The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 hours ago, b3. said:

Feel bad for Smoak. 4th strikeout of the night...

Smoak , Martin and Colobello..are having a hard start to the year..most of the others are just barely hitting except for Donaldson and a few others..today was unreal...that with average pitching was the downfall.

Not sure why they even sent a qualifying offer to Smoak, when they could have given the same dollar amount to Morneau, who can actually work the count and hit a breaking ball.

Edited by shiznak

15 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Pillar struck out by a pitch just above the ankles.

Jays need to stop crying to the umps. The rep is costing them. 

Ted Barrett had an awful afternoon calling balls and strikes yesterday, but it went both ways. Before the Pillar strikeout, he rang up Bats on a pitch that was clearly outside and considering JB's reputation for having one of the best eyes in baseball, the error is compounded.

But Barrett was equal opportunity when it came to missed calls. The next inning he called out one of the Red Sox on an outside pitch and then an inning later Pedroia was caught looking at a ball that was even lower than the Pillar call. It was telling to me that DP didn't even complain. The players were all well aware that Barrett had a plane to catch and the strike zone had expanded to resemble the Vlady Guererro hitting zone.

17 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, the inning-eating excuse is just what's usually said about dickey. Personally I don't care how many innings he can eat if they're mostly crap. 

I too was disappointed with Dickey's last two starts, but I have to say that this comment surprises me, especially since I always thought of you as a knowledgeable baseball guy.

You can't possibly believe that a pitcher can get to 200+ innings if "most of them are crap", can you?

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Ted Barrett had an awful afternoon calling balls and strikes yesterday, but it went both ways. Before the Pillar strikeout, he rang up Bats on a pitch that was clearly outside and considering JB's reputation for having one of the best eyes in baseball, the error is compounded.

But Barrett was equal opportunity when it came to missed calls. The next inning he called out one of the Red Sox on an outside pitch and then an inning later Pedroia was caught looking at a ball that was even lower than the Pillar call. It was telling to me that DP didn't even complain. The players were all well aware that Barrett had a plane to catch and the strike zone had expanded to resemble the Vlady Guererro hitting zone.

I too was disappointed with Dickey's last two starts, but I have to say that this comment surprises me, especially since I always thought of you as a knowledgeable baseball guy.

You can't possibly believe that a pitcher can get to 200+ innings if "most of them are crap", can you?

Its the bad 2 or 3 a game that puts the team behind the eight ball. He eats the innings alright because he is left in long after he should be yanked.

Although this year the leash seems a little shorter....3 games averaging 5 innings...with close to 7.00 era.

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Its the bad 2 or 3 a game that puts the team behind the eight ball. He eats the innings alright because he is left in long after he should be yanked.

Although this year the leash seems a little shorter....3 games averaging 5 innings...with close to 7.00 era.

I think that's an overly simplistic and inaccurate assessment. I understand people's frustration with Dickey. It's the lot of a knuckleball pitcher, but you don't get to 200 innings being as bad as a lot of people here seem to think.

It's like I'm back in Canucks talk....:rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think that's an overly simplistic and inaccurate assessment. I understand people's frustration with Dickey. It's the lot of a knuckleball pitcher, but you don't get to 200 innings being as bad as a lot of people here seem to think.

It's like I'm back in Canucks talk....:rolleyes:

Thats me...simplistic..He is an average pitcher being paid 13 million a season for having one good season..his record over 4 years with the Jays is 40-39...granted he eats innings but those innings havent really translated into wins. although checking some salaries 13 million isnt ace money anymore but still.

Further to this game...can anyone hit on this team other than the big 3?

Edited by ShakyWalton

@RUPERTKBD

calling most of them crap was probably an exaggeration but I still think we see far too many poor outings/innings from Dickey than we should, especially considering he's being paid 12 million this year. Part of my disdain for him is definitely due to what we traded to get dickey too, which I know is on AA rather than dickey but I can't really help feeling that way. I don't think he really has a place in a championship caliber rotation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Thats me...simplistic..He is an average pitcher being paid 13 million a season for having one good season..his record over 4 years with the Jays is 40-39...granted he eats innings but those innings havent really translated into wins. although checking some salaries 13 million isnt ace money anymore but still.

Further to this game...can anyone hit on this team other than the big 3?

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

@RUPERTKBD

calling most of them crap was probably an exaggeration but I still think we see far too many poor outings/innings from Dickey than we should, especially considering he's being paid 12 million this year. Part of my disdain for him is definitely due to what we traded to get dickey too, which I know is on AA rather than dickey but I can't really help feeling that way. I don't think he really has a place in a championship caliber rotation.

So....does that mean that both of you are backing off the "200 innings means nothing" stuff? Because if we're going to change the argument to "he makes too much money for a .500 pitcher", you're arguing against something that I haven't claimed.

54 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So....does that mean that both of you are backing off the "200 innings means nothing" stuff? Because if we're going to change the argument to "he makes too much money for a .500 pitcher", you're arguing against something that I haven't claimed.

you are imagining things... Quote..."granted he eats innings but those innings havent really translated into wins".

I never did say that he didnt pitch 200 innings..Im saying they are not quality innings for the most part...I dont know what you want me to say bro.