The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

On 17 March, 2016 at 5:37 PM, the last outlaw said:

Actually, I think both Joey Bats and EE are gone after season if not before should things should south and bad.

Contract talks with EE have stalled. Don't think they have any intention of them trying to keep either of them. They will make some low offers to both knowing they won't accept it, and will say they tried to keep them for PR. Much like they did with Price.

If things go south the Jays could clean up trade deadline with UFA's to be in Bats, EE, Storen, Cecil and maybe even Dickey. I think if the Jays season goes south they'd trade all these guys and maybe try to sign at least half of these guys back in the offseason.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Price was always going to cost north of 30 million a year. I think letting Price walk was the right move. We were able to spread out that 30 million of cap space and apply it to more than just one roster spot that pitches every 5 games. With EE and Bautista there are variables included that would indicate their future annual cap hit on a new contract could be in the blue jays territory. Also both publicly stating they want to finish their careers here. I'd be surprised if they don't retain at least one of them. Going forward I'm just not sure how wise it would be to sign both Bautista and EE to play 1rst and DH.

I personally don't think it was a good idea to let a bona fide #1 walk without even trying to negotiate. If this team wasn't as strong as they are then I would probably agree with you, but the fact this team isn't a rebuild team they are a team poised to compete without and actual bona fide #1 Ace imo. I really believe Price wanted to be here more then any where, his multiple comments regarding how much he was enjoying his time playing here just showed his heart wanted to be here more. I strongly believe he wouldn't of taken as much money to be a Jay, but once the Jay's didn't even talk about contract of course he's going to go where the money is, he can't wait forever. 

I would of been happier if they didn't re-sign Estrada and Happ and used that money for Price. Yes Estrada had a great year last year his best ever actually, but how do you know he can repeat you don't his history has no consistency, unlike someone like Price who has shown consistency. I also believe Estradas great season had a lot to do with Navarro, even Zaun has mentioned this, but now Navarro is gone and I think it will effect Estradas game, he's just lucky he has a power hitting team behind him.

Estrada 13M 

Happ 12M

That 25M would of signed Price guarantee it.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I personally don't think it was a good idea to let a bona fide #1 walk without even trying to negotiate. If this team wasn't as strong as they are then I would probably agree with you, but the fact this team isn't a rebuild team they are a team poised to compete without and actual bona fide #1 Ace imo. I really believe Price wanted to be here more then any where, his multiple comments regarding how much he was enjoying his time playing here just showed his heart wanted to be here more. I strongly believe he wouldn't of taken as much money to be a Jay, but once the Jay's didn't even talk about contract of course he's going to go where the money is, he can't wait forever. 

I would of been happier if they didn't re-sign Estrada and Happ and used that money for Price. Yes Estrada had a great year last year his best ever actually, but how do you know he can repeat you don't his history has no consistency, unlike someone like Price who has shown consistency. I also believe Estradas great season had a lot to do with Navarro, even Zaun has mentioned this, but now Navarro is gone and I think it will effect Estradas game, he's just lucky he has a power hitting team behind him.

Estrada 13M 

Happ 12M

That 25M would of signed Price guarantee it.

Pirce signed for over 30 million a year. I think he was looking for the highest bidder and wouldn't sign in Toronto for 6 million less and 3 years less term. Would you rather have Price or Estrada, Happ and Storen? I think even still the Estrada, Happ and Storen is cheaper than Price. I know it sucks losing the prospects we did to acquire Price but I feel Boston will regret that contract in the second half of it. Yes there was a certain comfort for Estrada with Navvy but these guys are professionals and I'm sure Martin has watched a bunch of tapes to try and mimic Navvy's games with Estrada because Estrada will be a big part of this season.

24 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Pirce signed for over 30 million a year. I think he was looking for the highest bidder and wouldn't sign in Toronto for 6 million less and 3 years less term. Would you rather have Price or Estrada, Happ and Storen? I think even still the Estrada, Happ and Storen is cheaper than Price. I know it sucks losing the prospects we did to acquire Price but I feel Boston will regret that contract in the second half of it. Yes there was a certain comfort for Estrada with Navvy but these guys are professionals and I'm sure Martin has watched a bunch of tapes to try and mimic Navvy's games with Estrada because Estrada will be a big part of this season.

He took the highest bid because Toronto didn't even TRY. He knew this team was special and I strongly believe if Toronto even tried to talk and we're close Price would of stayed for sure.  I'll leave this quote with you from Prices agent.

Price's agent, bo McKinnis, told Jim Bowden on SiriusXM radio.

"The Blue Jays were the biggest surprise. David would've absolutely gone back there," McKinnis said on Sunday. "That was the toughest part of this and I'm surprised we did not get an offer.

"He had a wonderful time there and the bulk of the club is back there and he would've enjoyed being with them."

6 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

rip in pieces. From WS contenders to breaking apart.

2 years from now, I'm certain the Jays won't have JD, JB, or EE. So sad and pathetic frack this.

Tbh kind of saw this coming.

It was pretty obvious only one of EE or Bautista would be here after this year hopefully they can bring back one. I was kind of leaning towards Bautista over EE anyways, so as long as they can lock up Bautista now it will be ok.

10 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

He took the highest bid because Toronto didn't even TRY. He knew this team was special and I strongly believe if Toronto even tried to talk and we're close Price would of stayed for sure.  I'll leave this quote with you from Prices agent.

Price's agent, bo McKinnis, told Jim Bowden on SiriusXM radio.

"The Blue Jays were the biggest surprise. David would've absolutely gone back there," McKinnis said on Sunday. "That was the toughest part of this and I'm surprised we did not get an offer.

"He had a wonderful time there and the bulk of the club is back there and he would've enjoyed being with them."

I know he would have loved to come back I remember when all this stuff was said but you'd have to think everybody knew Prices upcoming contract would surpass that of what Scherzer got just last year. The Jays owners 'Rogers' have a self imposed cap. Prices expected contract would have surpassed their cap alone leaving them with many holes. I think under their budget from the owners fitting Price anywhere close to 31 million on a year for 7 years wouldn't work dollar wise.

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

rip in pieces. From WS contenders to breaking apart.

2 years from now, I'm certain the Jays won't have JD, JB, or EE. So sad and pathetic frack this.

JD is under control for like another 3 or 4 years or so. If he's gone we're getting a very nice package for him. It will be very sad to see either Bats or EE not a Jay but hopefully they go out with a bang. I'd much rather go into this year with neither of them extended so just incase they're out we can trade both Bats and EE for a ton of prospects and maybe sign one if not both back in free agency.

Edited by flickyoursedin

14 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Price was always going to cost north of 30 million a year. I think letting Price walk was the right move. We were able to spread out that 30 million of cap space and apply it to more than just one roster spot that pitches every 5 games. With EE and Bautista there are variables included that would indicate their future annual cap hit on a new contract could be in the blue jays territory. Also both publicly stating they want to finish their careers here. I'd be surprised if they don't retain at least one of them. Going forward I'm just not sure how wise it would be to sign both Bautista and EE to play 1rst and DH.

Pretty sure his agent said Price would have taken less than what both Boston and St.Louis offered to stay in TO. I've always said, if the Jays offer even a decent offer, something similar to Verlander's contract, he would've stayed. 

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Pretty sure his agent said Price would have taken less than what both Boston and St.Louis offered to stay in TO. I've always said, if the Jays offer even a decent offer, something similar to Verlander's contract, he would've stayed. 

Well thats something we'll never know. Some people are under the impression that Price would have passed up 5 to 6 million dollars a year 42 overall million on a 7 year contract to play for the Jays. I'm under the impression that a max discount in Prices eyes is like 29 mill a year which is still 2 million less than what he got and 14 million less on his 7 year deal. I think even on a small discount Price was far too rich for the Jays to pay. I'm with you I wish we had an unlimited bank supply and signed him unfortunately we don't and Rogers only wants to spend so much. At the same time we can't be too upset with the budget because when you look at it at least we're top 10 in the league for budget.

52 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well thats something we'll never know. Some people are under the impression that Price would have passed up 5 to 6 million dollars a year 42 overall million on a 7 year contract to play for the Jays. I'm under the impression that a max discount in Prices eyes is like 29 mill a year which is still 2 million less than what he got and 14 million less on his 7 year deal. I think even on a small discount Price was far too rich for the Jays to pay. I'm with you I wish we had an unlimited bank supply and signed him unfortunately we don't and Rogers only wants to spend so much. At the same time we can't be too upset with the budget because when you look at it at least we're top 10 in the league for budget.

What did he get with Boston, 7 years? I don't think he would've got more than 5 with Toronto so given the ballpark of his salary he would've been forfeiting at least $50 million in those two years. Seems like a deal breaker to me.

I hope Gavin Floyd is put into long relief given his injury history and ability to get it going right away.  Looks sharp and strong.  Really hoping Sanchez gets the 5th spot given his youth, size and how he's looked so far this pre-season. Just looks like a big league starter to me.  PS - usually in pre-season and early in the year, hitters will have an edge on pitchers. I'm concerned with Tulos bat. He's got the big star name and usually excellent D but for that price, the bat has to keep up.  Nice homer tho. 

Edited by YummyCakeFace

Like Sean said, I don't necessarily think the yearly salary was the issue with Price, it's the term. He's already on the downside of his career and in 7 years that contract could be a real albatross for the Red Sox.

Personally, I'd be fine with giving Edwing and Joey Bats big money, if they'd accept shorter term deals. There are new UFAs every season and these guys aren't getting any younger...

43 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

I hope Gavin Floyd is put into long relief given his injury history and ability to get it going right away.  Looks sharp and strong.  Really hoping Sanchez gets the 5th spot given his youth, size and how he's looked so far this pre-season. Just looks like a big league starter to me.  PS - usually in pre-season and early in the year, hitters will have an edge on pitchers. I'm concerned with Tulos bat. He's got the big star name and usually excellent D but for that price, the bat has to keep up.  Nice homer tho. 

I think I've said it here before but I see so many similarities between Sanchez and Doc. Sure Halladay ended up an absolute stud,  but it was a bumpy road early in his career. Sanchez's mechanics, delivery, body type, and "stuff" bring back shades of Doc to me. Who knows if he'll ever be that good or if he'll even establish himself a starting pitcher, but I see some similarities. Sanchez can bring it at like 97-98 with some nasty movement. Doc threw a little harder in his younger years but became a much more polished pitcher as he aged as opposed to simply a thrower. Sanchez's ceiling is so damn exciting. 

26 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Like Sean said, I don't necessarily think the yearly salary was the issue with Price, it's the term. He's already on the downside of his career and in 7 years that contract could be a real albatross for the Red Sox.

Personally, I'd be fine with giving Edwing and Joey Bats big money, if they'd accept shorter term deals. There are new UFAs every season and these guys aren't getting any younger...

I think only one of EE/JB will stay. From a baseball standpoint it may make more sense to keep EE but from a business standpoint (and this is where my vote goes too) I think you keep JB. He's been here since before this rebuild started and he was really the catalyst for it all, IMO. He's been mashing homeruns since 2010 when the team was an AL East afterthought. You could even argue that he's been the most important Blue Jay since the last WS team. 

Edit: on second thought, it may not make sense to keep EE even from a baseball perspective. You have Colabello and Smoak, who may not be long-term solutions but viable alternatives nonetheless. Smoak plays some good defense (not a huge deal at first base, but he's better than EE) and he put up 18 HR's in only 328 PA's and 296 AB's. That's impressive.

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Before Boston landed him, he was reportedly going to St.Louis and their deal was 30M less than Boston's (7yrs/187M). Everyone knew Boston had to overpay Price to get him.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

What did he get with Boston, 7 years? I don't think he would've got more than 5 with Toronto so given the ballpark of his salary he would've been forfeiting at least $50 million in those two years. Seems like a deal breaker to me.

Yeah this is exactly why I think Toronto didn't even try to get in the bidding all they could offer would obviously not be enough for Price (dollars and length of contract) with him knowing how much was coming his way because of the Scherzer deal.

11 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Before Boston landed him, he was reportedly going to St.Louis and their deal was 30M less than Boston's (7yrs/187M). Everyone knew Boston had to overpay Price to get him.

But he didn't sign 7/187 he signed for 7/217. Rumors are Rumors we don't know what was actually offered and how much money teams eventually stopped upping their bids but we do know what he signed for and could Toronto have matched that the dollars and length of contract? not likely.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah this is exactly why I think Toronto didn't even try to get in the bidding all they could offer would obviously not be enough for Price (dollars and length of contract) with him knowing how much was coming his way because of the Scherzer deal.

They certainly could have matched Boston's offer, or at least made one similar, but clearly management/ownership wasn't willing to (evidenced by them not offering anything). I can't blame Price whatsoever. This will be his last big contract and he cashed out-n that's what he's been working towards for the last 25 years of his life. Good on him. You can buy a hell of a lot of scooters and robes with $217 million

3 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

They certainly could have matched Boston's offer, or at least made one similar, but clearly management/ownership wasn't willing to (evidenced by them not offering anything). I can't blame Price whatsoever. This will be his last big contract and he cashed out-n that's what he's been working towards for the last 25 years of his life. Good on him. You can buy a hell of a lot of scooters and robes with $217 million

You just said Toronto likely wouldn't of offered more than a 5 year deal? 5 years at 31 million isn't matching 7 years 31 million. You're 62 million short of matching.