The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Pitches%20June%209_zpszctiwsby.png

Interesting that the XBH's are going up after 60 pitches. At first I thought it was cause they'd be swinging out of heir shoes to tie games up and whatnot later in the game, but their strikeout and walk rates are improving as well. As predicted, you're on to something here DBTR.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Where is he shakes? He'll be back teaching high school again fairly soon I think.

i should say though, for all our slagging on these guys...just getting to the show is incredible. Hats off to them.

Sounds about right....

On April 2, 2016, Delabar signed a minor league deal with the Cincinnati Reds.[22] On May 7, his contract was purchased by the Reds.[23] On May 17, in a game against the Cleveland Indians, Delabar walked four consecutive batters with the bases loaded thus allowing four runs to score. Delabar was designated for assignment by the Reds on May 21,[24] and sent outright to the Triple-A Louisville Bats on May 24.

• Upvote 1

No Joey Bats today and Tulo wont be back anytime soon..had a set back today....

appears that shortstop Troy Tulowitzki will not be making his return to the Toronto Blue Jays as soon as expected as he suffered what is being described as a 'setback' and was forced to leave an extended Spring Training game on Friday.

The team is awaiting word on the extent of the injury.

twitter embed

Tulowitzki had been scheduled to head to Buffalo on Saturday and was expected to make his return to Toronto on Monday.  That timeline is now in doubt.

Tulowitzki was placed on the 15-day DL on May 28th with a strained right quadriceps muscle.  He has struggled at the plate this season, sporting a .208 batting average and eight home runs in 46 games.

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

What can the team do to improve their RISP %. I saw the other day it was 2nd last in the league. It's a problem they had last season and still haven't addressed effectively

It's tough to say. I think, as others have commented on here, it tends to be their approach. There seems to be a lot of big swings with RISP, which is fine if the hitter is up 2-0 or 3-1 for example but that's not always the case.

i think another thing is that they've struggled to get a good chunk of the lineup really going at the same time. Pitchers pitch around guys that are hot knowing they have an easier out coming up.

7 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Interesting that the XBH's are going up after 60 pitches. At first I thought it was cause they'd be swinging out of heir shoes to tie games up and whatnot later in the game, but their strikeout and walk rates are improving as well. As predicted, you're on to something here DBTR.

Usually the Jays are getting rid of the starting pitcher by about the 7th inning. Usually they get the SP to 60 pitches by about the 4th inning. So, it is between about the 4th and the 7th inning that the graph is capturing. I am not measuring stats after the SP is pulled from the game. For example, Encarnacion's homer tonight wouldn't count in the graph because the pitcher he faced hadn't thrown more than 60 pitches.

It is certainly trending in the way that I expected, but I thought Bautista's stats would really be driving the higher avg. He is currently hitless after seeing 60 pitches though...

6 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Sounds about right....

On April 2, 2016, Delabar signed a minor league deal with the Cincinnati Reds.[22] On May 7, his contract was purchased by the Reds.[23] On May 17, in a game against the Cleveland Indians, Delabar walked four consecutive batters with the bases loaded thus allowing four runs to score. Delabar was designated for assignment by the Reds on May 21,[24] and sent outright to the Triple-A Louisville Bats on May 24.

Geeze, that's a tough day lol. I might designate myself for assignment after that one.

18 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Usually the Jays are getting rid of the starting pitcher by about the 7th inning. Usually they get the SP to 60 pitches by about the 4th inning. So, it is between about the 4th and the 7th inning that the graph is capturing. I am not measuring stats after the SP is pulled from the game. For example, Encarnacion's homer tonight wouldn't count in the graph because the pitcher he faced hadn't thrown more than 60 pitches.

It is certainly trending in the way that I expected, but I thought Bautista's stats would really be driving the higher avg. He is currently hitless after seeing 60 pitches though...

Yeah that's a little peculiar. JB takes such a methodical approach to hitting that I thought he'd be one really benefitting from seeing pitchers late into their outings. I think it was last season sportsnet had a broadcast graphic about JB's home runs and he was amongst the Major League leaders in home runs after the sixth inning or something like that. I think he'll revert to the norm over time, but I could just be saying that cause I like him.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Geeze, that's a tough day lol. I might designate myself for assignment after that one.

Yeah that's a little peculiar. JB takes such a methodical approach to hitting that I thought he'd be one really benefitting from seeing pitchers late into their outings. I think it was last season sportsnet had a broadcast graphic about JB's home runs and he was amongst the Major League leaders in home runs after the sixth inning or something like that. I think he'll revert to the norm over time, but I could just be saying that cause I like him.

Thats why the team is floundering in mediocraty..Bats.JD and EE  I dont think one of them is hitting above 250...the hits are down..the Hrs are down...runs scored are down...the league MVP isnt in sight of where he was last year...its not a mystery why this team should be well out of it soon if they dont turn it around.

27 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Thats why the team is floundering in mediocraty..Bats.JD and EE  I dont think one of them is hitting above 250...the hits are down..the Hrs are down...runs scored are down...the league MVP isnt in sight of where he was last year...its not a mystery why this team should be well out of it soon if they dont turn it around.

Yeah, much like tulo, there comes a time when you go from saying "they'll snap out of it" to "this just isn't their year". Luckily they're still very much in the hunt for a playoff spot so even if they're struggling we can't write them off yet. JB...maybe there's some age-related decline but he's still a productive player. He is getting up there in age though, but the beltrans of the world insist age is just a number lol. 

I think donaldson needs some protection in the lineup. EE is doing s decent job of this but I don't think it's really enough. Maybe a base stealing threat to get JD some more fastballs or something but something is off from last year. The Jays need Donaldson .

2 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, much like tulo, there comes a time when you go from saying "they'll snap out of it" to "this just isn't their year". Luckily they're still very much in the hunt for a playoff spot so even if they're struggling we can't write them off yet. JB...maybe there's some age-related decline but he's still a productive player. He is getting up there in age though, but the beltrans of the world insist age is just a number lol. 

I think donaldson needs some protection in the lineup. EE is doing s decent job of this but I don't think it's really enough. Maybe a base stealing threat to get JD some more fastballs or something but something is off from last year. The Jays need Donaldson .

I agree...Ortiz is another ageing star still getting it done...I have noticed that the strikeouts are way up this year for the big 4(others as well)...so many runners left on base...far too many...they have to start being selective again instead of going for the fences and leaving potential runs on the field.

6 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I agree...Ortiz is another ageing star still getting it done...I have noticed that the strikeouts are way up this year for the big 4(others as well)...so many runners left on base...far too many...they have to start being selective again instead of going for the fences and leaving potential runs on the field.

The other night...0-13 with RISP?! Inexcusable. Sometimes you gotta swallow the pride and slap the ball the other way, just do whatever it takes to get that run across. The sample size, to me, is now large enough that it's more than just a spell of bad luck. They're doing something wrong. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Jays lead the league in grounding into double plays. To me it would seem that part of this comes from guys lower in the order getting excited about a man on base and trying to hit the cover off the ball.

Pop flies and long fly balls dont get you on base...example..Saunders with that little squibber off the end of his bat...looked strange but he got on base....just far to many runners left on base...they certainly must be leading the league in that department.

• Upvote 1