The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Turris and Zib untouchable but Ceci is on his way out? He is their hometown boy that is going to be big for them in the not so distant future...Thought was already announced he was untouchable?

Turris and Zib are contributing to their team. THis year... Now. As would an Edler and Karlsson pair. Ceci is unlikely to make a contribution to the teams success, which is what theyre looking for.... right now. Ottawa really wants to make the post season, and really wants some more offence from the back end and a top end partner for Karlsson. If they feel like Edlers theyre top d pairing target, theyll part with Ceci to make it happen.

WHo knows... maybe they would part with Zib... but as I said, with playoff aspirations, I dont think they want to create any holes with what theyve got, and are likely to present assets in the way of prospects to get a guy around his prime to help them now, and the future. The Canucks are guaranteed to be asking for a young defensman as part of the return package, and the only other guy I see them liking is Cowen, whos also a LEFT handed shot, and a current top 4 contributor.

Just my opinion tho. :)

I actually see Edler to Buffalo. That's the beginnings of a really nice dcore for them moving forward.

Give back Ennis and and a d prospect.... Like Zadarov!

In your wildest dreams. I doubt Buffalo would do Zadarov straight up, he's going to be a stud. That doesn't even take into account Ennis.

I can see how people could rekindle their edler boner after watching the small sample size of him playing with a top partner against inferior competition in the Olympics.

Hes no plug. but you have to give up to get. With Stanton, tanev and Corrado to some extent developing well, I see edler as basically our only legit trade carrot.

Detroit is the perfect trading partner.

They have good young assets that we could use and already have an interest in Edler. I'm betting they would also have quite a bit of interest in Kesler with Zetterberg being out, and Kesler being a hometown boy.

Both would likely waive for Detroit too, with Edler having the Swedish connection and Kesler being from Michigan.

Turris and Zib are contributing to their team. THis year... Now. As would an Edler and Karlsson pair. Ceci is unlikely to make a contribution to the teams success, which is what theyre looking for.... right now. Ottawa really wants to make the post season, and really wants some more offence from the back end and a top end partner for Karlsson. If they feel like Edlers theyre top d pairing target, theyll part with Ceci to make it happen.

WHo knows... maybe they would part with Zib... but as I said, with playoff aspirations, I dont think they want to create any holes with what theyve got, and are likely to present assets in the way of prospects to get a guy around his prime to help them now, and the future. The Canucks are guaranteed to be asking for a young defensman as part of the return package, and the only other guy I see them liking is Cowen, whos also a LEFT handed shot, and a current top 4 contributor.

Just my opinion tho. :)

I doubt they move Zib but Turris is a possibility...We don't need a d nearly as bad for long or short term this year we would have Diaz that has shown he can eat Edlers min with Weber as the 6th and also allows Garrison to move back to the left side...As for long term we have Corrado he next year should be on the roster in my opinion full time while a UFA/Diaz can still slot in the top4

Ottawa has plenty of young center depth and if they want Edler we need a young proven NHL player not just picks/prospects otherwise we look elsewhere...If Rangers are looking they have Brassard that would fit, Philli has B. Schenn and Detroit has quite a few so I don't see that being a problem

Here is what people need to understand.

This core couldn't do it. noe of the most dominant teams statistically speaking in the regular season in NHL history and one of the more dominant in playoff history and they couldn't get it done. Kesler will never surpass 80 points again. never, I am sorry to say. he is a top 6 winger or a 3rd line center. he is NOT both

Edler is a solid D man.

People need to understand very simply put. NO bandaid is going to fix this team. Trade Edler, we need a point getting D man capable of 40+ point seasons AND still need a Puck Moving D man

Trade Kesler we need a #2 center and a top 6 winger as well to play with the Sedins and a 2a/2b winger to take over Keslers spot

This is about the point in time people have to understand that unless Gillis sells the farm getting back Campbell, Letang, Kane, Wheeler, Spezza or the like. This team will become the Flames in 2 seasons or less. Better prospects but not god enough for the playoffs, not bad enough for the lottery win.

Gillis has to bite the bullet. if there is a deal for these 2 guys that nets a 1st round pick in 2014 or 2015 + a blue chip sure fire NHL prospect (possibly++ after their olympic showing) it HAS to be done. I remember what happened after 94. I remember the 80's and late 90's and how bad the team was.

I do NOT want to wallow in mediocrity for 3 seasons before they realize they need to blow it up.

IF we can go ahead and get solid value for Kesler and Edler, we can retool and be ready to play with an uber young team, new players via UFA and have solid mentors and rookies entering our system every single season for the next 4 to 5 seasons.

Next year will see Lain and Horvat/Gaunce/Archibald/Grenier enter the team. Following year Shinkaruk/Gaunce Horvat/Cassels etc. get the idea?

If we can just accept that it will take this and next season to figure it all out then we become comparable to the Blues, Avs, Bolts etc where we went from great to mediocre to bad to top of the heap again in 3 seasons or less.

Is it worth it to draft a Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury this year and have a shot at MacDavid next season before moving forward with a plethora of top prospects and hungry Canadian based rookies?

Or is it more worth it right now to try and sell edler OR Kesler and then figure out how to fill the holes they left AND still try to fill the holes that were already there?

We have more problems with this team than fans and management will admit to. Now is the time to do it

If the worst case is this year a top 10 pick, next year a top 5 pick and the following year either competing or getting a chance at Chycrun (sp?) I take the 2 or 3 season rebuild and then compete with the twins in their last season or 2 and get them a cup before they are 40

Flame away, but you'll be hard pressed to admit that my assessment is wrong.

It's been a while since I've posted here, but warhippy's post is worth replying to.

This about sums it up folks. This core can not simply get it done at a high level anymore. If you think that a few minor moves and a top six winger to compliment Kesler is enough to make us contenders again, your wrong. Alex Edler, for some reason, cannot elevate his game to the next level and his inconsistent play warrants a trade. Maybe he can find his true potential elsewhere but he sure as hell isn't going to do it in a Canuck sweater. He isn't young anymore and he should have become the defenceman we expected him to be 3 years ago. He has good value right now, and will fetch us the greatest return as far as Canuck defenceman go.

People in Vancouver become way too attached to their players, especially the core. If significant moves aren't made soon this team will fall even further into medeocrity and the inevitable will happen. Every trade option should be considered at this point even if it means trading the beloved 'heart and soul' Ryan Kesler. He will fetch us by far the greatest value of one single player on te roster.

As stated before, you gotta give up something to get something.

My stinkin' Adobe isn't working on my Mac - so I cant see Bobby Mac. But the thought of moving Kesler isn't as scary as it was 2 yrs ago. I voiced my concerns about Kes this summer: can he stay healthy, can he drive play anymore?

Thus far, he got injured again during Oly's. And I think he got injured back in Dec and has been playing though it.

He's also 'barely' a positive possession player anymore. Yes, he eats the tough mins. But for a vet, he should have better underlyers. They've been dropping off every yr - that's concerning.

@HarrisonMooney has been tweeting about a 'rumored', repeat 'rumored' deal involving Kesler b4 Olympic freeze. With Pengiuns, involving Kesler >> Sutter, Despres. We know Gillis wanted Sutter in a Hodgons deal 3 years ago. But Sutters underlying #'s have dropped off the face of this planet since then. I would not do that deal - not with Sutter anymore.

For the right price, I don't mind a Kesler or Edler trade. But I really don't trust the current Canucks brain trust to make a good deal. That's really the problem.

They have good young assets that we could use and already have an interest in Edler. I'm betting they would also have quite a bit of interest in Kesler with Zetterberg being out, and Kesler being a hometown boy.

Both would likely waive for Detroit too, with Edler having the Swedish connection and Kesler being from Michigan.

Yeah, but Holland has explicitly stated he won't trade any young talent.

Well i hope MG trades -23 Edler in a hurry because he looked alright in the Olympics but unfortunately i have no doubt he will go back to being the liabilty he usually is in no time and hurt the team down the stretch.

MG made a mistake not trading him a long time ago and from what i have seen from Torts has seen mostly the worst Edler and will want him gone to strengthen the top 6 as well.

Trading a beast like Kesler would be idiotic unless we got a deal MG couldn't refuse.

@HarrisonMooney has been tweeting about a 'rumored', repeat 'rumored' deal involving Kesler b4 Olympic freeze. With Pengiuns, involving Kesler >> Sutter, Despres. We know Gillis wanted Sutter in a Hodgons deal 3 years ago. But Sutters underlying #'s have dropped off the face of this planet since then. I would not do that deal - not with Sutter anymore.

For the right price, I don't mind a Kesler or Edler trade. But I really don't trust the current Canucks brain trust to make a good deal. That's really the problem.

Not sold on Sutter at all. Average player from a weak draft year.

Change Sutter to Bennett and Depres to Pouliot or Harrington and I like it.

Biggest longshot, but imagine the kind of return we would get if we trade both Kesler and Edler to the Wings.

I know they said Tatar, Nyquist and Jurco are untouchables, but 1. exceptions could be made and 2, they have in their system:

Teemu Pulkkinen

Martin Frk

Tyler Bertuzzi

Anthony Mantha (obviously)

Calle Jarnkrok

Riley Sheahan

Mattias Janmark-Nylen

Landon Ferraro

Philippe Hudon

Danny DeKeyser

Ryan Sproul (really wanted to draft this guy)

Xavier Ouellet

A solid boatload here.

Even if we did decide to take on Franzen's term to help Kesler on the wing (which I think he would), different variables coming back would make us a younger team for the future:

to DET: Edler, 3rd/4th

to VAN: Franzen, Jarnkrok, Ouellet

A trade similar to this would make me happy.

Im not so sure kesler is an easy trade anyway. Im sure the kesler chemistry problem is no secret and why would a contending gm risk potential top six chemistry suicide at the trade deadline heading into the playoffs?

Having Kesler behind Crosby in a top 6 that features Malkin, Kunitz, and Neal?

I think Pittsburgh would risk it.

It's been a while since I've posted here, but warhippy's post is worth replying to.

This about sums it up folks. This core can not simply get it done at a high level anymore. If you think that a few minor moves and a top six winger to compliment Kesler is enough to make us contenders again, your wrong. Alex Edler, for some reason, cannot elevate his game to the next level and his inconsistent play warrants a trade. Maybe he can find his true potential elsewhere but he sure as hell isn't going to do it in a Canuck sweater. He isn't young anymore and he should have become the defenceman we expected him to be 3 years ago. He has good value right now, and will fetch us the greatest return as far as Canuck defenceman go.

People in Vancouver become way too attached to their players, especially the core. If significant moves aren't made soon this team will fall even further into medeocrity and the inevitable will happen. Every trade option should be considered at this point even if it means trading the beloved 'heart and soul' Ryan Kesler. He will fetch us by far the greatest value of one single player on te roster.

As stated before, you gotta give up something to get something.

This is the honest to god truth.

Another thing people need to pay close attention to is durability

Edler is one bad move away from permanent back issues. Remember when Sopel missed a playoff game messing his back up picking up a cracker for his kid?

Kesler is injured often as well and I would rather have massive return for him instead of hoping he is durable enough to get us either into the playoffs or survive a playoff series.

This core will not cut it, we need to add to many important and complimentary pieces. i have been a loud voice in trading both of these guys for a while. Luongo as well if needs be. We could conceivably trade 3 players and net a massive return that sets us up for competition and contention for the next decade or longer.

or we can keep smashing our faces against the wall wondering why our current core can't do it, because they came so close 3....4....5....6 seasons ago,

Ya, I was sold on Sutter 2 years ago when Gillis was looking. But last 2 seasons, his underlying #'s get worse each yr. So for a young player that's a MAJOR concern (e.g. Kassians are getting better every yr) and I wouldn't touch him as a centerpiece.

Agree about Pouliot or Harrington, preferably Pouliot.

Kes should garner more than M. Richard did (2nd rounder, LA's #1 top prospect at time -B. Schenn, and Wayne Simmonds.

Kes shoud get 1st rounder, top 3 prospect and a top 6'er IMO.

Also, sidenote: From TBL beat guy:

Erik Erlendsson@erlendssonTBO 11m

Interesting that Vancouver may be shopping Alex Edler, Canucks tried to move him at the draft, and TB was linked to those conversations

Actually, I'd be ok with that trade if it included a draft pick.

Sutter could be a perfect 3rd line centre for us. He's always done the heavy lifting on his teams and he's young enough to rebound from a bad fit in Pittsburgh. Depres is a solid two-way prospect on D (I do also like Pouliot and Harrington) and let's assume we could get Pittsburgh's 1st which will be around the 25-30 range or, at worst, their 2nd which would be 55-60

Then maybe we could move Edler for Turris, if there was any truth to that possibility.

We get younger, quicker, get the 2nd line and 3rd line Centres we need while adding to the prospect pool.

Sedins-Burrows

Higgins-Turris-Kassian

Booth-Sutter-Hansen

Lain-Richardson-Dalpe/Sestitio

Schroeder

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Diaz

Stanton-Bieksa

Depres-Corrado

Then we look into what Lou wants to do in the offseason and see if the dominoes fall.

We would certainly have freed up a bit of cap space and could make a splash in FA. I'm assuming we could get Sutter signed long-term for about 3.5 per.

Archived