So no one is allowed to make predications, prognostications or have personal opinions about what they should do because you think it's stupid.

GTFO with that superior attitude.

+1, those kind of posts irritate me a little bit, from my standpoint we all love the Canucks, and alot of us have a passion for prospects and the draft, I don't see why people are bothered by that.

Word in calgary is Calgary Flames want another pick in the top 8

The will be keeping their 4th overall and with that pick will select a center.

There first choice is Reinhart. A right handed center (Monahan is left handed) that will give flames a great 1-2 punch down the middle. They love his vision.

If Reinhart is gone they will take Draisaitl. The big German who they feel has the best playmaking ability in the draft. He’s big and extremely hard to knock of the puck. He works hard in the corners and has great puck control along the boards, similar to Jagr.

Flames then will try to obtain another top 8 pick. The will use their currency (Two 2nd round picks) and possible roster spots to go after this pick.

They will likely try to get the 5th overall from NYI who are said to be entertaining offers (could Wideman as well as the Canes at 7th. FLA’s asking price is too much and FLA would likely want a top 6 pick going back the other way, this defeats the purpose of Calgary getting two picks in the top 8.

Calgary really likes Virtanen, Dal Colle and Fluery, Whether they want a winger with that second top 10 pick or a D all depends on where they could be picking (5th vs 7th) and who would be available.

Where did you hear that?

My sense is the Flames don't like Draisaitl, and that they would like someone like Ritchie or Virtanen, that's my speculation coupled with the comments Burke made awhile ago. I think they would really like Bennett.

Anyways, yeah just wondering where you heard this from?

IMO, the Canucks do not "need" Reinhart to the point of sacrificing their other prospects. Of more importance is acquiring either established young players or highly-touted prospects from moving Kesler, especially the #10 pick from Anaheim. The likelihood of a Draisaitl or Dal Colle dropping out of the top-5 is not at all unfeasible.

Take a step back and picture Kassian, Shinkaruk, Dal Colle, and Virtanen on the wings, and tell me that is not preferable to going "all in" just to get the top pick. I believe it is the type of game Benning and Linden envision this team playing -- fast, aggressive, relentless forechecking, hitting, and scoring.

Agreed. There are alot of good players available at 6th & potentially 10th if we can get it, I would rather take the BPA now, save our assets, and try to get a center through other means besides paying FLA's huge price.

Not suggesting that we take him at 6th overall, but why do so many people think Perlini is a bust?

Pure perimeter player IMO, he's got a nice shot, nice speed, but doesn't use his size, doesn't play with an edge, I just don't think he really has high end skill, by that I mean natural talent level, he's a good shooter, good passer, but I just don't see huge upside because of his lack of bite.

He went on a tear early in the year, and from what I understand was around a PPG from about January on, then he wasn't a factor in the playoffs, so I think it was just a hot streak, then he cooled off into what he really is, I see someone like Eric Cornel get lowballed potential wise for just being a PPG player (same goes for someone like Bleackley), and Perlini after the tear was the same, a PPG player.

I look at Nikita Scherbak in Saskatoon (who I have solidly ahead of Perlini on my list) and I see the bite he plays with, and his grit & bite is exactly what Perlini is missing IMO.

Shiznak won't like it, but I have Perlini pretty low, first round, but low, past the 15-20 range.

If we keep the 6th, there's a 75% chance we pick Viranten. Benning has already stated he wants more BC players in the Canucks system. Also, it's not like Viranten isn't a good prospect, hell he might even become the best player out of everyone. He has very key tools that should basically guarantee NHL success. Size, tremendous speed, a hard shot, high hockey IQ, grit. This comes in one package which you don't see very often. Personally i thought he should have done much better in the WHL, than what he did, but he can have tremendous success in the NHL if he can be consistent, and also have a drive so that he can play all out every game, and his inspiration should come from playing for his hometown team.

In a draft like this, you could really say that about alot of guys, I think there are like atleast 7 guys you could say that abuot.

Voracek and Virtanen is a great comparison. They have similar size, both have tremendous speed, both have good shots, and both are gritty and like to lay the body.

So wouldn't you guys want want Voracek on the Canucks?

I don't see the comparison at all.

Voracek and Virtanen is a great comparison. They have similar size, both have tremendous speed, both have good shots, and both are gritty and like to lay the body.

So wouldn't you guys want want Voracek on the Canucks?

Hi scouting report, save a better shot, looks earily like David Booth to me?

I don't think it's fair to compare anyone to booth, really.. Torts was right, booth is a weirdo haha. He seems like he's that guy you worked with that was way too overly nice, smiled too much on Monday, invited you to bible study every week knowing you'd decline and always told you nice things about yourself. Then you'd look across the room 10 mins later and he's already making another co worker uncomfortable.

Virtanen probably keeps it a lot realer than booth ever did.

+1, those kind of posts irritate me a little bit, from my standpoint we all love the Canucks, and alot of us have a passion for prospects and the draft, I don't see why people are bothered by that.

Where did you hear that?

My sense is the Flames don't like Draisaitl, and that they would like someone like Ritchie or Virtanen, that's my speculation coupled with the comments Burke made awhile ago. I think they would really like Bennett.

Fan 960 flames radio. The comments about Draisiatl were taken out of context burke was saying he's got a big @ss as a compliment to his playing style not as a negative. I went to the season ticket holder meeting(since I have flames season tickets) where the management came out and talked about there plans and answers questions. They really like Draistaitl, Conroy has been really pushing for him. They like how strong he is on the puck. There number 4 pick is narrowed down to Leon, both sams and ekblad. They wont go outside of that at number 4

If he plays like pre-injury Booth, you have the potential for a 60 point player. I'm not a Virtanen fan, but if he ended up like that you could do a lot worse. My biggest concern is his supposed "poor" vision for passing lanes, and the injury risk associated with his kind of reckless game.

It would suck to draft a one-trick pony who ends up injured and can't play how he wants, just like Booth.

If he plays like pre-injury Booth, you have the potential for a 60 point player. I'm not a Virtanen fan, but if he ended up like that you could do a lot worse. My biggest concern is his supposed "poor" vision for passing lanes, and the injury risk associated with his kind of reckless game.

It would suck to draft a one-trick pony who ends up injured and can't play how he wants, just like Booth.

Rather have nylander :P

For those not interested in visiting the puckrant site:

1. Florida- Aaron Ekblad, D

As much as other teams will be coming for the pick, I don't think anyone bucks up the drastic overpayment the Tallon is looking for. Ekblad gives the Panthers that top level defenceman to build the blueline around.

2. Buffalo- Sam Reinhart, C

Anyone who's seen the Sabres interview knows, how can I put this, they're jerks. They go after the player from every angle - It's like watching a CIA interrogation. Sam Reinhart will pass that type of interrogation. He's their guy now.

3. Vancouver (From EDM)- Sam Bennett, C

Vancouver wants either Bennett or Reinhart. When Reinhart's not there, they still don't hesitate and get the centre they need. The No. 6 pick and Tanev is a steep price, but Benning gets his a guy that will take the "C from Hank down the road.

4. Toronto (From CAL)- Leon Draisaitl, C

The Flames don't seem to be too high on Draisaitl, so I think they look at dealing down and what better partner then Burke's old team. The cost, Burkes favourite defenceman Jake Gardiner and the No. 8 pick. Leafs finally get a centre to build around.

5. NY Islanders- Michael Dal Colle, LW/C

The Islanders play it safe and take a guy that might be able to make the jump next season. Even if he doesn't, he'll look good in their top-6 in a few years.

6. Edmonton (From VAN)- Haydn Fleury, D

A little heartbroken that Draisaitl didn't fall to them at six (which is 50/50 at this point), but adding another real good defenceman to the stable is a good consolation prize. They'll now look to add a centre via free agency or trade.

7. Carolina- William Nylander, RW

New GM Ron Francis knows how important skill is and Nylander has as much as anyone in the draft. He could also start the year in the AHL and move up to the big club mid-season after learning the North American game.

8. Calgary (From TOR)- Nick Ritchie, LW

Flames want size and skill. Nick Ritchie has that and the Flames get him by dealing down. Gardiner will also help the Flames offence from the backend.

9. Winnipeg- Jake Virtanen, LW

The Jets get a steal here and add another, big, fast, physical forward. I know the shoulder likely won't have him ready, but bring Virtanen to camp and have him live with Andrew Ladd for the duration of camp. Something is bound to rub off on him.

10. Anaheim (From OTT)- Travis Sanheim, D

Back-to-back Hitmen go in the biggest surprise of the first round. The ducks really like what Sanheim brings and his name kind of rhymes with the city.

11. Nashville- Nikolaj Ehlers, LW

The Predators need to find a game breaker and Ehlers could develop into that type of player once he adds some size. He's also one of the best skaters and he'll likely be the Preds all-time points leader one day.

12. Phoenix- Kasperi Kapanen, RW

All the Coyotes do is take NHLers kids. Kapanen is a very complete player that fits the Yotes system and might even be good enough to play a little next season.

13. Washington- Brendan Perlini, LW

Some question his compete level, but there's just too much to like about Perlini to pass on. He's an outstanding skater with good size. He should round into a Jeff Carter type of player one day.

14. Columbus (From DAL)- Kevin Fiala, C

With two third round picks, the Blue Jackets move up two spots to make sure the Wings or Stars don't take the guy they covet. Fiala is the type of game breaker they need in the system.

15. Detroit- Dylan Larkin, C

Larkin is a complete player that should be able to fill a top-9 spot in three-to-four years. He's got everything you look for in a centre - size, speed, defensive awareness and skill.

16. Dallas (From CBJ)- Ivan Barbashev, C/LW

They took a Russian and it worked out real well last season, so they aren't scared to take Russians. Barbashev is a complete player and some NHL brass think he's the best leader to come through the draft in years.

17. Philadelphia- Alex Tuch, RW/C

He's one of the best power-forward projects in the draft. The jury is still out on whether he's going to be a top-6, but he should be able to be a solid top-9 down the road. His physical style just fits in Philly.

18. San Jose (From MIN)- Jakub Vrana, C

The Sharks give up their third round pick in typical Sharks fashion to make sure they get their guy. Vrana and Hertl...the "Czech Connection.

19. Tampa Bay- Julius Honka, D

The Lightning are loaded up front with a ton of young talent, so they grab a defenceman that is in the Erik Karlsson mold. He's a few years away, but he's going to be running an NHL power-play one day.

20. Minnesota (From SJS)- Robby Fabbri, C

The Wild are a team on the rise and they add a guy that knows how to win. Fabbri is a little small, but he's an explosive skater with an edge and a great motor.

21. Ottawa (From STL)- Jared McCann, C

They get this pick in a Spezza deal and use it to take a player that has been all over the map this season. McCann has the talent to be one of the biggest steals of the draft.

22. Pittsburgh- Sonny Milano, LW/C

The Penguins are on the record as saying they will take a forward and I can't disagree with that because they are loaded with defenceman prospects. Milano is a ways a way, but he's got top-6 skill and smarts.

23. Colorado- Adrian Kempe, RW/C

The Avalanche take a player that will be a sure fire, top-9 player. Kempe also has a very high ceiling and could have a number of teams shaking their heads after passing him.

24. Vancouver (From ANA)- Brendan Lemieux, LW

Vancouver gets this pick in the Kesler deal and uses it to take a sure-fire pest. Lemieux plays very much like his dad and always puts his team first. He has 20-25 goal upside in the NHL.

25. Vancouver (From BOS)- Anthony DeAngelo, D

Vancouver moves up from 36 and takes on Chris Kelly's salary so that the Bruins can re-sign Iginla. DeAngelo has top-10 talent and when you can get a guy like that at 25 you take it. More compete level added to the Canucks organization in the first 25 picks then they had in the locker room all of last season.

26. Montreal- David Pastrnak, C/LW

Montreal takes a guy that has a lot of Datsyuk in him. He was also one of the best interviews at the combine. It would not shock me to see this kids with all-world skill in the top-15.

27. Chicago- Nick Schmaltz, C

He played for the Chicago Mission as a kids and he's one of the most talent guys available at the 27 spot. He's another very good player for the Blackhawks system.

28. Tampa Bay (From NYR)- Roland McKeown, D

They took the flashy defenceman in Honka at 19 and now they round out their defencmen depth by taking the steady McKeown. He's an outstanding skater and he should play 20-23 minutes a night in the NHL.

29. Los Angeles- Conner Bleackley, C

Darryl Sutter's brother coaches him in Red Deer and he's going to be a quality NHL player. He's also got the size and two-way game to fit the Kings system. Another first round steal, that almost isn't fair.

30. New Jersey- Nikita Scherbak, LW

There might be a little concern over his passport, but he's the best player on the board. He also has good size and with size 13 skates, some wonder if he'll play at 6'5, 220lbs one day.

Fan 960 flames radio. The comments about Draisiatl were taken out of context burke was saying he's got a big @ss as a compliment to his playing style not as a negative. I went to the season ticket holder meeting(since I have flames season tickets) where the management came out and talked about there plans and answers questions. They really like Draistaitl, Conroy has been really pushing for him. They like how strong he is on the puck. There number 4 pick is narrowed down to Leon, both sams and ekblad. They wont go outside of that at number 4

I see, that's pretty reliable then.

Damn, sucks for us, I guess no chance Draisaitl will fall :(

Here's my top 30 for tommorrows draft.

there will probably be disagreement as some of my rankings arent exactly consensus, but this draft is wide open once you get past like the 10-13 range.

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Bennett

4. Draisaitl

5. Dal Colle

6. Ehlers

7. Nylander

8. Fleury

9. Ritchie

10. Kapanen

11. Virtanen

12. Barbashev