The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

I remember a lot of people were throwing in the towel last year, when they were down 0-2 to Texas. This series isn't even close to being over. 4 straight wins is doable, especially when 3 of those games are on home turf. 

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

I find the Jays at bats are pretty feeble so far in this series...I hope they arent going back into their september swoon.

Apparently, the 4 days off hurt more than it helped. The Jays hitters' timing is just off a hair.

In the first few innings, Tomlin was having control issues and it was resulting in a lot of 2-0, 3-1 counts, but even knowing that they were going to get a fastball, the Jays' batters were rolling over on the pitches and hitting room service ground balls to third and short. This was going on all game with pretty much everyone, except JD.

Then again in the 9th, Allen made mistakes to both Edwing and Bats. In the Texas series, both of those balls would have found the bleachers, but yesterday, they resulted in weak, or no contact.

The fact is, Cleveland is going through the same thing. They aren't tearing the cover off the ball either. Both teams have good starting pitching, but both teams are a bit off with their timing at the plate. Both teams have a guy making a difference offensively. Unfortunately, Lindor is hitting out of the three hole and JD is batting second.

Hopefully, the Jays will re-discover their timing at the plate when they get back to T.O.

19 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Upton in for Saunders...I dont think you will see Saunders start another game in this series.

I think you might be surprised. Saunders ranks third among Jays batters in batting average this postseason.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Apparently, the 4 days off hurt more than it helped. The Jays hitters' timing is just off a hair.

In the first few innings, Tomlin was having control issues and it was resulting in a lot of 2-0, 3-1 counts, but even knowing that they were going to get a fastball, the Jays' batters were rolling over on the pitches and hitting room service ground balls to third and short. This was going on all game with pretty much everyone, except JD.

Then again in the 9th, Allen made mistakes to both Edwing and Bats. In the Texas series, both of those balls would have found the bleachers, but yesterday, they resulted in weak, or no contact.

The fact is, Cleveland is going through the same thing. They aren't tearing the cover off the ball either. Both teams have good starting pitching, but both teams are a bit off with their timing at the plate. Both teams have a guy making a difference offensively. Unfortunately, Lindor is hitting out of the three hole and JD is batting second.

Hopefully, the Jays will re-discover their timing at the plate when they get back to T.O.

I think you might be surprised. Saunders ranks third among Jays batters in batting average this postseason.

there is that..he had 4 SOs in Cleveland..not the worst on the team considering there was 27 SOs in 2 games...but he wont start next game as DH...I have a feeling Smoak or Upton may...Saunders has already lost his OF job and I dont think that will change...Im so conflicted with Saunders.

It's a 7 game series lots of ball still to play, as shiznak said they were down 2-0 to Texas last year and came back. I'll be a little more worried if they go down 3-0, but as for now still have confidence in this team to turn it around.

Also it's not like we have been blown out of the games we lost, 2-0 and 2-1 very close games. These kind of scores are expected in October playoff ball especially when the last 4 teams are left. Of course you'd want the outcome being the other way around but oh well, as long as the bats can get going next game the momentum should shift and being at home will help that a lot I think.

IMO, when you lose games 2-0 and 2-1, you don't start looking at which player made a key error (Martin), couldn't get to a ground ball (Travis), or didn't make his pitch (Estrada). The Jays have put their $ into their offence. When the offence dries up, pitchers start to feel they have to be perfect/pitch too fine and infielders start to tighten up. 

If guys like JB weren't chasing balls way out of the zone, I don't think you see the defensive mistakes on the other side of the inning. 

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It's a 7 game series lots of ball still to play, as shiznak said they were down 2-0 to Texas last year and came back. I'll be a little more worried if they go down 3-0, but as for now still have confidence in this team to turn it around.

Also it's not like we have been blown out of the games we lost, 2-0 and 2-1 very close games. These kind of scores are expected in October playoff ball especially when the last 4 teams are left. Of course you'd want the outcome being the other way around but oh well, as long as the bats can get going next game the momentum should shift and being at home will help that a lot I think.

They are close games because of excellent pitching, but the Jays are more reliant on their bats as a team.  This is why they failed against KC last year.  They need to focus on getting players on base and then getting them home.  Or else players like Bautista will continue to strike out.