The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kesler is still a Canuck

Derp...

Ownership isn't firing Gillis if they're the puppetmasters, only when they screw up so bad that the fans hit them where it hurts, their wallet, and they need someone to take the fall.

Yep, exactly. He takes the heat while they make the decisions. Seems to be.

Actually

We traded Schneider and Luongo, a solid depth defenceman and an AHLer for

A first round pick #9 overall, a 4th line center with possible 3rd line potential (UFA next season) a goalie prospect who is miles away from where the hype had him placed even last year. And a late 5th round pick.

This is how Calgary did it from 2005 through 2011. Get ready for a few seasons of 9th through 13th place finishes in the west. not good enough for the playoffs, not nearly bad enough for the lottery

Matthias was playing on the 3rd line with Florida, and is NOT a UFA. Diaz IS a UFA so we got a 5th round pick for nothing (and could sign him back if they really wanted). Markstrom is still a highly touted goalie prospect, has been playing very well in the AHL, and will do well under Rollie Mellansons tutelage (and was Lacks friend and team mate in the SEL)

Horvat has been playing lights out in the OHL and will make the team next year.

Moving Lunogo was a move to clear space and move on from the drama. There was never going to be a lot offered to him with that contract, thats just the facts. Both Gillis and Luongo are to blame for that contract.

I for one am glad its over. I wish we could have moved Kesler at the deadline, but Im guessing the offers just werent good enough. I certainly hope that Aquillini didnt nix a potential trade that could have netted us some young talent and prospects.

Whatever the case, Kesler will still have plenty of value at the draft with more teams bidding for his services and the Cap going up substantially.

Farhan Lalji@FarhanLaljiTSN 1m

Gillis said ownership was involved in all discussions but did not turn down any deals that he wanted to make re Kesler. #canucks

yeah sure get some balls Gillis, just resign and stop protecting your master

what do you expect him to say

Ownership screwed me over i had a great trade and they said no because they still believe Canucks can still make the playoffs

until it happens you have nothing to back it up again the stance on rentals is they will not trade for them so until horvat or another top prospect gets traded there is nothing to back it up

also it's only been draft picks that this team has given up for rentals for the most part with Gillis here so other than Hodgson Schneider and Grabner he hasn't sacrificed the Canucks youth

The 1st we gave to FL for Ballard and the two 2nd we gave to Dallas for Roy count. Our pool would be much stronger if we had kept those picks.

Mike Gillis reporting from the golf course.

Managers who truly care about improving their business usually don't do it from the golf course.

Insert joke about Mike Gillis and Handicap here

Well Arizona is a gulf corse.

Fail is not realizing that if we are indeed shopping Kesler we'd get way more for him at the draft when's there's more than just 2-3 contending teams biddin on him.

How people don't see this? It's mind blowing

What I do see is that instead of being able to help another team for 3 playoff runs, he can only help them with 2. This diminishes his trade value. What will happen from now to the draft that will raise Kesler's value so much that CDC gets the magic blockbuster trade they were getting a raging boner about. Look at the Mike Richards trade. Schenn (high end blue chipper), a measly 2nd round pick and a throw in Wayne Simmonds that HAPPENED to work out. Why would Kesler remotely get a 1st,a high end blue chipper, AND a young talented forward between 21-25? MG asked too much again. That's why he wasn't traded and don't expect to get your socks blown off around draft day either.

Farhan Lalji@FarhanLaljiTSN 1m

Gillis said ownership was involved in all discussions but did not turn down any deals that he wanted to make re Kesler. #canucks

yeah sure get some balls Gillis, just resign and stop protecting your master

So there WERE deals that he wanted to make...

-A new goaltender going through a brutal learning curve

-A wimpering, weak offence

-A shaky d-core that is not stable at all and has issues scoring

-A bolstered, tough division who does nothing but look down on the Canucks now

Things are looking rough for this team. Not Calgary rough, but its heading there.

Reports from 1040 say Gillis and Aquaman were at crossroads when it came to moving Kesler.

If true then this is a serious matter. An owner preventing our GM from making rebuild/retooling moves is really bad.

So this means Gillis is likely gone then. I actually agree with that. If the owner wants a new GM to head up a rebuild/retool, then just straight up block Gillis from dealing away core players. I wonder if Gillis called LaFontaine for advice after the deal was blocked.

Archived