The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

Had some good saves for Florida tonight.

The announcers sure talk about him like he is their savior seem really excited to have him back.

Fans definitely haven't forgotten him lots of Luuu chants.

Shutout good for him.

Good for Luo. As low class as some of his tweeting in the last 24 hrs was, I'm pleased to see both him and Florida get a big win to start his new tenure there.

A shutout vs Buffalo, though - that's not exactly bound to be the last word on the matter.

Jamie McBain, Mike Weber, Ehrhoff, Hodgson, Tallinder, Stafford, Leino, Konopka, D'Agostini, Scott, Ellis, Deslauriers, Sulzer, Myers, Ennis, Flynn, Adam, Foligno.

Unfortunately, that's about as terrible a post rebuild lineup as there's been in the NHL for quite some time. Buffalo couldn't generate anything before they traded away Moulson, Ott (and MIller). Florida, who moved some players themselves, outshot Buffalo 44-25.

Anyway, Luo being Luo:

"I was not expecting to get traded, especially at the deadline, so uh, I really had started to get back in the groove of things in Van and started settling in there, and wouldn't you know it, when you least expect it something happens, so it's the first time in my career I got traded during the season."

Is it just me or does this sound like a bit of a revised sob story.

I mean come on, Luo, you'd just been kept out of the Winter Classic, made no bones about the fact you were exceedingly disappointed, the whole Luo's been so mistreated story was back in full swing, and you were joking to the effect that you (and Kesler) were essentially trapped in Vancouver, and that

"We all know how this script ends".

Apparently not.

Perhaps just a single prop to the guy who ironically gave you exactly what you wanted at pretty much the first opportunity it became an actual realistic possibility.

I really want to remain a Luongo fan - and I consider the Panthers somewhat of a brother organization with a great deal of talent in the works. I think they have a bright future, and wanted Luo to get what he wanted all throughout the extended ordeal, but it's probably time for the "poor me" storyline to end.

Hope he does well but have to be fair its a depleted buffalo team he shut out.

I figure his numbers will be okay as he is in the east and not facing sj, ana, chi & stl on a weekly basis etc

Regardless hope he does well and enjoys being out of the vancouver market

I like the Panthers - it's an odd place for a hockey market, but they've certainly grown on me over the years.

I like Dale Tallon (originally a Canuck as well), I like the youth they have in their system, I like the Canucks who are former Panthers - Higgins, Garrison and Santorelli are some steals - and Luo brought years of great backstopping. I like the Canucks who went to Florida - Bure and Jovo needless to say played some great hockey in Vancouver. Allen, Auld, Hedican, Krajicek, Gagner....

I'm thrilled to have Markstrom and Matthias in the organization.

I'm glad this deal was done - it seemed the natural conclusion - in the cards - all along. I hope it works out well for all parties.

I wish (and believe) that his return 'home' will increase the attendance for the games in Florida. If they can sign 1-2 significant pieces in the summer, it will actually be very interesting to watch how they perform next year with Barkov back and more mature, Huberdeau & co... I'm really happy for both Luongo and the Panthers organization for this move.

Here is why.

GP. W. L. OT. G. S. SV. SV%. GAA

REGULAR SEASON 12 1 6 3 36 285 249 .874 3. 52

In reference to above, I'm pretty sure Dale Tallon wasn't too worried about negotiations with these numbers.

You can make all the excuses you want about those numbers but Thomas and Clemenson still put vastly superior numbers and there stats aren't great.

1 win in 12 games and only stoping 87% of his shots. He ranks about 77th in NHL goalies this year.

I think the high prospect tag is probably gone.

Cory Schnieder struggled at his age when he was first thrust into a stint of NHL action. Luongo suffered a groin injury. 12 games isn't enough to determine anything for him.

Yes Deb. I'm a fan. I've been a fan since I can remember watching in the early 80s. Probably much like yourself. But what I am not, is a fan of any one individual player. I have a nameless jersey on purpose that I wear often, sometimes not on gamedays and even to work during the playoff gamedays when they relax the dress code. I also own a poorly fitting skate and puck jersey that I wore proudly in the 90s. I wear Canuck T-shirts and hats on days after the losses while others hide their's in the closet. I am not afraid to be a fan even through the bad times. What troubles me the most is when the players put their own interests above the success of the team. I don't like the coach, I don't like our fans, I want more money, I don't like my ice time, etc, etc. If I could have one thing, it's to have players who truly want to be here...like the Sedins and like Linden, Naslund and Smyl before them.

OK, fair enough...thanks for answering and I respect this opinion.

Yes Deb. I'm a fan. I've been a fan since I can remember watching in the early 80s. Probably much like yourself. But what I am not, is a fan of any one individual player. I have a nameless jersey on purpose that I wear often, sometimes not on gamedays and even to work during the playoff gamedays when they relax the dress code. I also own a poorly fitting skate and puck jersey that I wore proudly in the 90s. I wear Canuck T-shirts and hats on days after the losses while others hide their's in the closet. I am not afraid to be a fan even through the bad times. What troubles me the most is when the players put their own interests above the success of the team. I don't like the coach, I don't like our fans, I want more money, I don't like my ice time, etc, etc. If I could have one thing, it's to have players who truly want to be here...like the Sedins and like Linden, Naslund and Smyl before them.

well said

can't believe how many people around here put players before the organization

I'm going to miss Luongo. He's a class act. Obviously had a big effect on Schneids and Lack. Both seem to love the guy. The return for this trade sucked, in that when you are a team that can't score at all, getting a bad goalie prospect back instead of a decent forward prospect is a killer. We did NOT need yet another third line center..we have plenty of those.

Looking forward to three things:

1. Gillis getting fired

2. Torts getting fired

3. Oldnews finally shutting up

Sadly, two of these aren't likely to happen anytime soon.

Archived