The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

30 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

if Markstrom stays 4 years, does that signal a Demko trade?

Not necessarily.

Could sign Marky for 4+/- years with a high, post-ED salary that makes him unattractive for SEA and protect Demko in the draft. Then (assuming we retain both after the ED) we have the opportunity to move Marky in year 2 or 3 of the deal when/if Demko's ready to take over.

Or conversely, Marky gets taken by SEA, freeing salary and the starting job for Demko even with extending him.

That said, if we do extend him, we could also theoretically move Demko this summer to fill other holes, sign a backup for Marky in the offseason and keep on trucking for the next 4 years and worry about replacing Marky with MDP, Silovs (or other) down the line.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Feel like this will be the outcome. I don't agree with it, because Demko, in my opinion will be the better goaltender in the future (imo). 

Markstrom is entering his 30's. It's a risk with players on the wrong side of 30. Will Markstrom be durable moving forward? Does he play at an elite level the years after this? 

Has marky has any serious injuries?

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not necessarily.

Could sign Marky for 4+/- years with a high, post-ED salary that makes him unattractive for SEA and protect Demko in the draft. Then (assuming we retain both after the ED) we have the opportunity to move Marky in year 2 or 3 of the deal when/if Demko's ready to take over.

Or conversely, Marky gets taken by SEA, freeing salary and the starting job for Demko even with extending him.

That said, if we do extend him, we could also theoretically move Demko this summer to fill other holes, sign a backup for Marky in the offseason and keep on trucking for the next 4 years and worry about replacing Marky with MDP, Silovs (or other) down the line.

I guess so. 

My bias coming in with our players. I like Demko, feel like Seattle would take him if he was the one exposed. 

Jarry has better numbers than Demko, is the same age, and has played in more games so far this season. I don't know much about Jarry or Murray (felt like he hasn't been playing well for a while now), but which other goalies would be about the same age as Demko, is proving himself in the league, besides Jarry. I feel like because Murray hasn't played well, Pitts is going to expose him in the ED. 

We could only expose Markstrom if that's within the contractual rights, correct? 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I guess so. 

My bias coming in with our players. I like Demko, feel like Seattle would take him if he was the one exposed. 

Jarry has better numbers than Demko, is the same age, and has played in more games so far this season. I don't know much about Jarry or Murray (felt like he hasn't been playing well for a while now), but which other goalies would be about the same age as Demko, is proving himself in the league, besides Jarry. I feel like because Murray hasn't played well, Pitts is going to expose him in the ED. 

We could only expose Markstrom if that's within the contractual rights, correct? 

If Marky signs a 1 year contract, I’d love him even more than I do now.

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I guess so. 

Whether we re-sign Marky or not, I think there's very little risk we expose Demko ;)

3 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

With Holtby Samsonov and Murray Jarri and Fleury Subban exposed I doubt they take a goalie from us anyways.

People keep saying that but there's no guarantee that those guys will in fact be exposed, what their health will be, what their contracts look like, who else their respective teams might be exposing, what other side deals their teams might make to protect them etc, etc.

Hence, there's zero certainty that any of them will actually be 'better' targets for SEA than whichever goalie we expose (assuming both are still here). People really need to stop declaring that as fact.

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

With Holtby Samsonov and Murray Jarri and Fleury Subban exposed I doubt they take a goalie from us anyways.

Don't think Samsonov will be exposed. 22 year old goalie? I doubt it. 

Holtby, depending on his contract status, i can see him being exposed? depends on where he ends up with, before the ED. isn't he a UFA this summer?

I can see Subban being exposed. Fleury, I see Vegas protecting. 

Between Jarry and Murray. I think Murray is exposed. He hasn't had a good season, Jarry is younger, and has better numbers. 

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Don't think Samsonov will be exposed. 22 year old goalie? I doubt it. 

Holtby, depending on his contract status, i can see him being exposed? depends on where he ends up with, before the ED. isn't he a UFA this summer?

I can see Subban being exposed. Fleury, I see Vegas protecting. 

Between Jarry and Murray. I think Murray is exposed. He hasn't had a good season, Jarry is younger, and has better numbers. 

Fleury has looked decidedly more human this year and is 35 now, let alone at the ED. 

Don't see them protecting him.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

You think they'll protect Subban? Has he played well? 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Fleury has looked decidedly more human this year and is 35 now, let alone at the ED. 

Don't see them protecting him.

Is vegas not exempt from the seattle ED?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

People keep saying that but there's no guarantee that those guys will in fact be exposed, what their health will be, what their contracts look like, who else their respective teams might be exposing, what other side deals their teams might make to protect them etc, etc.

Hence, there's zero certainty that any of them will actually be 'better' targets for SEA than whichever goalie we expose (assuming both are still here). People really need to stop declaring that as fact.

Huh? I forgot VGK is exempt, but the Canucks are more likely to lose one of Pearson, Leivo, Myers, Stretcher, Roussel, Ferland in my opinion.

I think there's more people saying its a fact that we will lose a goalie

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Feel like this will be the outcome. I don't agree with it, because Demko, in my opinion will be the better goaltender in the future (imo). 

Markstrom is entering his 30's. It's a risk with players on the wrong side of 30. Will Markstrom be durable moving forward? Does he play at an elite level the years after this? 

No offence but I don't think you know what you are talking about when it comes to age and goalies. There have been many examples of very good NHL goalies in their late 30s. The best are 25-35 years old. That would give Marky another top 5 years.

Article: https://ingoalmag.com/analysis/goaltenders-aging-and-the-nhl/

Plus the Canucks have another year and a bit to keep the better of Marky or Demko. 

JB can keep the better goalie, the better proven goalie, 1.5 years from now.  Nothing I would worry about personally.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Huh? I forgot VGK is exempt, but the Canucks are more likely to lose one of Pearson, Leivo, Myers, Stretcher, Roussel, Ferland in my opinion.

I think there's more people saying its a fact that we will lose a goalie

I think a goalie is fairly more likely, but not guaranteed. My takes on the guys you listed:

Pearson: Too expensive, no one will want him

Leivo: Might be a good choice, but not a certain thing yet (needs more long-term production)

Myers: Too expensive

Stecher: May be taken, but might also not be re-signed with Vancouver after this off season

Roussel: Very possible

Ferland: Might be too expensive given injury concerns

I think some of those guys may be taken, but if I were Vegas, I'd take Demko/Markstrom over all of them.

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It has to, what's the alternative at that point? And how does Demko see things? 

IF Markstrom signs for 3 years, that still leaves us with the problem of trying to protect Demko from the expansion draft. 

I have the funny feeling we're going to lose him. 

A friend of mine though, says Pitts is in the same boat. They have both Murray and Jarry (Tristan Jarry is the same age as Demko, has better numbers than he does). 

I think that some (not saying you, nazzy) are jumping the gun on losing either one of Markstrom or Demko in the upcoming expansion draft.  There's lots of backups in the NHL right now that could very well have a shot at being a starter (e.g., Campbell, Allen come to mind), while there is a bunch of young prospects/upstarts that could conceivably jump ahead of Demko if the Canucks were to protect Markstrom.  It would be a risk to keep one or the other unprotected.  I think the bigger question is the first one you posed...does Demko want to continue to be a back up to Markstrom, because that's sort of where I think we're headed.