The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

i think if anything edler may get moved by deadline. i would say 30% chance. Doubt Kesler gets moved, earliest i could see that is at the draft.

Hansen is a player that would be sought after by teams, could package him with either of the above to get a solid return.

I hope MG tries to make a move, but i sure as hell hope he doesnt move either for scraps.

A couple of nuggets from Mckenzies interview with 1050

McKenzie "I can tell you this, the Canucks are aggressively listening on Kesler and Edler"

McKenzie "if the Canucks can find a C that's 20-25 that is a 1B or 2A in a package for Kesler then they'll move him"

This per hope_smoke on twitter

Johansen please!!!

kesler,edler to phi for b.schenn,l.schenn simmonds

Kesler= schenns: I think Luke Schenn would do well under torts.

Edler= Simmonds

That seemed a little crazy to me a week ago but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe a slight tweak with Luke out for Morin/Hagg and I could see that being a good idea. Or grab Gothisbehere as well and flip him to Florida in a Lou deal, if we're going all in.

Also like Laughton, McGinn and Couturier so there could be lots of moving pieces possible.

That seemed a little crazy to me a week ago but now I'm not so sure.

Maybe a slight tweak with Luke out for Morin/Hagg and I could see that being a good idea. Or grab Gothisbehere as well and flip him to Florida in a Lou deal, if we're going all in.

Also like Laughton, McGinn and Couturier so there could be lots of moving pieces possible.

yes definitely an ability to tweak the deal. Think a deal could be made, let them keep couturier, have some interest in hagg or mcginn. Laughton similar to Horvat?

Apparently 2 metropolitan teams are interested. gotta believe Holmgren is in on the action, he always is

First off, that is such a disgusting term.

Some of ya'll need to grow up and stop acting like that word is ok to throw around. I got 2 daughters man and I will slap the mouth out of any dude who throws that up in the air in front of them

Secondly stop and be objective. We did NOT throw this away. bernier lasted how long in Florida? And did what in vancouver again? exactly nothing but flaoting between the 3rd and 4th lines. Grabner was buried on our depth charts had done NOTHING and Florida frigging waived him as well. So really it was a 1st for Ballard and that first round pick turned into what again? And has done what in the league again?

Ballard came here and for the next 2 seasons in spite of AV Ballard helped this team to 2 of its best seasons ever.

We did not get owned by Florida in either trade once you open your eyes and look at it. We gave up basically a failed prospect in Grabner a tweener bottom 6 guy in Bernier and a 1st round pick that has done exactly less than Jensen has in the league. In the other trade we gave up Sturm and his 3 bad knees, Samuellson and his destroyed abdominal walls for Booth who had all the promise of the player we needed. he just couldn't stay healthy and hasn't panned out and has been buried by both Av and Torts for whatever reasons.

Florida now has players and prospects we can use, we have players Florida can use. Just because they're our go to team to trade with means nothing. If a trade makes sense, it gets done.

Again though, lay of the "got raped" nonsense. That's a disgusting word.

Well said Warhippy. I hate that word too.

yes definitely an ability to tweak the deal. Think a deal could be made, let them keep couturier, have some interest in hagg or mcginn. Laughton similar to Horvat?

Apparently 2 metropolitan teams are interested. gotta believe Holmgren is in on the action, he always is

According to whom?

If so, my guesses are PIT and PHI.

Just to let you all know, I think that Couturier is a sexy beast.

I still think there's way more upside to his offensive game than he's been showing thus far.

Couturier, Horvat and Gaunce are three young centers that would be very hard to play against for a long time (all can play wing too).

Couturier, Raffl (speedy/edgy top-6 winger) and Lauridsen for Kesler and a 6th?

kesler,edler to phi for b.schenn,l.schenn simmonds

Kesler= schenns: I think Luke Schenn would do well under torts.

Edler= Simmonds

Keep sayin it, but I think Bieksa(with Kes) would be mighty enticing for Philly. Schenn can replace Kevin's grit. Love the guy, but 30+ blokes have gotta' make way for youth.

And then we do your plan that involves a long pointless rebuild

Im not saying I hangup on calls for anybody else im saying unless im getting young roster players not just picks/prospects I don't do a damn thing

You know the exact same as me and that is rebuilds don't make owners money so you don't think their going to pull smaller moves to avoid being a pathetic Edmonton/Calgary/Toronto...A few years ago do you think all Ducks fans wanted to blow everything away and rebuild when they came 25th?

Only 1 team can win it all and 14 teams in the league miss the playoffs every year...You don't see 14 teams going full rebuild do you? If you want full rebuilds that show 1st overall years in a row alone will save a franchise look at Edmonton...You need a mix of Vets and Youth to win in the NHL and that is something that we are working on getting...Hansen needs to go, Edler needs to go for long term...The right deal comes up I move Kesler but im not doing picks and prospects that you seem to only want

The difference between the Canucks and the Flames is we have prospects we can bank on. The difference between the canucks and the Oilers is we have some young 20 somethings we can rely on. The difference between the Ducks and the Canucks is that they had cup winning youth, solid depth and a better prospect pool than us when they dropped that low. Added the following year they also had a low finish and drafted cam Fowler for their problems

I am also no saying ANYTHING about a long and slow rebuild. nor is what i am saying pointless. You say a single winger helps this team? ok. kesler now has a winger. But the sedins don't. Edler is gone. Who eats his 20+ minutes a night? don't dare say he's worthless or a liability because the numbers do not back that up. What then, we mortgage the farm to get a replacement for edler as well. Now we have no prospects and are firmly in Calgary land where we are mortgaging the future to remain mediocre now.

We need to accept that this is inevitable as anything we do leaves us weak in other areas and just ends up being a band aid solution for the interim with NO guarantee Kesler stays here in 2 seasons or remains affordable on the downside of an oft injured career. Most ironic thing would be trading edler + for a line mate for Kesler, still needing a linemate for the twins, having a gaping hole on the back end and then watching Kesler take a season ending injury (which lets be honest could happen at anytime with his track record)

That is a fact that is a reality. This core was not good enough in their collective prime to do it, what makes you think selling one area to band aid another will put us over the hump as they're older and no closer to replicating those career years?

Love how people talking about trading Edler and Kesler assume McDavid is going to end up in VAN. Wishfull thinking at it's best.

Kesler won't be traded this year no matter how much the CDC general manager's think he should be.

Take note Warhippy

Take note NUT

I am not saying MacDavid is a sure shot at anything. I have been very vocal about it giving us a much better chance at him or another solid talent of which 2015 and 2016 are chalk full of in comparison to this draft year. You're the ONLY one so far that has assumed trading Kesler and Edler is going to insure us Macdavid, and you're doing it by putting words into other peoples mouths.

Again, if we sell off our two most valuable assets at this seasons trade deadline for picks in this or next years draft, it insures us more youth and solid prospects. Thus giving us a solid youth movement moving forward

if we in turn then trade Luongo for a 2015 pick and prospect, hoping Lack can carry the load with a 1B for the next season or two; it gives us a better chance with a fast rebuild with even more youth in the prospect dept and another pick in 2015 and as Toronto showed us via the Kessel trade. Anything can happen.

Losing these 3 key pieces doesn't guarantee us MacDavid, never said it would. it just gives us a better chance at drafting him. Continuing down that train of though by 2016 our prospects are now journeymen, our draft picks are growing in the AHL together and our 20 somethings are now mentoring our youth movement. If we are still in rebuild mode and are doing terribly we run a chance at a lottery shot with Jakob Chychrun, who is a literal freak of nature on skates at the D position.

Slapping bandaids on a severed limb is a non starter. You have yet to actually point out why this is wrong or why this won't happen let alone why this is a bad idea. 2 drafts in a row where we can have a shot at a franchise defining talent in 2015 and 2016 and you're saying no, let us keep them let us slap yet another band aid on it because this core was great in 2011 ragrblargblargragragrgagr

It doesn't wash Nut. This is a non blinder, no rose colored approach to our teams current status. we can slide into mediocrity while the twins contracts run out. or we can be ready to compete again while they still have some game left in them in 2.5 seasons or less.

Your call

Well said Warhippy. I hate that word too.

Thanks. It irritates me that such a vile act can be smiled about and defended so casually as ok to say or describe something.

I have a wife, I have a mom and I have 2 daughters. I can't ever be ok with that word and I question anyone who can be

Archived