The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC vs TSN re: MG vs Torts

Noseforthenet

CBC can throw torts under the bus as much as they want but the fact remains that these problems have been happening since we lost the cup. Gillis has not done his job of keeping this team competitive. Torts can not do his job properly without the pieces to make a complete team. However, torts did fail to get the players into shape/play the way he needed them to be. He admitted this and he has accepted his own failings. He deserves another shot, another season to prove his worth. Gillis just pointed fingers like he always does, he has not held himself accountable. He has given out stupid contracts to players and ntc like they are candy. He has handicapped this team and as a result the whole canuck empire is crumbling. It's time for him to go, get a GM in here that will do something!

Tortorella ran the toughest training camp that most of these players had experienced...they were in great shape...The problem was JT deployment of players and systems (especially the Sedins) ...Couple unsustainable minutes ,shot blocking injuries,no transitional game and a lunatic performance by the coach...It's no wonder they were crushed and despondent by January....Gillis failed as well (well documented),but this team should have made the playoffs this season....It did not,chiefly because of Tortorella IMO.

I agree with what MG said

"Everyone said Alain was a defensive coach who couldn't change his style to offense 6 years ago" (2007/2008) we also missed the playoffs that year and had 88 points.

Look what happened 1 season after in 2009/2010; Alain took the team from 24 in league scoring to 2nd in the league and it was with help from MG and his acquisitions that allowed him to do it.

Considering torts had tampa third in league scoring and played a up tempo game with them its possible for him to switch to up tempo if he wants to.

I think right now this team is clearly reseting for the future which is why they are assessing most of their current prospects (Jensen,Corrado, Schroeder, Lain, Archibald) to see what they can offer and what needs they need to fill.

MG is more than capable of taking the team from low scoring to high as he did with AV and he said he is willing to do it with Torts despite all the doubters who said torts can't coach offense.

I think they both can stay and deserve another chance if and only if MG acquires a PMD to help the sedins simalar to Salo in 2011-2012 and Ehrhoff in 2009-2010, 2010-2011 and torts coachs an up tempo game like MG wants.

Last year is their last chance.

Tortorella ran the toughest training camp that most of these players had experienced...they were in great shape...The problem was JT deployment of players and systems (especially the Sedins) ...Couple unsustainable minutes ,shot blocking injuries,no transitional game and a lunatic performance by the coach...It's no wonder they were crushed and despondent by January....Gillis failed as well (well documented),but this team should have made the playoffs this season....It did not,chiefly because of Tortorella IMO.

Sorry should have made myself clearer when I said he didn't have them in shape I meant he didn't adjust the style of game like he needed to. They played to passieve for to long. Yes this was because of injuries but he did admit that he should have changed the style up. He held himself accountable and thus I feel he deserves another shot.

As for the twins maybe they should also hold themselves accountable. I know injuries played apart this year but they have not played the way we know they can for the last few years. Time for a new captain I think.

i hate the boring garbage style of hockey torts is trying and failing to impose. if players won't buy in then the coach or all the core players have to go. owners made a huge mistake hiring him in the first place.

torts has to go NOW. its no coincidence all the best players having there worst year not to mention the injures to the top six, power play has been a total joke, this team isn't built for the dumb system of dump and chase.

gillis has to go because the owners aren't letting him take care of hockey operations (trades blocked coaches hired owners need to trust the people they hire or sell the team before they do anymore damage.

problem is there is nobody better out there better to replace him especially since the owners only want a puppet.

i personally blame the ownership for the past season and a half of blunders Gillis is a smart guy so is gillman i don't believe they would do most of those trades unless they were told to. scapegoats. simply put this team has terrible owners i hope they sell sooner than later.

Get rid of these meddling owners, bring in new ownership that has deep pockets, bring in a top GM and go from there. There is no salary cap on a GM's salary so target the best. I hate to say it but a GM who is well connected to the league is what's needed for making good hockey deals, being on the right side of penalty calls and disciplinary action and positive PR.

I'm a firm believer that success starts at the top. The Canucks can only blame themselves for the rightly deserved criticism.

Only if it was so easy, how do you get rid of owners? Hope they sell? MG should be gone they tried a new coach last year this year the GM should be out. Can't keep going year to year firing coaches.

The question of the day is. Who is in charge of the Canucks, and how much input do the owners have on day to day matters?

A GM is supposed to be the guy behind the wheel. It should be overall his decision who stays, who goes, who gets hired as coach.

Now if ownership is telling Gillis, we want you to hire Torts, no you can't trade Kesler, etc. You have just taken away the GM authority to do the moves he wants. If Gillis was trying to get a better deal for Kesler, then the owners said no he's not to be traded. It handcuffs your GM.

Long term that's dysfunctional. I like Torts as a person. But as a coach, I wasn't very impressed with the season. His moves of overplaying players, made AV look like a genius. I didn't think that was possible. Now he had horrific injuries to his team this year, that is an issue. But great coaches use what they've got. The fact that when he took over we didn't have a huge winning streak (Like Paul Maurice got when he took over the Jets) that alone is unusual. Most teams respond well to a new coach.

As much as I wouldn't want to see Torts fired, unless the discussions off season result in him saying "I learned a lot, I now know from the end of the season what buttons to push, and what style to work with." Then I'd give him another chance. If he keeps trying to pound a round peg into a square hole, then it's hasta la vista.

He shouldn't have overplayed our top line I'll give you that but why did he overplay them? He saw the same as we all did (well most) that MG has left us without a second line and you need to score goals to win. You are going to put that top line out nise then you should when there isn't another option. Falls back to the GM.

Player like Edler has gone from a quality player to a shambles, Staton over the course of the season seems to have lost the natural abilities he first brought to the club. Edlers is still Edler and there appears to be any number of clubs willing to trade for him...ie they haven't given up on him...I suspect if he does leave he'll revert to a top end "D"

Edler didn't play like an NHLer last season either. Unfortunately, AHLex is either too stupid or too lazy to bother playing acceptable defense.

Booth is going to cost the Aqua men $4.75m next year,which has to register on the ridiculous bad payment scale somewhere.

Nice for Kassian to get Kesler's second liner to pad his stats but not so great for Kes or the owner's pockets.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/813

Maybe Kesler can pad his stats from beauty passes from Kassian.. see it works both ways. At least Kassian is fast enough to keep up with him and physical enough to get him the puck.

Well we're only gonna win one fewer playoff game than we totaled the last two seasons with Vigneault behind the bench and a better team with better depth, so how can you blame the coach? Especially when it was his first season with all new personnel and coming to a new conference where he'd never coached before? But yeah, for sure, blame the coach, fire him after one season, what are we here the Oilers or something? Torts is a good coach and when the team has been healthy enough to have everyone going and playing the way they should then they have played pretty well, IMO. Looking at the roster before the season, there was little to no depth, no room for error if injuries piled up or we had some bad luck, and we had plenty of both, really it's remarkable we're even still close to being in it. Gillis has got to go, remember the last time we missed the playoffs Nonis got canned but Vigneault stayed, and we made at least the second round the next three seasons.

Archived