The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

6 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Why people get on twitter and spout off is beyond me.......

SEATTLE — The Seattle Mariners suspended reserve catcher Steve Clevenger for the rest of the season without pay Friday in the wake of his tweets regarding a recent police shooting in Charlotte, North Carolina, and the Black Lives Matter movement.

"As soon as we became aware of the tweets posted by Steve yesterday we began to examine all of our options in regard to his standing on the team," General manager Jerry Dipoto said in a statement.

Dipoto said Clevenger was informed of the suspension on Friday.

Clevenger's Twitter account was changed to private Thursday night. Screen shots of the tweets showed Clevenger made disparaging comments about protesters and President Barack Obama, saying "everyone involved should be locked behind bars like animals!"

Clevenger released a statement to Fox Sports late Thursday night apologizing for "the distraction my tweets on my personal twitter page caused when they went public earlier today.

"I am sickened by the idea that anyone would think of me in racist terms," continued Clevenger's statement. "My tweets were reactionary to the events I saw on the news and were worded beyond poorly at best and I can see how and why someone could read into my tweets far more deeply than how I actually feel."

Clevenger appeared in 22 games for the Mariners this season. He was placed on the disabled list with a fractured hand on June 30.

If that's all the guy wrote, then why the suspension.  All "those involved [in the shooting and violence] should be locked up, like animals."  He should fight that suspension, and challenge those who are taking away his livelihood for voicing his honest opinion.  My goodness, how is what he wrote anything but correct?  

6 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Why people get on twitter and spout off is beyond me.......

SEATTLE — The Seattle Mariners suspended reserve catcher Steve Clevenger for the rest of the season without pay Friday in the wake of his tweets regarding a recent police shooting in Charlotte, North Carolina, and the Black Lives Matter movement.

"As soon as we became aware of the tweets posted by Steve yesterday we began to examine all of our options in regard to his standing on the team," General manager Jerry Dipoto said in a statement.

Dipoto said Clevenger was informed of the suspension on Friday.

Clevenger's Twitter account was changed to private Thursday night. Screen shots of the tweets showed Clevenger made disparaging comments about protesters and President Barack Obama, saying "everyone involved should be locked behind bars like animals!"

Clevenger released a statement to Fox Sports late Thursday night apologizing for "the distraction my tweets on my personal twitter page caused when they went public earlier today.

"I am sickened by the idea that anyone would think of me in racist terms," continued Clevenger's statement. "My tweets were reactionary to the events I saw on the news and were worded beyond poorly at best and I can see how and why someone could read into my tweets far more deeply than how I actually feel."

Clevenger appeared in 22 games for the Mariners this season. He was placed on the disabled list with a fractured hand on June 30.

Jocks making stupid comments? In other news, water is wet.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If that's all the guy wrote, then why the suspension.  All "those involved [in the shooting and violence] should be locked up, like animals."  He should fight that suspension, and challenge those who are taking away his livelihood for voicing his honest opinion.  My goodness, how is what he wrote anything but correct?  

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/09/23/steve-clevenger-suspended-racist-charlotte-tweets-seattle-mariners/90908618/

The guy's syntax is like Donald Trump.

Edited by Down by the River

1 hour ago, g_bassi13 said:

Also, does anyone know off hand, that of the teams remaining in the wild card standings, who the Jays have the best head to head record against? Would like to know who to cheer for and against while scoreboard watching.

My gut says Baltimore.

Looking at today's lineup, the Jays had 6 straight 20 home run hitters in the lineup:

Donaldson

Encarnacion

Bautista (technically, 19, but he's missed 150ish at bats)

Martin

Tulowitzki

Saunders

(with Upton also at the 20hr mark - and Smoak at 14 in 292 at bats).

Travis hitting over .300.

Pillar aint half bad either.

That's a nasty lineup.

If they can get the rotation rolling...

• Upvote 2