The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] "Teams eyeing down Kesler & Edler" - Ownership prevented Kesler trade

PHI is my favorite team after the Nucks, and judging by the games I've watched and from what I've read, PHI would be better off trading Schenn and keeping Couturier. Schenn is like a poor man's version of Kesler but much younger which bodes well for the Canucks, and Simmonds helps even out the deal with his scoring and grit.

Hard to say though if PHI is game to move 2 very good roster players (34 goals between them) for a possibly injury prone Kesler. Hate to say it but the Canucks MIGHT have to include someone like Hansen to help even out the deal.

Thanks for the feedback. That's the impression I get too. Every team can't get everything they want in a trade all the time right? If Philly wants to improve from year to year, and of course they do, they need to keep their offensive potential.

Kesler and Hansen >>>><<<< Simmonds and Couturier

That looks roughly fair on paper. Nobody gets shafted. Nobody wins. A hockey trade. Replacing Couts with Schenn though...I haven't seen enough of Schenn last year and this to speak too much about him. One of my buds is a Philly fan and he loves Couturier, also, so do I from his days in the Q and brief AHL stint.

I'm coming in late to this thread because, well, because. I have been a huge fan of Kesler since he was drafted. The guy is such a beast, he plays so hard and really knows how to compete at the pro level on a daily basis. Putting aside his rough post Selke season and the terrible ensuing injury that forced him out of the next one, he has demonstrated that he belongs in this lineup without question. Without question.

Having said all of that, as the franchise moves forward there definitely needs to be a bit of a shake up IF the team wants to remain competitive while the Sedins play out their contracts, something that I am confident Gillis assured them of when they signed. If Kesler can net 2 pieces, and I'll use MJDDawgs example for fun, that can hekp us out immediately, then Gillis would be silly not to do it. I would love to have Simmonds here, Couturier? Of course, he has a very nice upside that hopefully he reaches whether it is in Van or not.

The point is the current lineup has been through a devastating season relating to injuries and just plain old snakebitten luck. If Gillis is really not going to be able to draft enough top talent to help the club out now, (#1 pick for example), he needs to make a move that gets ROSTER players back. For the record, I only want to see 1-2 players coming back for Kesler. 3 = too much diluted garbage that expands our already extensive battle for the bottom 6. This club needs top 6 battles for ice time to remain competitive. Keep the quality of the return high by taking back NHL ready talent and less than 3 players. Otherwise, forget it. Keep him.

2 last things quickly:

1 - Since Kesler plays hard crashing shot blocking hockey, and we all love him for that, there will be a time when injuries pile up more so then they already have. This is the time for Gillis to get a great return should he go that route. I'd be happy either way, just as long as we don't load up on 10-15 goal scores and role players as a result.

2 - Philly might really want Kesler, who's to say? But are the really going to want to part with Couturier as part of the package? He has a bright future on that club whether Kesler adds kryptonite or not. I think I would put the deal for he and Simmonds down as good for the Canucks, but is it really worth it for Philly?

Any Philly fans here care to chime in? I already know what Nucks fans who might want Kesler moved would say.

Im a Philly fan. I would trade Voracek and Couturier for Kesler :P . Seriously though if we had to add to that I would.

To Philly:

Kesler

Edler

To Van:

Voracek

Couturier

1st

Seem Fair?

Im a Philly fan. I would trade Voracek and Couturier for Kesler :P . Seriously though if we had to add to that I would.

To Philly:

Kesler

Edler

To Van:

Voracek

Couturier

1st

Seem Fair?

Value-wise I think it's close if not dead on. But the smart thing to do is trade Kesler and Edler seperately for maximum return as mentioned before.

Value-wise I think it's close if not dead on. But the smart thing to do is trade Kesler and Edler seperately for maximum return as mentioned before.

yeah I agree, I would do that, what is the cap space like for philly?

Both GMs can be happy with that trade, PHI gives up youth, but gets the best player in the deal and a top 2 D man, who will prob be their best d man

If we bring a young C in, like Couturier, where/when does the inevitable Top 6 spot open up for Horvat?

That would be a fantastic problem to have yes? I say let them duke it out for the center slot, winner take all. Loser, if you can call it that, moves to wing. No shame in that, and no shame in having 2 centers on one line. The way I see it there is room for both at this point.

just cause we trade for a guy like couturier doesnt mean we're stuck with him and can't ship him off later to fill another need.

I mean, you're willing to trade our best player for a guy that you think so potentially little of, though?

Samuel Morin was taken by Philly two spots after Horvat last year...could he be the key cog in a trade, which includes this years one, a future one or two, and perhaps a roster player like Simmonds? Kid is 6' 7"...Chara like....

so you think couturier is all around a much better player than B Schenn?

He suits PHI's need for a strong 2 way 3rd line C than Schenn, and is on the 1st year of his EL deal, but with that said both are very good players and PHI fans are very worried about Holmgren trading either. A deal probably never happens, but I would love to see Schenn in a Canucks uniform. Simmonds too

That would be a fantastic problem to have yes? I say let them duke it out for the center slot, winner take all. Loser, if you can call it that, moves to wing. No shame in that, and no shame in having 2 centers on one line. The way I see it there is room for both at this point.

I think you let Horvat stay on wing for the first season anyway, ideally, until he catches up with the pace. Let him take a few face-offs here and there too.

Couturier and he could swap off as 2nd 3rd line centre a few years down the road, depending on their respective development, but it would be nice to try to develop a 3rd line of Horvat-Couturier-Kassian next year until we need to separate them.

Hopefiully we could cobble together a 2nd line out of our remaining pieces and a UFA pick-up.

I mean, you're willing to trade our best player for a guy that you think so potentially little of, though?

Samuel Morin was taken by Philly two spots after Horvat last year...could he be the key cog in a trade, which includes this years one, a future one or two, and perhaps a roster player like Simmonds? Kid is 6' 7"...Chara like....

That, frankly, was a reach pick. Not to say it won't pan out but he'll take a long time to get there so, if he even does, that project will probably take patience. I'm not sure the Canucks can stomach that timeframe under current circumstances. I also think he suits Philly's long term plan/need enough that they hang onto him.

Philly has plenty of forwards so I think they trade from that area of strength if anything.

To Philly:

Kesler

Edler

To Van:

Voracek

Couturier

1st

Seem Fair?

It does seem fair, but I don't see Voracek playing into Torts system all that effectively like Simmonds would. Maybe I have him pegged wrong, I don't want to call him soft, but he is no Wayne. Voracek might slaughter with the Sedins though rendering that last point less meaningful. Although at 24 years old, I am wondering if he has a breakout year in the near future.

There are never guarantees in getting maximum value via trades. Oh how I would love to tap the smart phone Gillis uses and listen in. If you figure the value is dead on, then isn't the return already maximized? I understand what you are saying, but do you think we can get a fair deal for one, and have someone overpay for the other?

That, frankly, was a reach pick. Not to say it won't pan out but he'll take a long time to get there so, if he even does, that project will probably take patience. I'm not sure the Canucks can stomach that timeframe under current circumstances. I also think he suits Philly's long term plan/need enough that they hang onto him.

Philly has plenty of forwards so I think they trade from that area of strength if anything.

Interesting perspective, thanks. I think its obvious that GMMG liked last years draft, and early results surely look pretty promising of the guys playing in the league. Having three #1 guys out of that draft, including two in the top eleven, seems like a GMMG-sorta thing to hang his hat on, ya know?

Archived