The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison potential buyout candidate

missioncanucksfan

Garrison has had to play on his wrong side 90% of games.. only Right D we have is Bieksa Tanev Corrado.. next best is Alex Biega

His cap hit is high, but you've got to overpay free agents to get them.. Although UFA signings often work out, rarely does the contract turn out to be a discount (Filppula, Hamhuis).. Under the radar guys you take chances on like Santorelli, sure thats a different story, but when you have established NHLers that require bidding wars, their almost always overpaid... Garrison's actual salary next season is a whopping 6mil.. Same thing with trades.. If Lou had a better contract, the return would have been far greater.. If Booth's cap was lower, we wouldnt have been able to get him for two cap dumps.. If Garrison's cap hit was 3.0m, and Booth's was 1.0m, people would love them

Id want to see Garrison move back to left D, playing behind Hamhuis and in front of Stanton on the depth chart.. Edler must go while he still has some trade value.. Canucks are infamous for holding on to players too long.. You sell stocks high, not low

Pointless post.

Our owner's too cheap.

I like Garrison, dunno why all the hate. And by the way, hes 5th on our team in points.

Our owners spend to the limit every season.. Buy-out Ballard, would have bought out Booth if he wasnt injured.. Paying 15% of Lou's contract til 2045.. Our owners are not cheap.. Because of owners, we got to see out team in the stanley cup final.. Only negative thing I can say about them is that they should stay out of the player transactions.. Owners who get too involved must be annoying for GM's

No, he will still be an overpaid, mind-boggling defenceman.

People are spot on about him. He isn't terrible like Booth... he's just insignificant. He's not agile, he never moves the puck, his shots don't hit the net and he's not even shooting much right now. He has a nice frame so he's okay in the corners and clearing the crease, but dreadful on the cycle chase.

And he was brought in to replace Salo, who didn't always score that many goals, but no doubt he was lethal on the point and kept defenders honest. Garrison doesn't seem to be as much of a threat because he won't drift in... he instead stays way back on the point and tries to catch defenders off-guard. But by hanging back he is never a true threat on the PP.

The only thing good about him is his durability, which alone might make him worth the $4.5 mil. But neither AV or Torts likes him, and I don't think the fans like him either.

Torts admitted that they dont even practice the PP.. every Dman is all the way back at the blueline which pisses me off.. I like how Keith and Sharp are positioned pretty much at the top of the circle... less time with the puck but it works great, you just gotta move the puck a lot quicker and have a big body screening

Sure he isnt our best dman, and overpaid, but he's still pretty decent for a left handed dman whos played on the right side in almost every game these past 2 seasons.. He was brought in to put up points, and use his cannon on the PP.. AV tried to turn him into a shutdown D, fail.. Ballard comes in as a puck moving dman and ends up being a stay at home guy.. Needs to be better communication between MG and his coach regarding players roles when he acquires them

If used properly, Garrison could be solid: 5v5, Pair him with an big, aggressive stay at home Dman... PP, give him a dman like Brian Campbell.. He scored 18 goals receiving passes from him on the PP just a few seasons ago

Does Garrison have a NTC? If he doesnt we should deal him for a prospect or two instead of buying him out. If we plan on getting younger and want to infuse some youth. He would be a great asset to move if we can acquire a young NHL ready offensive d man in another deal. (Pouliot possibly? I am not sure)

Just an idea. Take it for what you will. Please let me know if he has a NTC though. I am curious.

When will Cederholm be NHL rdy? I want to see him play for us :D

Does Garrison have a NTC? If he doesnt we should deal him for a prospect or two instead of buying him out. If we plan on getting younger and want to infuse some youth. He would be a great asset to move if we can acquire a young NHL ready offensive d man in another deal. (Pouliot possibly? I am not sure)

Just an idea. Take it for what you will. Please let me know if he has a NTC though. I am curious.

did gillis sign him? of course he has a ntc.

who else can really shoot the puck like him. thats what we got him for. when the offense gets better he will be better. like everything else nothing will change until the system changes. wrong personal for the system the coach wants. thats the trouble av had... good offense and no d.....i still think it was a good move to fire av simply because he doesn't want to work with youth and its mistakes... the future of this team is youth and gillis knows it. my prediction is change will continue to evolve and their will be nothing anyone can really do... no more firings. torts is good so is gillis. they all must be on the same page and just be patient... the time for this team was 2011 when they went to the cup final. now things have to mold into a new direction and a new life. Thats just my opinion....

I don't think we will be seeing Cedarholm for a while. He will still have eligibility for junior next year and I expect he will be there given there is no need to rush him into Utica and into a pro contract. We have a lot of D.

Vancouvers trouble is the way the team and d especially is coached. we cant score goals because we play way to freakin slow. Torts style is slow breakout passes take to long its dump and chase hockey and no rushes. Im sorry for those saying its the team it isn't its the freaking coaching. How do you think Detroit is so good always because babcock gets them to move the puck up ice as fast as humanly possible. Garrison is fine for 4.5 mil.

No way. Garrison has played decently although his offence did dry up. So did the rest of the team's. Tort's style of play isn't conducive to scoring a lot. All 5 guys exit their zone from the same area - from a standstill.

As of today there are probably 15 teams that would sign him for more than we did.

If he bounces back he will be a beautiful steal.

Edler was far worse yet has more potential. He'd be the better trade. Notice I did not say BUYOUT because I think using one on any member of our D is a waste of opportunity, talent and money.

Vancouvers trouble is the way the team and d especially is coached. we cant score goals because we play way to freakin slow. Torts style is slow breakout passes take to long its dump and chase hockey and no rushes. Im sorry for those saying its the team it isn't its the freaking coaching. How do you think Detroit is so good always because babcock gets them to move the puck up ice as fast as humanly possible. Garrison is fine for 4.5 mil.

Interesting point. Would you say that the team started to struggle once they started to understand and played Torts system? Until December, the team may have been successful because they were still playing the old AV style. Once enough time passed and the team learned of Torts system, maybe we started to lose? Possible...

i'm no fan of garrison so by comparison in dollar value/point production with yannick weber, weber wins in my books.

yannick has five goals in fourty five games to garrison's seven goals in seventy-seven games, though garrison blows him away in over all point production with power play time, more ice time and over all gamesplayed, weber has good value though neither an upgrade or a step back, but that's not my point.

you mention that booth has been great, but let's face it, he's done, stick a fork in him, he's finished here! garrison stays.

Archived