The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

11 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Apparently, Joey Bats looks to be heading back here in TO. Good to hear.

https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/820852142202175489?s=09

yep..I guess its almost done...

After two months of waiting, Jose Bautista is getting closer to going back to the only place he wanted to be.

The 36-year-old slugger is deep into discussions to return to Toronto, where he resurrected his career and hopes to revitalize it after his toughest season since his 2010 breakout, sources familiar with the talks told Yahoo Sports. The sides are focusing on a two-year deal that would guarantee him close to $40 million, though multiple iterations of an agreement have been bandied about, including a one-year contract. MLB.com first reported the sides were working on a deal.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Sorry for posting screen caps, but I dont know how to format twitter. I'm happy about this.

Saw this one, can't say it really upsets me. He was so awful in the second half of last season I never really wanted him back. Pair that sub-standard offence with brutal defense and you have a liability.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Saw this one, can't say it really upsets me. He was so awful in the second half of last season I never really wanted him back. Pair that sub-standard offence with brutal defense and you have a liability.

Agreed 100%, really didn't want him back. I'm honestly so happy Jose Bautista is back on the team though. 2 Years $35-40M is the deal and that's fair for both Joey and Jays. No one expected us to retain either player so this is awesome.

So after today I'm guessing:

Upton (Platoon with Carrera)

Donaldson

Bautista

Morales

Tulowitzki

Martin

Pillar 

Pearce

Travis

With Sanchez, Stroman, Happ and Estrada that's pretty damn good! All we need is Dioner Navarro and 1-2 more pen pitchers and money wise we can definitely afford it with the ~$8M left. Boston is good too but they also lost Ortiz so I like our chances. Morales is closer to Edwins numbers than Moreland is to Ortiz's. Also Cleveland lost Davis so not like any of the other teams got better without a hefty subtraction.

Edited by Xbox

3 minutes ago, BoKnows. said:
Deal was McCutchen+Watson for Harold Ramirez, Joe Biagini, Vlad Guerrero Jr, Sean Reid-Foley & Rowdy Tellez. 

Would've depleted the Jays system.

JB deal is relatively fair, like it.

Holy crap! It's nice to see management considering deals like this but happy that never happened in the end. We can thank the rest of the Blue Jays players for Jose's return.

17 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Holy crap! It's nice to see management considering deals like this but happy that never happened in the end. We can thank the rest of the Blue Jays players for Jose's return.

That deal sucked...Im glad it fell through..finally some sort of brain was used with prospects in mind...giving up Guerro would of been insane....yes...the Jays players went to bat for Bats..Pillar and Travis said as much in Regina the other day..  I didnt really want Bats back and it wasnt because of talent..it was his mouth and attitude that got to me...but Im sure he will bounce back from last year..team is looking competitive now..throw in Navarro and a BP arm....we should be good to go.

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Agreed 100%, really didn't want him back. I'm honestly so happy Jose Bautista is back on the team though. 2 Years $35-40M is the deal and that's fair for both Joey and Jays. No one expected us to retain either player so this is awesome.

So after today I'm guessing:

Upton (Platoon with Carrera)

Donaldson

Bautista

Morales

Tulowitzki

Martin

Pillar 

Pearce

Travis

With Sanchez, Stroman, Happ and Estrada that's pretty damn good! All we need is Dioner Navarro and 1-2 more pen pitchers and money wise we can definitely afford it with the ~$8M left. Boston is good too but they also lost Ortiz so I like our chances. Morales is closer to Edwins numbers than Moreland is to Ortiz's. Also Cleveland lost Davis so not like any of the other teams got better without a hefty subtraction.

I think the Os will suffer without Trumbo and Wieters .

If Shapiro & Co came in and took those left over from the previous regime to task over letting their prospects go in a playoff push, only to make that trade during an off-season, that would have been hilarious.

I'm happy that didn't happen though. It was overpayment, and I'm not high enough on McCutchen to make a trade like that for him.

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

That deal sucked...Im glad it fell through..finally some sort of brain was used with prospects in mind...giving up Guerro would of been insane....yes...the Jays players went to bat for Bats..Pillar and Travis said as much in Regina the other day..  I didnt really want Bats back and it wasnt because of talent..it was his mouth and attitude that got to me...but Im sure he will bounce back from last year..team is looking competitive now..throw in Navarro and a BP arm....we should be good to go.

Same, but then I kind of got over that and started to realize what a special player he was for us and how much of a franchise icon he is. He'll be fine in RF and if he's not, they'll probably put him at 1B. I still think Trumbo goes back to Baltimore though. Wonder how they'll address the catcher position? O's best be staying away from Dioner lol.

Really happy that Joey Bats will be back. sure he had a bad mouth from time to time but I always liked the guy and has cemented himself as a Jays legend. Hope that he continues to build his legacy this coming season and I'm sure we'll see more clutch bombs from him when we need it most. also Saunders going to the Phillies... he might bounce back but after his brutal 2nd half last season, I doubt it. Wish him all the best though. he hit a couple dingers for us last postseason

Deal makes sense imo.  A late 2nd from Cleveland wasn't worth it.

This gives them a legit power DH option

Glad they stepped up and paid JB and got this done.

Upton Pillar Carrera

Donaldson Tulo Travis Morales

Martin

Bautista

[Pierce, Pompey, Barney, Goins, Smoak, Jiminez]

Sanchez

Estrada

Happ

Stroman

Liriano

/

Osuna

Grilli

Biagini

A few tweaks / a utility player or two - and that lineup is reasonable enough imo.

Edited by oldnews