The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian RFA year

CanucksCaptain

1)Change doesn't occur over night.

2)Top 6, skilled forwards don't grow on trees, nor are they free (salary and/or assets).

3)Lockout, CBA uncertainty and in turn a shrinking cap put one hell of a clamp on major player movement for ~2 years. League wide.

*Context.

No the point has nothing to do with zack or Cody just the direction that MG went at that time with the players he was targeting and retaining. He shed away from skill and now we lack skill, the balance he was shooting didn't take into consideration the fact that we still need two scoring lines.

You say that Gillis stated this himself. I recall him saying he was going for size skill and speed. Please find the quote you keep refering to or it.s all bullcrap..

You say that Gillis stated this himself. I recall him saying he was going for size skill and speed. Please find the quote you keep refering to or it.s all bullcrap..

This it the quote pulled out of the story I posted on the next page back. What's all this bullcrap talk?

"Gillis intimated that the Canucks were a team that had to lean too much on its skill and its high-powered offence. He decided he was willing to surrender some of that offense"

This it the quote pulled out of the story I posted on the next page back. What's all this bullcrap talk?

"Gillis intimated that the Canucks were a team that had to lean too much on its skill and its high-powered offence. He decided he was willing to surrender some of that offense"

That's a Brad Zeimer quote on what Brad felt Gillis got Kassian for. In other words, it means pretty much squat.

And even IF it was Gillis saying it, it wouldn't be remotely as damning as you seem to think it is.

That's a Brad Zeimer quote on what Brad felt Gillis got Kassian for. In other words, it means pretty much squat.

And even IF it was Gillis saying it, it wouldn't be remotely as damning as you seem to think it is.

No what is is a report from brad on what gillis said in an interview, if you can find any quote for gillis that's states that's it's false info and he didn't say it then I'd be happy to see it. What it says along with other points he made in the same interview is that he wants to get bigger and is willing to do by sacrificing scoring. My point was that this is the point that he started his new way of looking at how he wants to build the Canucks and from that point on everyone has seen how it has turned out. Why are you even disagreeing with me on this? Are you trying to defend MG, kass? What's your point? You really have nothing subjective to say your just posting for the sake of arguing.

No what is is a report from brad on what gillis said in an interview, if you can find any quote for gillis that's states that's it's false info and he didn't say it then I'd be happy to see it. What it says along with other points he made in the same interview is that he wants to get bigger and is willing to do by sacrificing scoring. My point was that this is the point that he started his new way of looking at how he wants to build the Canucks and from that point on everyone has seen how it has turned out. Why are you even disagreeing with me on this? Are you trying to defend MG, kass? What's your point? You really have nothing subjective to say your just posting for the sake of arguing.

No, It's a Zeimer quote on what he "felt" Gillis "intimated". :rolleyes:

You're the one making claims, you're the one that needs to provide evidence. And again, even if he did actually say that, it's still not remotely damning.

We were one of the the top scoring teams in the league for a while there with a pretty blatant lack of "grit". Trading a bit of something we had an abundance of at the time for something we needed was exactly what he should have been doing. And I still say we win that trade in the long run. Heck I'd say it's at worst a wash as of right now. Making it all the sillier a point of contention for your ilk to trot out in every Gillis thread.

Kassian has had the luxury of playing with an experienced, $4.5 m salaried third liner in Booth.Ironic in that two of Gillis' largest boneheaded moves play together on the third line.

Yeah Hodgson is absolutely destroying the score sheet every night getting top line minutes. He'll probably make north of 8.5 mil per year next contract no doubt.

Do you know why?

By the end of the 2011 playoff run....

Blue = playing injured / Red = out with injury / Black = no reported injury

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Raymond/Kesler/Samuelson

Higgins/Lappiere/Hansen

Edler/Ehrhoff

Hamhuis/Bieksa

That's why he decided we needed size, skill and speed as opposed to just skill and speed. Something that most on this board were saying after the physical beating we took in that playoff run.

With the cap going up he'll get 1.5-2 mil most likely. Hopefully we can lock him up for 3 years.

He's still got alot of work to do with his game, but it's slowly coming around. When he gets away from all the dumb stuff, he's actually a pretty skilled player. That no look pass he made on Schroeder's goal was Sedin-like. He just needs to bring that sort of thing consistently. He's still only 23 though, so he's got time.

Excuse me??? what has he done to earn a big raise????

Excuse me??? what has he done to earn a big raise????

If you want to sign him for more than one year you'll have to give a decent contract. Wait till you see what ufa's are going for with this years cap increase. If you can get Kassian to sign a 3 year deal under $2m per it will be a bargain.

"He still has a ways to go to develop I think into his full potential but um, he's an NHL player now, who is going to help us in a lot of different ways."

http://video.canucks...nsole?id=160765"

"he's an NHL player now, who is going to help us in a lot" Was he really an nhl player at the time?

So did he help in a lot of different ways? did he help with a play off drive? Or did he sit in the press box for play off games?

He was sold to the fans as a guy that could help- not a guy that will help in a few years. Year after next I figure the guy to be on the top 6 and an emerging power forward. And long term there is room to say he will be better than Cody would have been for the team.

But it is a "process' that has taken years.

IMO Kassian is a stud in the making. I supported the trade from day one and it looks like Kass is starting to put it all together which is pretty scary. He needs to work on a few things but he's almost like a complete player that can offer so much to a hockey team.

I also believe that putting Kass on the first line ATM will lead him away from focusing on his defensive game. This organization is smart not letting him play with the sedins until he gets resigned to a reasonable contract. In the mean time he's working on his defensive game.. If he was put on the first line and the 1 pp he would be racking in points and MG would have to sign him to a larger contract money wise. He can play on that line. Look at what Jensen is doing cuz he's surrounded by way better players on his line. Some people forget that Kass scored 5g in 7 games last season when he was put on a line with the sedins. Notice how quickly he was demoted and slapped on the fourth line. Put Jensen with booth and Richardson and see how well he does. Jensen was put on the top line to boost his confidence. MG is just trying to increase his asset value in Jensen and mold him into more of what he wants him to become(a future sniper). MG and crew are smarter than most of us on here. They know what they need to do in order to keep players here for lesser money also....

^^ You would hope that the coach is the one that makes the line combinations...

Yes we do, but in the end this mostly comes down to business, managing assets, making money, and saving money for Aquaman. It's not hard to see how involved the owner is with this organization, and why wouldn't he be?

When Kassian gets signed to a reasonable contract this year he will be given more opportunities because he's here to stay for at least a few years. I believe he will have his breakout year next year when he's put in more favourable situations. Just look at the stats that oldnews provides for us. He's one of the best posters on here IMO. Factual information instead of silly fantasies and emotional hatred that some of you have for our players...

There making an nhl player out of this guy.

Playing third line minutes with a defensive focus also limits his ice, thus, limiting his dollars on a dotted line this summer.

Kass is a guy who could put up huge numbers with the Sedins. The only logical reason I can see for keeping them apart is managing the future cap hitand taking the longview.

1.5 Million for 2 years? I'd take that.

My understanding is that Canucks still need to resign Santorelli, Schoreder, and Tanev next season.

Santorelli is a hometown boy so I can see him take a hometown discount for a 1 Way Contract (1.75 Million for 3 years NTC :P)

Tanev is a must sign I can will probably command 2 to 3 Million for next season.

Schoreder is the question mark, I seriously don't know what to make of him next season.

Scary part is if all those signings do come to fruition, that leaves the Canucks 5 Million Left in Cap Space. Which is not exactly a lot seeing how large of a contract maybe Canucks can sign Jagr for 4.5 Million / 1 Yr next season :P

Burrows - H. Sedin - Jensen

D. Sedin - Kesler - Jagr

Higgins - Matthias - Kassian

Richardson - Santorelli - Hansen

Oh buy out Booth!!!

That's a pretty deep team with a good chance of winning the cup, of course goal tending is a bit suspect. Even if the team doesn't do well next season this can be a transitional season in which next season Horvat, Guance, Shinkaruk, all get a chance.

1.5mil/ year for 2 year sounds fair. If he starts to playing like the way he has, trade him for a 1st rounder.

Kassian isn't worth a first rounder. He's a 20 point player with a 122 PIM, at most he can probably land a 2nd round pick or a 3rd liner/fringe 2nd liner player

Archived