The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

1 minute ago, kylecanuck said:

Ok, so maybe I'm hoping Myers is taken in the draft.. he is a big, good defensive player which may have some eye candy attached to him. I do agree he isn't worth his contract at all though, and it isn't going to be getting much better going forward. Let's go Seattle draft!

Seattle will also need to be over the cap minimum so they are going to have to take a few contracts with some $. If I was Seattle it wouldn’t be a bad pick. However there’s a couple other player if not protected I’d take before Myers 

Couple notes about Markstrom.

I Can’t remember the last time he was injured. Demko, I want to be out starter in a couple years but concussions scare the crap out of me

Markstrom is basically hitting his stride over the last couple years. He’s a late bloomer even for a goalie. Late bloomers seem to play at a high level even into their 30’s. It’s also not uncommon for a Goalie to have his best years 30-35 years old. He’s gotta be signed imo.

There’s no talk of playoffs without him this year. I Just hope the contract has the right clauses and term. I’d like to see 4 years, with some no trade. Benning seems to do his best work on players he already has. I’d be more worried if we were talking about signing a UFA we didn’t already have 

On 2/14/2020 at 1:10 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't see how they can let Markstrom go.

Knowing what we know now, removing him & adding a 1B to play with Demko (say Khudobin, just to throw a name out) puts this team outside the playoffs next year pretty easily. Demko is unproven.

There are cap complications with Markstrom that are the first hurdle. But if you can get him signed to something that can work, I don't see how you don't do it. Then the option is try & trade Demko (probably for a lesser return), allow him to be taken, or try and make a trade to also protect Demko. 

Its a tough situation, I think we've long seen Demko as the starter of the future, but who knows if he'll ever be an 'elite' goalie or even top 10/15 starter like Markstrom is now.

This sums it up nicely. It's tough. That's why I think we'll have to wait until the end of the year on the Markstrom contract, and then see what direction we'll take. Even if we play him the same way we did this year and expose him that would mean we get to keep one of either Demko or Lind and not give any other assets away to Seattle.

I think this is the route we'll take. Why mess with solid goaltending just to chase what would likely amount to a mid 2nd round pick? Unless Benning can get something solid back for Demko, but that is a complete unknown.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not really worried about losing the goalies during expansion. If Seattle is going to follow the Vegas model then it wouldn't be too hard for Benning to swing a deal where Demko can also be protected. That being said, I would honestly have to think about giving Demko the Schneider treatment during the off season since Markstrom gets signed for 4, enough for Dipietro to move in.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, smokes said:

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not really worried about losing the goalies during expansion. If Seattle is going to follow the Vegas model then it wouldn't be too hard for Benning to swing a deal where Demko can also be protected. That being said, I would honestly have to think about giving Demko the Schneider treatment during the off season since Markstrom gets signed for 4, enough for Dipietro to move in.

As much as I like Demko, the Canucks are going to lose someone we like in the expansion draft.  Might as well lose someone like Demko when we have a logical guy that should be able to step in right away in Dipietro.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Demko is traded at the coming draft.  

Love it.

Hopefully for a 1st in 2020.

Just for fun...
Anyone could trade their #1 pick in the next draft.

However, let’s narrow it down a bit.

Teams currently not making the playoffs, Detroit, L.A., Ottawa, New Jersey, Anaheim, San Jose, Chicago, Buffalo, Montreal, Minnesota, Nashville, Winnipeg, the Rangers, Florida and Carolina.

I believe Demko has the potential to be a heck of a goaltender. I wouldn’t want Demko in the West. Or at least in the Pacific. So that cancels L.A. (2OA20), Anaheim (6OA20) and San Jose, which don’t have a pick in the 2020 draft.

However, seeing that L.A.’s Quick is 34 years old and seems to have lost a major step this year, if L.A. wants Demko for the 2OA20, do you pull the trigger? How about Anaheim? Gibson is 26 years old and may just be having an off year. But Miller is now a 39 year old backup. If the Ducks call for a Demko/ 6OA20 swap, does the high pick outweigh having Demko in the Pacific?

Chicago seems to have different problems than in net.

In Minnesota it is a game of patience as 33year old Dubnik is having an off year and Sadlock is 32 years old and Kahkonen isn’t fully ready but looks to be their future.

In Nashville, Rinne is 37 years old and his numbers reflect his age with a 3.11/.895. Saros is only 24 years old and in his fifth season with the Preds and looks to take over a declining Rinne.

Winnipeg is Hellebuyck land. They’re fine.

Looking to the East, the current non-playoff teams that could be potential trade partners would be Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey, Buffalo, Montreal, the Rangers, Florida and Carolina. 

Detroit holds the 1OA20 and are in need of pretty much everything a hockey team requires. Howard is 35 and in decline and Bernier is an alright 1B goaltender. But for the 1OA20? Extremely doubtful.

Ottawa has Anderson who is under .900 sv% and over 3.200 GAA. Nilsson is injured and Hogberg’s numbers are inconsistent.

In Buffalo, Hutton is 34 years old, also with underwhelming numbers; 3.16/.896. Johansson’s numbers are 2.78/.889 but he’s 24years old so there’s room for growth there. Ullmark looks to run the show for Buffalo as he is 26yrs old and has ok numbers at 2.72/.914. So Buffalo has a 24 year old backup to a 26 year old stable goaltender. They may be just fine, but it’s Buffalo. No one really knows how to get out of that mess.

Montreal is set in goaltending as they don’t have to make a move for a couple of years. 

The Rangers’ Lundqvist’s numbers are also following his tender age of 37. 24 year old  Georgiev‘s numbers aren’t that impressive either  and 24 year old  Shesterkin only has seven NHL games under his belt. New York could very well decide to up their goaltending game with Demko.

Florida is set with Bobrovsky for best or worst and Carolina is in the thick of things, running a capable duo of Reimer/ Mrazek.

I’d say that Edmonton is also in need of goaltending as 37 year old Smith finishes his career and 31 year old Koskinen isn’t necessarily a fresh face either.

Teams with multiple picks in next year’s draft are New Jersey, Ottawa, Minnesota, Carolina and Tampa Bay, all with two each.

Tampa Bay is pretty set in goaltending. Detroit is about to draft 1OA20 so I would be very surprised if they let that one go.

To me, the most likely teams to shed a 1st for Demko at the draft in 2020 are New Jersey, Ottawa, L.A., Minnesota and Edmonton.

Is Demko worth any of these picks?

(Based on 2020 NHL mock draft)

1OA20 - DET

2OA20 - LAK

3OA20 - OTT

4OA20 - NJD

5OA20 - OTT

6OA20 - ANA

10OA20 - MIN

13OA20 - NJD

19OA20 - EDM

26OA20 - MIN

Edited by Me_

^^There is no way Demko gets a top10 pick in the draft. Schneider got 9th overall and had a way bigger body of work on his resume. Demko (on his own) might get the 26OA from minny but that's it... which begs the question why trade him? We drafted him 36thOA (I think?)... to develop him for 4 years only to trade him for a pick 10 spots higher seems redundant to me. We are better off trading a 2nd round to Seattle to protect him.

• Upvote 3

I would hate to see DiPietro (20yrs) rushed into the NHL.  I think he needs another 1-2 seasons where he is the starter for Utica (at leas 45-55games per). Demko 23yrs and Scheids 24yrs when they made the jump from the AHL to the NHL.  Pushing a player into a level of play beyond his development could set them back or even ruin there chances for a NHL career.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:55 AM, aGENT said:

'Asking' is a lot different than signing. It's all negotiation.

What was Edler asking for again? Exactly.

What was Myers going to sign for? Right.

Yeah, I hope your right! 

What do you see Markström signing for at the end of negotiations? 

6 years, 5 million per? 

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

4 years, $5.5-$6m

yeah, i think that's reasonable as well. 

term isn't too long at 4 years, would bring Markstrom to about 34-35 years old. At that point, if he's still performing at an elite level, then you sign him to shorter deals, because there's greater risk. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

Letting Markstrom go is like letting Luongo go in 2010. 

It would’ve made no sense then, and it makes no sense now. 

except marky has played zero playoff games

none

that is where your comparison fails

goalies prove their worth in the playoffs

so the jury is still out on marky

but the outlook is pretty positive

Edited by coastal.view

14 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

I was thinking it...  management should have signed Marky late season last year to an extension.

If you can sign him now for 5 x 6 mil per season, you take that deal asap.   

would Markström take more term, but less money? say, 6 years, at 5.5 million? that wouldn't be a bad deal for the Canucks either. 

Offer Seattle a second round pick to not choose Demko. 

We're set. If Seattle takes the deal. If they don't, then we most likely lose Demko. 

Edited by N4ZZY

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I would hate to see DiPietro (20yrs) rushed into the NHL.  I think he needs another 1-2 seasons where he is the starter for Utica (at leas 45-55games per). Demko 23yrs and Scheids 24yrs when they made the jump from the AHL to the NHL.  Pushing a player into a level of play beyond his development could set them back or even ruin there chances for a NHL career.

I think if we did trade Demko, we would either trade or sign a stopgap for a couple of years until Dipietro was ready to take on an NHL backup role.

13 hours ago, coastal.view said:

except marky has played zero playoff games

none

that is where your comparison fails

goalies prove their worth in the playoffs

so the jury is still out on marky

but the outlook is pretty positive

Markstrom came from the Luongo trade in 2014 when the Canucks were in total decline and stagnating from non-action after the 2011 Cup Final.

The Canucks played Miller through an organizational transition that didn’t work until the declining transition became an official rebuild.

Markstrom has proven himself necessary for winning consistently. He hasn’t made the playoffs because the team wasn’t good enough.

Benning rebuilt the team with future superstars who are just starting to flourish.

Benning then went and signed agitating vets to protect these kids in Beagle, Roussel and Beagle. Two out of three work.

Benning then faced a new mandate; make the playoffs. So with the acquisition of Miller, Myers, Benn, Fantenberg and Ferland, Benning has created a team that is about to enter their first playoff since 2015. Unfortunately it looks like Ferland can’t make it to the party.

So saying that Markstrom has never been in the playoffs, sure. Neither had Luongo when the Canucks got him. But the team was already built and were missing an elite goalie and a DD in Mitchell.

Getting rid of Markstrom is like getting rid of Luongo before the good times.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Markstrom came from the Luongo trade in 2014 when the Canucks were in total decline and stagnating from non-action after the 2011 Cup Final.

The Canucks played Miller through an organizational transition that didn’t work until the declining transition became an official rebuild.

Markstrom has proven himself necessary for wining consistency. He hasn’t made the playoffs because the team wasn’t good enough.

Benning did what he could and rebuilt the team with future superstars who are just starting to flourish.

Benning then went and signed playoff agitating vets to protect these kids in Beagle, Roussel and Beagle. Two out of three work.

And now with the acquisition of Miller, Myers, Benn, Fantenberg And Ferland, Benning has created a team that is about to enter their first playoff since 2015. Fortunately, only Ferland Can’t make it to the party.

So saying that Markstrom has never been in the playoffs, sure. Neither had Luongo when the Canucks got him. But the team was already built and were missing an elite goalie and a DD in Mitchell.

Getting rid of Markstrom is like getting rid of Luongo before the good times.

some goalies can pick up their game for the playoffs

some do not

some actually perform worse under the pressure

without having played a playoff game

we do not know how marky will actually respond

there is information missing still

nucks had full information about luongo

in 2010 - that is the year you picked for your comparison

luongo had a lot of playoff experience by then

luongo dragged the nucks into the playoffs his first season with them

he was really the sole reason the nucks won the first round that season

he is a hall of fame goalie and had an amazing stat record when he joined the nucks

markstrom is none of these.. he is just a very good regular season goalie for the past 1 year or so

and has taken several years to get to his peak

even with a goalie as good as luongo was, the nucks did not go on their deep playoff run till their 4th season with him

he was much younger then markstrom when luongo was at his peak

not sure why you think these 2 players are comparable

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1