The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

I can see the scenario for next year being: the newly acquired 2nd line center struggles, Horvat is our 3rd but they often switch between each other; neither being able to fulfill the 2nd line spot. I predict this because this is how it ALWAYS goes for us and it's just our luck .____. but here's hoping i'm wrong.

We have Horvat we dont need Sutter... we want a young scoring center or a potential number 1 d-man for Kesler. Id add a bit to get Johanson or If we could get Nyquist and Mantha id be happy with that. Philly B.Schenn and a 1st might work. Some of these proposed deals would be bad for the Canucks. You dont trade the top player on your team who you dont even have to trade this season unless we get some young studs.

thats exactly what they are after .. young studs .. i hope they can swing it

I'm coming in late to this thread because, well, because. I have been a huge fan of Kesler since he was drafted. The guy is such a beast, he plays so hard and really knows how to compete at the pro level on a daily basis. Putting aside his rough post Selke season and the terrible ensuing injury that forced him out of the next one, he has demonstrated that he belongs in this lineup without question. Without question.

Having said all of that, as the franchise moves forward there definitely needs to be a bit of a shake up IF the team wants to remain competitive while the Sedins play out their contracts, something that I am confident Gillis assured them of when they signed. If Kesler can net 2 pieces, and I'll use MJDDawgs example for fun, that can hekp us out immediately, then Gillis would be silly not to do it. I would love to have Simmonds here, Couturier? Of course, he has a very nice upside that hopefully he reaches whether it is in Van or not.

The point is the current lineup has been through a devastating season relating to injuries and just plain old snakebitten luck. If Gillis is really not going to be able to draft enough top talent to help the club out now, (#1 pick for example), he needs to make a move that gets ROSTER players back. For the record, I only want to see 1-2 players coming back for Kesler. 3 = too much diluted garbage that expands our already extensive battle for the bottom 6. This club needs top 6 battles for ice time to remain competitive. Keep the quality of the return high by taking back NHL ready talent and less than 3 players. Otherwise, forget it. Keep him.

2 last things quickly:

1 - Since Kesler plays hard crashing shot blocking hockey, and we all love him for that, there will be a time when injuries pile up more so then they already have. This is the time for Gillis to get a great return should he go that route. I'd be happy either way, just as long as we don't load up on 10-15 goal scores and role players as a result.

2 - Philly might really want Kesler, who's to say? But are the really going to want to part with Couturier as part of the package? He has a bright future on that club whether Kesler adds kryptonite or not. I think I would put the deal for he and Simmonds down as good for the Canucks, but is it really worth it for Philly?

Any Philly fans here care to chime in? I already know what Nucks fans who might want Kesler moved would say.

Kadri can't hold Kes's jock strap. If Kes gets traded for Kadri, a 1st and a prospect better be coming with.

LOL touche!

All this hype surrounding a Kesler trade is definitely interesting but I wonder if it is all for nothing? Really hope a team steps up and makes a trade that makes sense ala PHI (Schenn/Courtier + Simmonds) or DET (Nyquist + Tatar).

A trade with PHI would be sweet. I think VAN would be a much better and tougher team with those two.

haven't watched a lot of hockey over the past couple decades i take it?

I have watched a lot of hockey and if I know one thing, it's that Detroit wants to be in the playoffs because if they can get in, they can play spoiler.

When have you ever known Holland to make an irrational trade? Heck, when was the last time he even made a big deadline deal?

He's all of a sudden worried about his job security? I don't think so.

They can still make the playoffs without Zetterberg. This is where their superior coaching and player development come in. They've saved up for this rainy day.

Many people, including Wings fans, thought last year was going to be their first without making the playoffs. But they did. They did.

I don't think good coaching and great player development can make up for losing one of the top 10 two-way players in the NHL. Detroit needs Kesler if they want to make the playoffs this year (and I think they do).

That was supposed to be 'feelings on.' You are very touchy, aren't you?

Sorry. Saw 'theminister' and Nelson Mandela and just assumed it was 'son' on purpose.

I believe that dispassionate views on trades are meant for NHL14 and such. The reality is that players who played their whole careers on one team and have children born there, etc. are far from dispassionate about the prospect of moving elsewhere.

The vast implications of such a trade should not be ignored, not matter what the cold, strategic planning of a trade done on paper only may tell you. Kesler being dealt, no matter the return, means throwing a stick of dynamite into the locker room. But i suppose that just means more trade speculation and blogging about it and making stuff up and such.

Any Philly fans here care to chime in? I already know what Nucks fans who might want Kesler moved would say.

PHI is my favorite team after the Nucks, and judging by the games I've watched and from what I've read, PHI would be better off trading Schenn and keeping Couturier. Schenn is like a poor man's version of Kesler but much younger which bodes well for the Canucks, and Simmonds helps even out the deal with his scoring and grit.

Hard to say though if PHI is game to move 2 very good roster players (34 goals between them) for a possibly injury prone Kesler. Hate to say it but the Canucks MIGHT have to include someone like Hansen to help even out the deal.

That's a very smart idea. Even without Couts and Simmer Philly would still have a strong forward group:

Voracek - Kesler - Giroux

Hartnell - Lecavalier - Read

Raffl - Schenn - Downie

A. Hall - Rinaldo - Rosehill

4th line could use an upgrade though.

Whereas for us, if Kesler gets us that and we still have Edler to trade, watch out.

Isn't Rinaldo on the Rangers?

Sorry. Saw 'theminister' and Nelson Mandela and just assumed it was 'son' on purpose.

I believe that dispassionate views on trades are meant for NHL14 and such. The reality is that players who played their whole careers on one team and have children born there, etc. are far from dispassionate about the prospect of moving elsewhere.

The vast implications of such a trade should not be ignored, not matter what the cold, strategic planning of a trade done on paper only may tell you. Kesler being dealt, no matter the return, means throwing a stick of dynamite into the locker room. But i suppose that just means more trade speculation and blogging about it and making stuff up and such.

No problem. I'm not sure what my username and Mandela have to do with it. I've had the same username for 10 years and have had pictures of MLK for a bit but mostly Dick Cheney ripping his face off to reveal his true reptilian form.

I've never played EA sports video games. Dispassionate views are for those who have seen the merry-go-round enough times to be actual hockey fans instead of just Canuck fans. I'm also a huge WHL watcher and talk about that with as much dispassion. Why? Because I'm a fan of the game. I enjoy watching it unfold.

That's not my point. I hated the Linden deal at the time as well but I've moved on and over the last 15 years I've had that discussion a thousand times and it's pointless to have. I don't care to talk about it again.

In retrospect it was a good hockey move. That's all i was saying because I was making a reference to the type of hockey deal we should make IF we trade Kesler, rather than going all in for a single player.

You're having a different conversation than me.

PHI is my favorite team after the Nucks, and judging by the games I've watched and from what I've read, PHI would be better off trading Schenn and keeping Couturier. Schenn is like a poor man's version of Kesler but much younger which bodes well for the Canucks, and Simmonds helps even out the deal with his scoring and grit.

Hard to say though if PHI is game to move 2 very good roster players (34 goals between them) for a possibly injury prone Kesler. Hate to say it but the Canucks MIGHT have to include someone like Hansen to help even out the deal.

so you think couturier is all around a much better player than B Schenn?

Archived