The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

props apollo.

sad day for folks like yourself, but despite what the idiot media is spinning, this is silver on silver linings.

Luo goes where he wanted. Anyone who loves Luo has to be happy for him. This is obviously wanted.

In the end he was also honoured with a very respectable trade value.

Markstrom and Matthias imo is a solid return, and a statement on the part of Florida that they value him - particularly when the parameters of a trade were relatively narrow and the goaltending market pretty saturated.

I think this also clarifies what has been going on the past few days. The Canucks weren't 'disrespecting' him - they were quietly working to get the desired deal done - and apparently didn't get his hopes up by revealing the negotiations in process. I think most of us could garner from what was taking place that something was in the works - and in the end, it's hard not to be pleased as hell with the resolution for both Luo and the Canucks.

The cherry on top will come when he pushes Thomas out of the net in Florida.

THANK YOU

This definitely forces Pittsburgh to up their offer since Sutter will no longer be of use.

Way to point that out, never thought of that. Smart move by Gillis.

Try to point that out in the Luo trade discussion forum and Kesler Trade rumour fourms. Important info.

COMPLETELY agree.

Yet the whining will continue...

Yeah I mean why should Canuck fans whine when we pay another team 15% of a player's salary to take the best goalie this franchise has ever had and might ever have for the remainder of our life times, especially after trading away a franchise goalie in Schneider after Luongo's contract was deemed unmovable. The contract was a mistake and the mistakes have only compounded from there.

Shawn Matthias sounded extremely pleased to be traded to Vancouver. Mentioned that he has lots of family living here including his brother and hinted towards hoping for a trade to Vancouver a for awhile now.

He also put a lot of the blame for his lack of success on the Florida coaches, which isn't very professional. Not overly surprised he went there as it has got to be tough to play on such a pathetic team for so many years.

Sounds like he is going to giver for us.

I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING! the canucks are going to suck next year. HARD.if kesler amd edler are traded for future and without a true number one goalie we might finish bottom 4. BOTTOM 4 = LOTTERY PICK. 2015 1ST overall = CONNOR MAC "DADDY" DAVID.

could you imagine

I felt bad when I read lou got traded...great goalie but had an extremely soft defence group in front of him and teams kept exploiting that.

I dont see how we got better here. We need an elite guy or 2 to mentor.the youth or more youth. We also have a defensive minded coach so why not have defensive minded defencemen in front of an elite goalie to give the youth a little breathing room for when they make the occasional mistake?

Lack and markstrom will now be under the microscope, matthias is a weak 2nd liner or above avg 3rd liner, and their combined salaries are about the same as what we paid lou.

I felt bad when I read lou got traded...great goalie but had an extremely soft defence group in front of him and teams kept exploiting that.

I dont see how we got better here. We need an elite guy or 2 to mentor.the youth or more youth. We also have a defensive minded coach so why not have defensive minded defencemen in front of an elite goalie to give the youth a little breathing room for when they make the occasional mistake?

Lack and markstrom will now be under the microscope, matthias is a weak 2nd liner or above avg 3rd liner, and their combined salaries are about the same as what we paid lou.

I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING! the canucks are going to suck next year. HARD.if kesler amd edler are traded for future and without a true number one goalie we might finish bottom 4. BOTTOM 4 = LOTTERY PICK. 2015 1ST overall = CONNOR MAC "DADDY" DAVID.

could you imagine

There is absolutely no chance the Canucks get a lottery pick with Daniel, Henrik, and Hamhuis.

Can you smell that? It's the fresh air that this trade has breathed into the team. Gone is the stale stench of a few seasons of goalie controversies. If you are a tried and true Luongo fan, this is sad news but I have no loyalties to any one particular player so this trade pleases me. Hopefully by tomorrow, the new odour that eminates from Kesler's locker will be gone too. It's spring cleaning starting early!

could you imagine

lol

it would be like Burke getting the twins all over again. Exception....McDavid skates a little better.

could you imagine

I love how crazy the leaps this trade makes us think of are. On the flipside. Minnesota was leading the Martin Brodeur sweepstakes but then they settled for Bryzgalov instead. This all went down before Luongo was traded.

What's the one thing Marty hasn't done in his career? Play for a Canadian NHL team.

I am just shocked by the people defending gillis .. We traded two elite goalies for some young guys who MIGHT be good nhlers one day .. i know its just sports but I'm and as hell . what did we do to deserve this joke of a gm .. its almost humorous ..

Just wanted to point out some things about Matthias.

Only Goc has lower ozone starts among Panthers regulars.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=63&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f5=FLA&f7=5-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

Given that, I think his corsi is quite respectable (18th) in that context.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=30&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f5=FLA&f7=5-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

-2.52 is negligible considering 42.9% ozone starts and 48.1 finishes. His quality of competition is pretty much balanced by the quality of his linemates imo.

His 9 goals is not bad either, given his situational play, and the fact that the premier opportunities are eaten by the bluechip centers all over the place in Florida. Goc also pretty much commands the prime 3C minutes - and is one of the best bang for the buck bargains in the NHL. So, you might say that like Santorelli, there wasn't a great deal of opportunity in Florida, and let's hope he makes the most of this move.

Matthias is +13 in takeaways (21 takeaways, only 8 giveaways) - protects the puck well and pretty impressive puck hound numbers for a guy who gets 12 minutes a game.

He also throws 6.1 hits / 60 minutes, putting him in the range of Andrew Ladd, Dwight King and Iginla.

He's not the strongest faceoff guy at a career 45.7% (and 38.3% this season) - but otherwise has played solid two way hockey in Florida, with some flashes of impressive production when the opportunity presented itself.

Could make a strong two way tweener winger and always nice to have a pair of centers on any line. Skates well for a guy who is 220lbs. Who knows what he'd be capable of with linemates like Higgins and Hansen, or Kassian.

At 1.7 I think his cap hit is very reasonable and the prospect of re-signing him at a reasonable price pretty good.

Couldn't have expected more of a secondary piece in a deal imo.

There is absolutely no chance the Canucks get a lottery pick with Daniel, Henrik, and Hamhuis.

the twins haven't done much all year. what makes you think they will turn it around next year. especially if edler amd kesler are traded? did gillis trade for an ikea time machine?

to put it in perspective if you add hank and danks point total this year... it equals crosbys.

hammer is a gem too. but again cant do it on his own.

I am just shocked by the people defending gillis .. We traded two elite goalies for some young guys who MIGHT be good nhlers one day .. i know its just sports but I'm and as hell . what did we do to deserve this joke of a gm .. its almost humorous ..

Schneider hasn't won anything at the Nhl level

Luongo hasn't won anything at the Nhl level

watch how you use that Elite title

Archived