The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Ryan Kesler isn't going anywhere, I can almost guarantee it. If anything, I can definitly see Edler being moved for a player to play with Kesler. Kesler ain't going anywhere.

Yes didn't Gillis just say he's looking for a winger for Kesler.

Getting a little jumpy on the retool/rebuild are we. You deal Kesler between the end of next season and the deadline 15/16 not now.....unless someone knocks your socks off.

Gillis needs to move one of his big contract defenseman first.

You need to consider the context of my post, which is that IF we're going to be trading core players like Kes, Edler...etc, then it better be for nothing less than what was mentioned in the post I originally quoted, which was the chance to draft a number one centre or a true number one D-man stud (which I might add we've never had).

Aim high and go big I say.

Still bad. Trading for this year's draft picks means (most likely) getting players that won't be impact players 2-3 years plus down the road (especially if it is a D man which normally take much longer), and there is NO guarantee such players will even be impact players like you presume. If that weren't enough, I doubt any of this years top 5 draft picks give up such picks for Kesler OR Edler. It's not like they are trying to win now. You're living in a dream world.

IMO the smarter thing to do is if either player is going to be traded, they are traded for prospects 2 years into their development, that can play in the NHL now and play well. That way, the Canucks instantly get younger but still remain competitive now, and allows them the time to develop current prospects like Horvat/Shinkaruk etc. while most likely drafting in the top 15 at this years draft.

If a team wants Edler, they want him as a top 2 D-Man

Olympic Team Sweden had him in their top pairing with Ottawa's Karlsson

He is 27 yrs old just hitting his prime

On a contending team he would be a stud Defenseman

His contract is an extremely cap friendly $5M signed thru 2019

A team needing Edler will have to pay a huge package to get him or no freaking deal

Please do not undervalue Edler,

If a team wants Edler, they want him as a top 2 D-Man

Olympic Team Sweden had him in their top pairing with Ottawa's Karlsson

He is 27 yrs old just hitting his prime

On a contending team he would be a stud Defenseman

His contract is an extremely cap friendly $5M signed thru 2019

A team needing Edler will have to pay a huge package to get him or no freaking deal

Please do not undervalue Edler,

Thank you. I don't know how many times this needs to be said. Unless Edler is traded for what he is worth, he isn't going anywhere.

Posted in Detroit model thread, but applies to this trade rumour thread as well:

I think it should be noted the Detroit hasn't pulled off a major trade since the 1996-1997 season, when they traded Paul Coffey and Primeau for Brendan Shanahan.

That's 17 years of no major trades, folks. Just minor trades and rentals.

If we're supposedly 'following the Detroit model', then why in the hell would even the mention of trading our prime-age, effective players come up?

If Kesler and/or Edler are traded, you can officially forget this 'Detroit model' thing. That event means the players have lost confidence in this franchise altogether. It means that we're just like every other pathetic, cupless in two decades Canadian team that just won't ever properly implement a long term plan, nor have any significant player development, nor bring about a sense that they are indeed a truly elite franchise.

I'm bringing this up again because THIS 'WE'RE ELITE NOW' BS IS WHAT GILLIS AND FAQ HAVE BEEN SELLING US SINCE THEY TOOK OVER!

Yeah? Then where the hell is it?!

/Rant

The problem is we don't have a franchise player to build that kind of dynasty around. Detroit had Listrom.

I sincerely hope the Canucks have a plan to get a franchise player or two to build around post-Sedins. (Lol. Plan.)

Here is what people need to understand.

This core couldn't do it. noe of the most dominant teams statistically speaking in the regular season in NHL history and one of the more dominant in playoff history and they couldn't get it done. Kesler will never surpass 80 points again. never, I am sorry to say. he is a top 6 winger or a 3rd line center. he is NOT both

Edler is a solid D man.

People need to understand very simply put. NO bandaid is going to fix this team. Trade Edler, we need a point getting D man capable of 40+ point seasons AND still need a Puck Moving D man

Trade Kesler we need a #2 center and a top 6 winger as well to play with the Sedins and a 2a/2b winger to take over Keslers spot

This is about the point in time people have to understand that unless Gillis sells the farm getting back Campbell, Letang, Kane, Wheeler, Spezza or the like. This team will become the Flames in 2 seasons or less. Better prospects but not god enough for the playoffs, not bad enough for the lottery win.

Gillis has to bite the bullet. if there is a deal for these 2 guys that nets a 1st round pick in 2014 or 2015 + a blue chip sure fire NHL prospect (possibly++ after their olympic showing) it HAS to be done. I remember what happened after 94. I remember the 80's and late 90's and how bad the team was.

I do NOT want to wallow in mediocrity for 3 seasons before they realize they need to blow it up.

IF we can go ahead and get solid value for Kesler and Edler, we can retool and be ready to play with an uber young team, new players via UFA and have solid mentors and rookies entering our system every single season for the next 4 to 5 seasons.

Next year will see Lain and Horvat/Gaunce/Archibald/Grenier enter the team. Following year Shinkaruk/Gaunce Horvat/Cassels etc. get the idea?

If we can just accept that it will take this and next season to figure it all out then we become comparable to the Blues, Avs, Bolts etc where we went from great to mediocre to bad to top of the heap again in 3 seasons or less.

Is it worth it to draft a Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury this year and have a shot at MacDavid next season before moving forward with a plethora of top prospects and hungry Canadian based rookies?

Or is it more worth it right now to try and sell edler OR Kesler and then figure out how to fill the holes they left AND still try to fill the holes that were already there?

We have more problems with this team than fans and management will admit to. Now is the time to do it

If the worst case is this year a top 10 pick, next year a top 5 pick and the following year either competing or getting a chance at Chycrun (sp?) I take the 2 or 3 season rebuild and then compete with the twins in their last season or 2 and get them a cup before they are 40

Flame away, but you'll be hard pressed to admit that my assessment is wrong.

I just want to re-post this. People seem to be in lust with our core, in love with not trading and down on the value of those available.

Seriously, open your eyes everyone.

Our team is a 3 legged hockey player and people think trading 1 limb will net 2 limbs in return magically.

We need to start now, we need this rebuild. We can be competitive in 3 seasons or less but we have to accept that NOW.

After 94 it took almost 8 years for us to find respectability again. All because we didn't admit it. Now we hear we need to find a winger for Kesler, a center for Kesler. What about a winger for the Sedins still? What about a Puck Moving Defenseman?

We have MUCH bigger issues than some of you will admit to but you STILL want to keep doing the same things saying the same stuff.

Calgary said for about a decade they needed a center for Iginla...and traded him when his value was at its lowest. Wanna run the risk of doing the same with kesler or Edler?

Value is high, higher at the deadline. Find the deal and do it.

Prospects and 1sts. Prospects will help next season, picks will help in 2 and 3. we can have a solid entrance of 2 or 3 prospects a season over the next 3 seasons and the rebuild will be full and complete before the twins are up for extension.

Again, flame away if you want, but you'll be hard pressed to find fault with my logic.

i feel sorry for your daughters having such a pathetically sensitive and self-righteous father.

This is where I lean across the table and break your nose for being such a sissy bud. Don't dare bring my parenting into question. Talk hockey don't DARE bring my kids or parenting into a discussion you pathetic excuse for a human being.

I posted what is common sense and what is the truth from my point of view, my opinion and you....attack both my kids and parenting. All because I feel that the word Rape is disgusting.

You're a joke

Seriously bud. Address the comments, don't bring my family into this. Thats low sad and tragic and speaks volumes about you.

or...is it that you cannot address them because they're right.

Keep it to hockey.

If we wanted Johansen, the time was with Cody or Schnieds, he isn't going anywhere now, total stud.

Yeah, I agree. It would be pretty silly for CBJ to trade him.

But you have to think that if the Canucks offered a player like Kesler for him they would consider it.

A two way player like Kesler has ALOT of value, if we trade him it has to be to the highest bidder giving us back quality young players.

I just want to re-post this. People seem to be in lust with our core, in love with not trading and down on the value of those available.

Seriously, open your eyes everyone.

Our team is a 3 legged hockey player and people think trading 1 limb will net 2 limbs in return magically.

We need to start now, we need this rebuild. We can be competitive in 3 seasons or less but we have to accept that NOW.

After 94 it took almost 8 years for us to find respectability again. All because we didn't admit it. Now we hear we need to find a winger for Kesler, a center for Kesler. What about a winger for the Sedins still? What about a Puck Moving Defenseman?

We have MUCH bigger issues than some of you will admit to but you STILL want to keep doing the same things saying the same stuff.

Calgary said for about a decade they needed a center for Iginla...and traded him when his value was at its lowest. Wanna run the risk of doing the same with kesler or Edler?

Value is high, higher at the deadline. Find the deal and do it.

Prospects and 1sts. Prospects will help next season, picks will help in 2 and 3. we can have a solid entrance of 2 or 3 prospects a season over the next 3 seasons and the rebuild will be full and complete before the twins are up for extension.

Again, flame away if you want, but you'll be hard pressed to find fault with my logic.

The logic here all depends on the actual return. Prospects may or may not pan out. As well as picks. Meanwhile, teams are likely offering up their junk or so-so contracts so they can make room to add Kesler/Edler. They aren't rentals afterall.

Honestly these kinda trades usually happen at the draft, if at all. Most contenders will be after rentals.

It's smart to trade complimentary players for picks/prospects to re-tool. But not core players. And Kesler is definitely a core player. We trade him and we are driving a stake into this team. And I think we're undervaluing Edler here. He's 27 while the rest of our vets are past-peak. He's just as much a part of the core as any of our other defenders. And it's not like we're effectively replacing him with Stanton at this point.

The contracts we should be looking at ditching are the low-value ones. Makes much more sense.

Archived