The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

thats a crap offer, lol

I dont think its a crap offer, as I believe thered be a 1st attached to it, but not so sure this is what the nux want as Sutters role could be redundant in the near future with the potential of a Santorelli, Horvat or Gaunce slipping into that 3C slot full time next season. 24 year old Sutters a good player, but not likely a solid option for a top 6 role on any competitive club.

Pouliot is an absolute stud. Hed QB our PP for years. The 8th overall pick just 2 drafts ago is a cant miss offensive threat with 62 points in 50 games for Portland in the WHL and is a +30. 7 points in 5 games last year at the Memorial Cup, and 5 points in 7 games at this years WJHCs.

Talent Analysis

Pouliot is an exceptionally mobile offensive defenseman with elite vision and puck-distribution. He has a blistering shot from the point, can transition the puck with his head up, and can play a lot of minutes in all situations. He is not a physically imposing presence on the ice, but is extremely strong and not shy from battling for the puck in corners. He possesses a strong, wide base and is difficult to knock off the puck. He is also an explosive skater who is able to quickly rush the puck up ice.

Outside of getting stronger and faster, which is something that practically all prospects need to do, there is little in Pouliot’s game that could be considered a weakness. He will need to continue to improve his defensive play, but his game will always be predicated around creating offensive chances and taking some degree of risk.

The package could be tweaked a bit, but Id be extatic to land Pouliot.... Plus I think that addition just paves the way to move Edler for a young forward. But I think that Sutter's the stumbling block in this deal.

Bennett, Pouliot, 1st

id do Kesler and Hansen for Simmonds & either 1 of Schenn or Couturier.

all three of these guys can play in the top 6

It would be a 29 & 27 year olds for a 25 and 21/22 year olds

Simmonds has a great contract too 4 mill cap hit for 5 more years after this year and he's only 25

preferably Couturier though because he has 2 more years on his ELC

good luck getting two young top 6 forwards with good contracts though

Agreed, but it would help a team with a plethora of youngsters get immediate experience to pepper their lineup with.

Simmonds has a great contract too 4 mill cap hit for 5 more years after this year and he's only 25

No, this is the last year of his ELC. This is his 3rd NHL season. He signed a new 2 year deal starting next year for 1.5 and 2.0 with a 1.75 cap hit.

That would be a tough pill for Philly to swallow giving up on their kids so early but…. Holmgren.

Frankly, I'd rather do a Schenn for Edler straight up (or with another piece coming our way) and look what happens to our line-up first.

I'd prefer to re-evaluate in the offseason if moving Kesler were to also happen.

I don't watch enough of Philly to know what they need so I went to the Flyers forum on HFBoards. Seeing comments by Flyers fans gives us a pretty good idea on what they need. Much like, if someone came to our site, they would see that we need scoring help and a bonafide top 6 player as a priority over everything else. Whats clear to me after reading a few threads is that they are in desperate need of a top pairing D-man who can move the puck.

looks like Edler would be much more sought after than Kesler.

We can probably do an Edler for Simmonds or Couts straight up.

If Kes is traded, I see 4 teams that have the value for Kes and which Kes would be willing to waive to in no particular order:

1.) Columbus. Either basing around Johansen, prospect and a pick or Jenner, Murray and a pick.

2.) Pittsburgh. Has to include Sutter, Maatta and a pick.

3.) Philly. In return get Couturier/B.Schenn/Laughton, Simmonds, 1st.

4.) Detroit being the wildcard. Including Mantha, Tatar, 1st.

Would be pleased with any one and only at a value close to that.

Like these options.

I dont think its a crap offer, as I believe thered be a 1st attached to it, but not so sure this is what the nux want as Sutters role could be redundant in the near future with the potential of a Santorelli, Horvat or Gaunce slipping into that 3C slot full time next season. 24 year old Sutters a good player, but not likely a solid option for a top 6 role on any competitive club.

Pouliot is an absolute stud. Hed QB our PP for years. The 8th overall pick just 2 drafts ago is a cant miss offensive threat with 62 points in 50 games for Portland in the WHL and is a +30. 7 points in 5 games last year at the Memorial Cup, and 5 points in 7 games at this years WJHCs.

Talent Analysis

Pouliot is an exceptionally mobile offensive defenseman with elite vision and puck-distribution. He has a blistering shot from the point, can transition the puck with his head up, and can play a lot of minutes in all situations. He is not a physically imposing presence on the ice, but is extremely strong and not shy from battling for the puck in corners. He possesses a strong, wide base and is difficult to knock off the puck. He is also an explosive skater who is able to quickly rush the puck up ice.

Outside of getting stronger and faster, which is something that practically all prospects need to do, there is little in Pouliot’s game that could be considered a weakness. He will need to continue to improve his defensive play, but his game will always be predicated around creating offensive chances and taking some degree of risk.

The package could be tweaked a bit, but Id be extatic to land Pouliot.... Plus I think that addition just paves the way to move Edler for a young forward. But I think that Sutter's the stumbling block in this deal.

Bennett, Pouliot, 1st

I agree about Pouliot.

But I think the report above is wrong. The rumoured offer was Sutter and Depres…. and I would speculate a pick as well.

If the Canucks came back with Sutter, Pouliot and a 1st I can see it being Pittsburgh balking.

I don't think Bennett will likely be in the conversation from either side.

I agree about Pouliot.

But I think the report above is wrong. The rumoured offer was Sutter and Depres…. and I would speculate a pick as well.

If the Canucks came back with Sutter, Pouliot and a 1st I can see it being Pittsburgh balking.

I don't think Bennett will likely be in the conversation from either side.

holy crappers, here we are talking about schenn+ and Gillis is trying to get Sutter and Pouliot and the 30th overall pick??? excuse me while puke in my mouth. If Gillis screws this up, I pray he gets canned immediately

yea thats the exact same trade i was proposing in my head earlier...lol

i dunno.. I think you really have to factor in the age and production difference.

6 years and 2 months difference.

Kadri with 44 points in 48 games last year.

Kesler with 49 in 77 just 2 years ago.

Kesler is having a decent year... right? Well hes on a 82 game pace for a grand total of 27 goals and 52 points.

Kadri is being considered to be having somewhat of an off year and is on 82 game pace for 22 goals and 60 points.

When you look at what the Canucks have coming down the pipeline and see Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Fox... It looks to me like we could sure use a young top 6 playmaker, as the two way centers and finishers seem to be there,

Anyways, I dont think Kes would waive for the Leafs, nor do I see Gillis again mingling with Nonuts.

thank you 44 points in 48 games is no joke, yes ryan kesler has a selke too but Kadri is a super competitive guy and should outscore kesler in the years to come.

kesler may be a more complete player but Kadri is younger and for that reason alone i'd do Kadri for Kesler especially since you could probably pry a pick out of toronto too

something like

Kesler & 3'rd for Kadri & 1'st

The Canucks would also save 2 million in cap space for next year

that would be a great trade for Vancouver

Getting Couturier also give us the option UFA money

I don't watch enough of Philly to know what they need so I went to the Flyers forum on HFBoards. Seeing comments by Flyers fans gives us a pretty good idea on what they need. Much like, if someone came to our site, they would see that we need scoring help and a bonafide top 6 player as a priority over everything else. Whats clear to me after reading a few threads is that they are in desperate need of a top pairing D-man who can move the puck.

looks like Edler would be much more sought after than Kesler.

We can probably do an Edler for Simmonds or Couts straight up.

I'm pretty confident in that too that's why I suggest Eddie for Schenn.

That way the Canucks get the quality young forward we all want.

D are expensive at the deadline though so I could see us getting another piece as well. Maybe Philly would even include their 1st this year as it is a fairly shallow draft, most top picks are wingers this year, and they will have a middle of the pack selection.

go read hockeysfuture on this guy - projects as a future top 4 puck moving D man and he is 5'11

so we are moving kesler for a guy who is at best a top 4 d man and a career 3C and a 30th overall pick???

Kesler is a gamebreaker, I rather we just go for the best single asset we can get - if this is what the offers are then I would go kesler for strome straight up, that is better than the garbage Pitts is offering

also hard to imagine PHI wouldn't try hard to at least match the offer

go read hockeysfuture on this guy - projects as a future top 4 puck moving D man and he is 5'11

so we are moving kesler for a guy who is at best a top 4 d man and a career 3C and a 30th overall pick???

Kesler is a gamebreaker, I rather we just go for the best single asset we can get - if this is what the offers are then I would go kesler for strome straight up, that is better than the garbage Pitts is offering

also hard to imagine PHI wouldn't try hard to at least match the offer

Philly can instantly beat Pittsburgh's offer by offering a package including Simmonds.

I honestly don't think Pittsburgh is the best team to trade Kesler to. IMO Detroit, Philly, and Columbus are all better options where we would get much better value from.

The 1st rounder should be higher from those teams as well.

Edit: Unless the addition of Kesler really bumps those teams up in the standings.

holy crappers, here we are talking about schenn+ and Gillis is trying to get Sutter and Pouliot and the 30th overall pick??? excuse me while puke in my mouth. If Gillis screws this up, I pray he gets canned immediately

Pouliot in 2 years may have the same value as Schenn league-wide. Sutter would be a good 3rd line centre and another 1st couldn't hurt.

If we can also flip Eddie for Schenn would you be calmer? Then the Canucks have a 2nd and 3rd line centre both with upside, with a top end PMD prospect coming along, Horvat et al. to help on the wings, while not subtracting a winger from out line-up.

I wouldn't be pissed about that at all.

Archived