The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] via the Score: Penguins made a trade offer for Kesler...

Maata would be great, but at 19 did they bring him in too soon? The Pens aren't exactly a team that allows very few goals against. Take their offense away, he might be an Island. Any trade with the Pens would have to be better than or at least in the same ballpark as the Ryan/Ducks trade.

As expected, the 'updated offer' is horrible.

This is to prepare us for the disappointment of the actual term.

People needs to start comparing returns to the crappy ones that Canadian teams get in scenarios like this, where the star on a great contract playing for a Canadian team just HAS to go to help another American team win a cup.

No matter where he ends up, man, that return is going to suck if it's parallel to all the other returns from the Bettman-era past.

As expected, the 'updated offer' is horrible.

This is to prepare us for the disappointment of the actual term.

People needs to start comparing returns to the crappy ones that Canadian teams get in scenarios like this, where the star on a great contract playing for a Canadian team just HAS to go to help another American team win a cup.

No matter where he ends up, man, that return is going to suck if it's parallel to all the other returns from the Bettman-era past.

Then no trade, easy.

Then no trade, easy.

There's no reason for Gillis to do it, certainly, but that didn't stop K-Lo from dumping his best player. Post-trade there will have to be a pretty good hatchet job by the Canucks on the players' character, or they could simply say nothing 'official' and let the paid media monster do it for them.

If hope Gillis shows some testicular fortitude for the sake of this franchise and doesn't cave in to taking a junk return. Or if he has to do that, then I hope the Canucks are allowed to utilize the 2015/16 drafts to re-stock their pool.

That would be a nice compensation for watching the implosion of the team after Kesler is dealt.

Meanwhile, if Kesler goes, i wish him all the best. He's paid his dues playing for a Canadian franchise for years and years. I hope he'd win a cup soon. I would cheer. And I certainly won't believe ANY of the bs that will be said about him, post-trade, on account that I am not a gullible idiot prepared to buy whatever story is put out there about him, like Pronger sleeping around with some ho-hum reporter chick.

Growing up playing against him, honestly Sutter isn't that good. I'll take the way Santo (at 25) has been playing this year over Sutter.

Kesler is an impact player. Only way canucks can move him is if they get an impact player in return, This team is currently built with 3rd liners, we'd be adding just another piece to a team filled with them, Besided the twins where is our offence supposed to come from? This would be a disaster move for the team, even with a extra first.

My wife's brothers played with Alfredsson in Frölunda and couldn't understand why he was drafted at the time, he was a mediocre player on the team, my wife's brother was captain and leading scorer of their junior team and was never drafted so, who knows right?

As per TSN this is the updated offer

Sutter and Dumoulin are what Pittsburgh got in return for Jordan Staal...those guys worked out so well that they want to trade them again.

If Gillis accepts this, someone should quickly phone Aqualini and get Gillis fired in the spot.

Dumoulin is looking ok bt not a great deal for a bonafide player of Keslers ilk

There's no reason for Gillis to do it, certainly, but that didn't stop K-Lo from dumping his best player. Post-trade there will have to be a pretty good hatchet job by the Canucks on the players' character, or they could simply say nothing 'official' and let the paid media monster do it for them.

If hope Gillis shows some testicular fortitude for the sake of this franchise and doesn't cave in to taking a junk return. Or if he has to do that, then I hope the Canucks are allowed to utilize the 2015/16 drafts to re-stock their pool.

That would be a nice compensation for watching the implosion of the team after Kesler is dealt.

Meanwhile, if Kesler goes, i wish him all the best. He's paid his dues playing for a Canadian franchise for years and years. I hope he'd win a cup soon. I would cheer. And I certainly won't believe ANY of the bs that will be said about him, post-trade, on account that I am not a gullible idiot prepared to buy whatever story is put out there about him, like Pronger sleeping around with some ho-hum reporter chick.

Not sure why we would have to deride a player who we drafted and developed into a Selke player, that would serve no purpose. If the team gets busch league assets for Kesler it will be the biggest trade tragedy that the organization forces fans to swallow. I really don't think I'm exaggerating here either, and I don't think I'm exaggerating by saying some fans would not forgive the move.

Most of us love Kesler, and know what he is worth to this team, and to other teams. Gillis is dealing from a position of strength. All GMs will try to low ball during negotiations, it's just tactics right? I agree with him needing to show fortitude. He need to pull out some big fortitude on this one and slap it around.

I completely agree with your last comment as well. Any team he goes to immediately becomes a fave of mine.

My wife's brothers played with Alfredsson in Frölunda and couldn't understand why he was drafted at the time, he was a mediocre player on the team, my wife's brother was captain and leading scorer of their junior team and was never drafted so, who knows right?

Alfredsson was a very late round pick. A literal diamond in the rough

Last deadline:

Pominville fetched Hackett, Larsson, 1st, 2nd

Erat fetched Filip Forsberg

Marian Gaborik fetched Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore.

Kesler is far more valuable than Erat, Gaborik, or Pominville, and is signed long term at a good cap hit. Yet the offers on the table are similar or even worse if DP is not include.

Unacceptable. No trade unless a team overpays like all teams are forced to do around the deadline. If Gillis trades a high demand fan favorite for a bad return, might as well resign because the majority of the fan base will never let him live that down.

Last deadline:

Pominville fetched Hackett, Larsson, 1st, 2nd

Erat fetched Filip Forsberg

Marian Gaborik fetched Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore.

Kesler is far more valuable than Erat, Gaborik, or Pominville, and is signed long term at a good cap hit. Yet the offers on the table are similar or even worse if DP is not include.

Unacceptable. No trade unless a team overpays like all teams are forced to do around the deadline. If Gillis trades a high demand fan favorite for a bad return, might as well resign because the majority of the fan base will never let him live that down.

That deal still makes me shake my head. The fact that they picked up Forsberg for a disgruntled 31 year old guy that was barely playing was shocking.

Any deal for Kes has to include a top end prospect like Forsberg as a starting point.

Sorry; Kesler in his best day, never mind with 2 years on his contract, is not worth a former league MVP with, what, 8???

:picard:

Obviously pens don't trade Malkin, hence his use in the trade. The Pens have nothing worthwhile to offer. Nothing.

I can't believe Pitts actually offered that, I mean I know its the starting point / low offer but a deal not including one of their top prospects + Bennett/Maata + 1st is pretty awful and doesn't even start up a mutual conversation about whats a reasonable offer.

Gillis should go for 1 of Maata or Bennett + Pouliott + 1st + 3rd / 2nd & Sutter only if its needed to balance the cap.

If Gillis trades his best tradable asset for Sutter + a late first round pick in a weak draft + a 5th or 6th dman (he already has plenty) not only should he be fired, he should be shipped out of the province.

Well if we're using the formula of Young Roster Player, Top Prospect, and a 1st for Kesler, then what else can the pens reasonably offer?

Their only real young forwards are Sutter and Neal, from which it's highly doubtful Neal gets moved. They have young D in Maatta, which is also an unlikely trade. As per prospects, they could move Pouliot, or Harrington from the defence corps and still be deep. Up front they have Beau Bennett who is a very intriguing prospect. The first and rumored 3rd should ideally be from next years draft. Because of this I don't feel there is a deal with Pittsburgh, if the best young forward they have to offer is Sutter.. who's ceiling has been established as a 30 point 3rd line C. Santorelli would have been twice that while healthy.

If the Pens were open to it, they'd have to add in another prospect to balance out the lack of scoring from Sutter. Something like:

Sutter, Bennett, Harrington, 2015 1st rounder, for Kesler and whichever minor league contracts we throw in to stay under contract limit.

Archived