The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

Word was they wanted Schnieds for Jeff Carter, if you told me that we would end up trading Schnieds anyway and Cody was gonna go........ CBJ prob gives ya a pretty good package for em both. Something like Carter, Johansen and maybe swap 1sts if we add something else decent. Beat LA, win da cup, profit.

Johansen is prob gonna be better than Kes next season, so i really don't see em offering that up. It would be like trying to get Seguin.

The logic here all depends on the actual return. Prospects may or may not pan out. As well as picks. Meanwhile, teams are likely offering up their junk or so-so contracts so they can make room to add Kesler/Edler. They aren't rentals afterall.

Honestly these kinda trades usually happen at the draft, if at all. Most contenders will be after rentals.

It's smart to trade complimentary players for picks/prospects to re-tool. But not core players. And Kesler is definitely a core player. We trade him and we are driving a stake into this team. And I think we're undervaluing Edler here. He's 27 while the rest of our vets are past-peak. He's just as much a part of the core as any of our other defenders. And it's not like we're effectively replacing him with Stanton at this point.

The contracts we should be looking at ditching are the low-value ones. Makes much more sense.

I won't argue with that. but we'd be hard pressed to believe that edler and Kesler in separate trades won't net a pick and prospect at the low end of value respectively.

I concur. I'm no mod, but i think you're overreacting here and are escalating a side-convo needlessly, imho. Keep it to hockey.

Thanks TOML. Time and place and attacks of any nature especially involving kids...especially today on anti-bullying day are never necessary, needed nor tolerated.

I won't argue with that. but we'd be hard pressed to believe that edler and Kesler in separate trades won't net a pick and prospect at the low end of value respectively.
Just difficult to sell a plan to win with the Sedins using prospects that will likely not be able to help in the Sedin window while trading core pieces away.

However, we shouldn't hold onto these guys forever either. So tough call. Too bad we don't have a Giroux to make a Richards/Carter type trade more palatable.

It is not often that players like Kesler and Edler are traded. They are both paid reasonable dollars, have term remaining, and are in their primes. The Canucks would be looking for a package similar to what Philly received when they traded Carter and Richards. Each one of those guys garnered a young NHL player, top prospect (or high first rounder), and another pick.

Three assets. That's got to be the asking price in my opinion. Depending on the quality of the player or prospect, you can vary how high the draft pick is. Detroit seems like a good trade partner, a number of young NHL ready players and some prospects. Detroit is also home for Ryan Kesler...

Only other option is if you find a team that also wants to shuffle the deck and make an asset for asset deal. That is way tougher.

he is NOT the heart and soul of this team .. he's a great player but dont get mixed up .. this guy is not loved in the room ..

I could see Kesler not being loved because he makes nearly everyone else on the ice look lazy...

...even if it happens to be true.

Jeesh Connolly getting overrated much. This guys been jumped in the Tampa depth chart more than Jenna Jamison. Jensen has more goals and is a year younger.

Wouldn't mind getting him but not for Edler....yuck

he scored 31 in the AHL last season, added another 30+ helpers I think.......at age 20. This year he's got 13 and 19 at age 21 over 40 games.......I think he's developing along the lines of what people expected. He's got size and plays a good two way game......add a 1st in there and cap space and I'd say that's a pretty good deal. If he could get better for Edler, great, if not, I like that deal.

some twiiter by harrison mooney, says something like a deal was almost done for kesler for despres and sutter. If that is remotely accurate. We should Fire Gillis now.

That is a horrible return. Not sure if there was a cap dump aswell, dont use twitter, posted on hf though aswell

For what its worth, I don't see Kesler re-signing here.

I also don't see it. To many bad memories. Loses gold against Canada. Misses the cup win after a 2 game series lead, doesn't even medal in another Olympics.

I can see him either trying to price himself out of van or just walking.

some twiiter by harrison mooney, says something like a deal was almost done for kesler for despres and sutter. If that is remotely accurate. We should Fire Gillis now.

That is a horrible return. Not sure if there was a cap dump aswell, dont use twitter, posted on hf though aswell

Agreed that is a terrible trade and I would jope 28 other GM's in the league stood up and started throwing offers at Gillis if he's going to get bargain basement return for Kesler

I also don't see it. To many bad memories. Loses gold against Canada. Misses the cup win after a 2 game series lead, doesn't even medal in another Olympics.

I can see him either trying to price himself out of van or just walking.

He's going to walk to chase a cup. He's not going to be like the Sedins and be comfortable twiddling his thumbs on a rebuild team for the sake of staying here. He wants to win.

He's going to walk to chase a cup. He's not going to be like the Sedins and be comfortable twiddling his thumbs on a rebuild team for the sake of staying here. He wants to win.

I totally agree. I cannot see him wanting to stay here locked behind the aging Sedins still without a playmaker center or winger with any sense of happiness.

We run into the Iginla scenario again at that point where we waited to long to get value and now a package of Despres and Sutter is a sweet deal.

To heck with that, get value while value is there

^^^How would Harrison Mooney know? He's an expert at making Luongo music videos and perhaps using way too many advanced stats in blogs, as well as tweeting nothing impactful every day, but as a 'trade insider?' Nothing shown by him in the past. He probably just took the Team 1040's Pittsburgh speculation ball and ran with it on twitter. It doesn't appear that Pittsburgh has the cap room to make that trade possible anyway.

Brandon Sutter is alright, but doesn't have much upside. If we do aquire Sutter though, we could hold him ransom for the next time we face LA in the playoffs. Although he's just Darryl's nephew. May be expendable. Sorry Brandon.

Depres hasn't made much headway in the NHL despite Pittsburgh needing him very much to do so and Maata took his spot as a 19yr old rook.

They're both upcoming RFA's.

The trade would solidify this franchise as being a complete joke, and it's probably as good as the best actual ones being talked about in Gillis' office.

Archived