The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you could describe your excitement from 1-10 on Horvat/Fox

Merci

Expecting two kids from Junior who aren't the best from their age group to contribute is really asking for disappointment.

Except... Dane is the leading scorer and Horvat is in the top 5... #4 I believe... He also has a memorial cup and is going for another...

I am always over the top excited to see our young guys try for the big club.

It is always tempered by the knowledge that only a very few (if any) make the cut.

That said, I am really, really, really looking forward to prospects camp this year.

We have a number of "older" prospects like Gaunce and Fox that may exceed expectations and beat out prospects like Horvat and Cassels that other posters have picked.

Plus, Utica should be fun team to watch as these guys all grow together (instead of a mix of our prospects and another team's prospects and lifetime AHLers etc.)

People are getting their hopes up too high for Fox. Remember, he's an overager playing with elite players. He's good, but there's a reason he wasn't picked. Attitude is one of them.

how many other overagers are in the league and how do they stack up against his numbers? Serious question.

People are getting their hopes up too high for Fox. Remember, he's an overager playing with elite players. He's good, but there's a reason he wasn't picked. Attitude is one of them.

If he tops out as barely a 20 goal scorer on the third line he was still a steal for how we got him.

Casey Pierro-Zabotel with the Vancouver Giants in 2009 was an OA, led the league in scoring and can't even average a point-a-game in the ECHL.

Proceed with caution, folks.

Horvat will definately make the NHL, so it's easy to get excited about him. His 2-way skills and quickness on the faceoffs automatically put him on the 3rd line. I can see him climbing up to the 2nd line within 2 years and creating a scoring line that's tough to play against. Put Horvat and another playmaker like Kassian alongside a sniper (Shinks? Jensen?) and they'll get +++ of goals. Bo appears to have those 'intangibles' that guys like Linden have, that excel in the big games and can lead a team.

Much more cautious about Fox. 'Overagers' do have an advantage over the young players in Jrs. Even 6 months of development can make a difference with these young guys. Fox is not a good skater on a Jr team and may really struggle against adult players. Next year he will get a chance to compete with the Comets and will hopefully be able to improve on his speed. Luckily for Fox, he has the size and defensive skills to play on the bottom 6 if he can't make the top 6. Seeing as he was a 'freebe' for the Nucks, it will be a huge bonus even if he pans out as an AHL regular that can come up to the big club when there's an injury.

Top 4 scorer if on the Canucks.

I guess Vancouver has become a junior team.

lol top 4 on the Canucks is 39 points, this is impressive to you?

Hodgson is getting 1st line minutes as well, until he got demoted recently that is

1 ... nothing really excites me on this team if there isn't going to be any major changes in GM and Coach. Seriously, they will ruin his development or trade him just before he peaks.

Ahhhh typical CDC stupidity at it's finest.. and it get's 8 agreements.. why does this not surprise me?

Except... Dane is the leading scorer and Horvat is in the top 5... #4 I believe... He also has a memorial cup and is going for another...

Fox could very well be another Randy Rowe who was a goal a game scorer in junior but couldn't crack the canucks... Or any other team.

In my original post, I wrote, 'trade him just before he peaks'. Of course, any up and coming player can be traded, but I don't particularly trust this current GM with developing players.

The GMs dont develop the players. the coaching staff in the minors and the NHL do. I blame Gillis for a lot.....i mean a lot, but not for developing players.

Horvat - 8

Fox - 7

It really saddens me to see all the pessimism surrounding Horvat, from what I have seen the kid has the right tools and abilities to succeed at an elite level in the NHL.

I dont think its unreasonable to compare him to Bergeron. Horvat has more offensive upside than bergeron did when he got drafted. Horcat - 74 pts in 54 games, could have scored a hundred if he played the whole season.

Horvat will easily be a second line center in his career. People are still upset that we had to give up Scneider to get him. I guarantee if he was drafted by Edmonton or Calgary people would be talking about how great this kid will be, but since he was drafted by the canucks he isnt going to be that good apparently.

Serioulsy i was watching the draft and as NJ was about to make their pick the announcers were talking non-stop about how great Horvat will be and that he is a cant miss player` then NJ trades their pick to us and we draft Horvat then seriously all the announcers started saying he is really only a defensive guy and might be second liner one day???WTF??

Horvat is a great young player who I think will be as good as Bergeron one day.

Fox is hard to read with just one good season there are still some question marks. Once we see him in camp and pre-season we will get a better idea of his ceiling, Though its apparent he has the tools to be an offensive guy I still want to see more of him before I start jumping on the bandwagon.

I think of my brides cousin when topics like this arise. Pat Falloon, drafted second behind Lindros, put up huge numbers for the Spokane Chiefs but when he moved to the NHL his junior success didn't follow, albeit he began with the start up SJ Sharks.

I remember watching a playoff game Spokane played in the 1991 playoffs in Seattle. Falloon dominated the game and was 1st star in a 6-3 win....and didn't even score a point. A great junior player, but not enough grit/desire to make it work at the NHL level, unfortunately.

I remember watching a playoff game Spokane played in the 1991 playoffs in Seattle. Falloon dominated the game and was 1st star in a 6-3 win....and didn't even score a point. A great junior player, but not enough grit/desire to make it work at the NHL level, unfortunately.

Yeah, I think his heart was back on the farm.

Horvat - 6

I believe that he'll be a Canuck next season but I'm not sold on him being more than a 3rd liner at this point. He has all the tools to become a top 6 forward. Next year will be worth watching.

Fox - 3

I don't see anything special about his game. He just seems like any other overager. We'll see what happens over the next couple of years but he's definitely a project player.

Archived