The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks e-mail glitch fools 1500 little league kids into thinking they were going to the Heritage Classic

Miss Korea Bob.Loblaw

Considering there are thousands upon thousands of unsold tickets the Canucks could step up to the plate and do the right thing. However, there's a fat chance the slum lord approves of that. They should consider it an investment in the future of their business. Plus, you won't have the embarrassment of empty seats. Demand for this team is failing through the floor and even the kids are now sour. Nice work. This organization is imploding under FA and MG's leadership.

People make mistakes. Why can nobody accept that anymore? Everyone needs compensation for their time, feelings etc. Come on!

So for one moment some kids felt like they were going to hockey only to find out in the next they weren't? Oh the humanity! How will these children ever grow up in such a heinous world where hopes are dashed.

The adults need to grow up and accept that this was an error. I would hazard a guess saying that this wasn't by design. The Canucks most likely didn't want to disappoint a bunch of potential customers but now they have to bend over backwards to make this right.

I make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. It's not like this is a life and death situation. I'm pretty sure that most of the players on these teams aren't going to suffer PTSD from this error. Life will go on. A simple sorry should be enough. It's sad that it isn't anymore.

Facts of life, kids. One day you're 8 years old and your favourite team accidently misleads you in to thinking you've won... fast forward 11 years and you get some girl's number at club; you think you really hit it off, but when you go to call her the next day (and really what are you doing calling the next day? That's desperate.) you find out she gave you a fake number.

I came in here to say exactly this. It wasn't some malevolent scheme to dash the hopes of kids everywhere, it was a mistake. Unfortunate, but nothing more.When I think of the kids, I see temporary dissapointment and a life lesson learned. People are to touchy when it comes to children.

What's the life lesson? Don't get excited when you win something because it might be a scam???

If the Canucks were leaving it at sorry and not doing anything to make it up to these folk I would call it cheesy, but they aren't, they are in fact trying to make it up to them by giving as many tickets away as they can and organizing other functions for them. If people piled on me for my mistakes like some of you are piling on the Canucks, then I would end up turning all Emo.

That guy's sense of entitlement is ridiculous. The Canucks did not "take the tickets away", his team never won it in the first place. It would be good for PR for the Canucks to make good but they really don't have any obligation to. An apology would suffice.

Sounds like this guy wants free tickets to the Heritage Classic more than the kids do.

What a nimrod organization. Aren't there tonnes of tickets left? Get em nosebleeds for crying out loud.

Screwing regular people over for this gargabe product is one thing but messing with kids?

Get it together Canucks. I am embarrassed to be a Canuck right now.

Dont be an idiot. Its a computer glitch. Someone in the tech department maybe messed up, the Canucks themselves have no obligation to make up for anything, and yet they are giving away free tickets to the teams, and thats a LOT of free tickets, as well as having a practice they can sit in on. That is way more than they were originally going to do for one team, so just quit complaining about everything

Someone is getting fired.

And I'm not sure I buy the 'computer glitch' reason. I think it was probably office staff who Control X'd the wrong thing.

My guess was they put an inexperienced person in charge of something they either didn't understand fully or didn't take the time/ attention to detail to do properly before pressing 'Send.'

This, although I won't assume on the firing.. Mistakes happen, bigger ones don't get forgotten

They should honor their mistake, not surprised by what the Canucks organization did though.

Too hard to do that and unrealistic. Probably not enough tickets left or not enough seats together to make it work. And what if there are only seats for 90% of the kids - then you have to tell some of the kids a second time that they can't go. The best thing to do is what the organization already offered. And the kids aren't going to die. Part of life and upbringing is experiencing disappointment - when my young kids experience a setback I explain to them that people make mistakes and sometimes things happen that we don't want.

What's the life lesson? Don't get excited when you win something because it might be a scam???

I don't associate this issue with the word 'scam' because it's nothing of the sort. It was a mistake.

The lesson learned is that mistakes happen and the dissapointment that goes along with them is a part of life. As I said before,it's unfortunate but it's also the way things are.

Edit: Formatting

They're not messing with kids it was a mistake.

Jesus christ the cynicism on this site is off the chart.

Well, actually they kind of are if you know how kids work. You tell a kid they're going somewhere they will be very upset when they don't get to go. They don't understand glitches that well. Point being, if I make the mistake of offering a deal to adults they can be told that obviously a mistake was made. If I made that mistake with regards to kids I would suck it up and make it work for them.

Jan.1st in a stressful meeting room

MG: heritage classic tickets aren't selling I have done everything I could (face palming in office)

Marketer: I heard there was this effective tactic by Naheed Nenshi by marketing to kids that got him into office

MG: What will we get from a bunch of kids (shakes head in disgust)

Marketer: You just don't get it. Those kids have parents who have money to buy tickets.

MG: Wait we can't just market to kids how would they let us in (shakes head thinking marketer should be fired)

Marketer: Get the emails of every kids hockey team you can and we will send them a fake email saying they get free tickets to the heritage classic. The parents will then tell everyone that they got free tickets and right before the game we will tell them it's fake just so they have as much time to spread the word as possible.

MG: Great idea

Archived