The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Luongo sitting out again because he's in play?

VegasCanuck

1) Lack just got a shutout

2) Luongo probably still has some jet lag

3) Lock er up

Maybe. But Torts' response to Lack playing was that Eddie played great and they are trying to build some momentum so he gets the start. After being replaced at the Olympics and now Lack being seen as the one to build momentum it does raise questions.

As for rest and/or jet lag...that's ridiculous. Lu didn't play for 2 weeks so is rested and most of the Olympians have been playing for 2 days already.

I have this itching idea at the back of my head that Luongo is in play right now for trade and they are doing everything they can to keep it quiet to avoid the same circus that happened last year.

Again, I have not seen anything posted about him specifically, but it would make sense if they are talking to teams about him that they don't want it public in case the talks don't result in an actual trade.

Why I think this?

Luongo's contract isn't the same problem at this deadline that it was last year when every GM was looking at the Cap reducing for 2013/14 and trying to figure out how to get their team under it.

He's been putting up really strong numbers this year and with Lack emerging as a solid NHL goalie, would they be once again trying to move him to another team as part of the overall rework?

Could he still wind up in Florida?

Just a thought!

I echoed this sentiment in one of the other threads a while ago but it looks like most people seem to think that Luongo is still untradeable due to his contract. I think a star goalie at 5.33 cap hit is a bargain. Luongo will be good for the next 4, 5 years without a doubt. I think it's a good deal for any team especially if the cap hit goes up to 75 million dollars in a couple of years as projected. Basically, your star goalie is only eating up 1/15 of the team salary... So, I would love for us to keep Luongo but since he may exercise his exit clause next season, we should quietly start to explore trade options now before it's too late.

If we start exploring trade options only after he requests a trade (by exercising his out-cluase), then we will not get anything near fair value for him.

He's been putting up really strong numbers this year and with Lack emerging as a solid NHL goalie, would they be once again trying to move him to another team as part of the overall rework?

Yeah, Luongo's been trying to put up really strong numbers - but, he's not doing it. Go look up his stats and compare them to the rookies/sophomores who've been his back-ups since the Vancouver Olympics. You'll notice that multiple rookies have come in and completely out-played Luongo. Not by a lot, but we are talking about rookies here. Your starting goalie with the massive, long-term contract should NEVER get out-played by rookie netminders. Let alone getting outplayed for many years straight.

Would you trade for an old goalie who's been outplayed by rookies consistently? What about when he has one of the most expensive contracts in the league?

5 days of jet legged seems like a bit much. Other teams players ahve played a couple games already. Lack played great, but arent you suppose to role with the #1 on the last 21 game push for the playoffs, regardless of what the backup does?

A lot of flaming at the OP for a relatively reasonable piece of speculation (aside from being his/her own source).

If Luo is in fact healthy, shutout or not, Lack is a rookie and a backup -in all likelihood a shutout doesn't buy him the opportunity to run with it - Luo could pretty much be expected to step back in regardless.

I think it's entirely reasonable to think that Luo could be in play. I haven't exactly gotten the impression that he's turned over a new leaf in his desire to remain a Canuck into the twilight years.

His tongue in cheek joke (feeding the Eastern media trolls) about Kesler being stuck here whether he likes it or not... What better timing to ship him out?

Luo to NYI for Nabokov, Brock Nelson and Scott Mayfield.

Get er done MG.

This is pathetic.

Maybe because Lack is coming off a shutout performance against arguably the top team in the west?

Does that not seem like a smart move to you? No, I guess he's getting traded then...... where have I been?

I get where you're coming from, but consider two things:

1) Other players that are coming back from Sochi are not sitting out.

2) Lack getting a shutout has not meant he starts again in the next game, if you look at past examples.

So there's a solid enough case to feel like this is a bit of an odd move. I'm not sure there's anything to it, but who knows. Maybe, just maybe, Luongo is nursing some minor injury and that's why they ran with Price in the Olympics. That's just a total shot in the dark though, and about as valid as speculating about him being traded.

Archived